Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM

815 posts, read 1,855,453 times

Advertisements

I would recommend a chill neighborhood pub, not a "hot" nightlife spot. Chicago is loaded with neighborhood watering holes... you'll start seeing the same people over and over again. I can't really recommend such a place in Wickerpark but if you were in south loop/ravenswood/rogers park I could recommend a few watering holes. I'm sure they exist, but anytime I go to wicker park it's usually for a bit more rowdy nightlife.

That being said personally I think bars are terrible places to meet datable people. That has been my experience at least. I'm in my 30s and single and never spawned a relationship from a bar. Though have had plenty from elsewhere. I would recommend doing stuff you are interested in and being more social there...

Do you like to cook? go to a cooking class
Like to play tennis? Join a tennis club
Have some social cause? Go volunteer at that.
Never turn down an invite to a house party 10-20 people where it is expected that people are mingling.

If you do go to a bar... sit or hang out around the bar, not a table. Also get to know your bar tenders, they like to play matchmaker sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,718,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
That being said personally I think bars are terrible places to meet datable people.

No lie. What you mostly meet in bars are barflies.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,300,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
How abotu speed dating. Is there much of that in Chicago?
I can't imagine a shy person getting into speed dating. Personally, just the thought of it makes me ill.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,199,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Do you like to cook? go to a cooking class
Like to play tennis? Join a tennis club
Have some social cause? Go volunteer at that.
Never turn down an invite to a house party 10-20 people where it is expected that people are mingling.
This pretty well sums it up, and I agree with GreenTrails that Meetup can be a good way to find groups of people with similar interests. Just get involved in a group that is doing something you're interested in and you'll meet people. You may not find someone you start dating, but at least you'll find people to go to parties and bars with, and that will increase your chance of meeting someone. I have a friend who knew no one when he moved to Chicago but started to go to Linux User Group meetings. That's not the best place to meet women, but he met his wife at a birthday party for someone he met through the user group.

I would agree with all the previous posters who think bars are a bad place to meet people. It isn't the 1970's, and unless you're in college most people are going to bars to meet some friends and have a beer, not to make new friends or hook up.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM

425 posts, read 994,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I would agree with all the previous posters who think bars are a bad place to meet people. It isn't the 1970's, and unless you're in college most people are going to bars to meet some friends and have a beer, not to make new friends or hook up.
I think it depends where you are sitting in the bar - I have a couple of friends who recently moved to the US from the UK, and they have made lots of friends by going to bars (mostly the bars in restaurants), and sitting at the bar. They get friendly with the bartender, who then introduces them to some of the regulars. It can happen, even though this isn't the 70's (not that I would know - I was too young to go to bars in the 70's...)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 PM

815 posts, read 1,855,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
I think it depends where you are sitting in the bar - I have a couple of friends who recently moved to the US from the UK, and they have made lots of friends by going to bars (mostly the bars in restaurants), and sitting at the bar. They get friendly with the bartender, who then introduces them to some of the regulars. It can happen, even though this isn't the 70's (not that I would know - I was too young to go to bars in the 70's...)
Yeah that's why I said actually sit at the bar. But even so...they met friends, not dates :P The bar is where you go to gossip about your dates, with your friends.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 AM

425 posts, read 994,177 times
But if you can make friends at a bar, they could be of both genders, right? It might not lead to a date immediately, but you increase your circle of friends, you increase your opportunity of finding someone to date. JMO

Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,646,038 times
How about Guthries? Not necessarily quiet, but good place to meet people and it's not crazy.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,555,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I live in Wicker Park and looking for a nice, quiet bar where I have a shot at meeting nice people and possibly a date later on. Anyone know of a good place for a person like me? I'm not interested in trying to meet people in a place like a church. I'm not religious and won't ever be again. Online dating hasn't been working for me at all either. So I'm ready to just go out and embarrass myself if I have to in order to finally meet someone. I just want to get down to the point. Anyone know of a good place? You will probably save my life. Or not.
This sounds more suited for the relationship forum, most girls dont like the shy, quiet guy, so if you want to meet chicks in any bar, you have to stop being shy and approach someone.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM

818 posts, read 2,168,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
This sounds more suited for the relationship forum, most girls dont like the shy, quiet guy, so if you want to meet chicks in any bar, you have to stop being shy and approach someone.
Well, that would be true if the OP were asking for advice on how to meet women at a bar, but I am not sure that is the case. Seems like the OP was asking if we knew which bars in the Wicker Park neighborhood had a certain atmosphere; not focused around something like sporting events, and where he does not have to talk over loud music.

I don't know if the ideal place exists in Wicker Park, but I would try Lemmings or Blue Line Lounge and Grill... Violet Hour if you want to go classier.

I do, however, agree with the above statements that there may be better ways to meet women- if you are looking for a relationship, and there is some good advice in some of those posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: