Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And the Irving/Albany Park turf war rages on. 2 killed, 2 wounded in 2 separate shootings in the last 2 days: 3100 block of W. Montrose and 4000 block of N Bernard.

Chi-town Native, since you asked about them before, area residents have said the Royals are involved in a number of these incidents.
Man, this is getting crazy. The two winters I lived in Albany Park were, for the most part, quiet. Usually the crazies and gang-bangers don't really emerge in full until May.

It's the late onset of snow, I tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Man, this is getting crazy. The two winters I lived in Albany Park were, for the most part, quiet. Usually the crazies and gang-bangers don't really emerge in full until May.

It's the late onset of snow, I tell you!
Could also be something as simple as a feud over a girl. These aren't the most forward of deep thinkers on the planet.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
You could easily say "East Wicker Park" and almost everyone would understand. It's more important to be understood than to be completely correct according to assorted pedants on the internet (not pointing any fingers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Whoops. Wrong about U of C. Not sure where I picked that little bit of misinformation up.
The original community area map from the 1920s was done by sociology graduate students. The map is a useful reference because those boundaries were fixed then and have remained the same. Note that you are correct in the general methodology; the community area names are artifacts of the oral history of that time, not handed down from the heavens on stone tablets. Indeed, some of the more generic names in the central city are as such because the largely immigrant, non-Anglophone population gave too many conflicting answers for a consensus to emerge.

That said, the community area map is not the definitive map of neighborhood names. Usage of names, like the rest of language, shifts over time, as do social boundaries -- sometimes because new boundaries arise. The community area map largely divides along railroads and the river, since those were the big barriers in the 1920s. Then, a generation later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Avondale definitely got an identity crisis after the highway cut it on the long diagonal.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The original community area map from the 1920s was done by sociology graduate students. The map is a useful reference because those boundaries were fixed then and have remained the same. Note that you are correct in the general methodology; the community area names are artifacts of the oral history of that time, not handed down from the heavens on stone tablets. Indeed, some of the more generic names in the central city are as such because the largely immigrant, non-Anglophone population gave too many conflicting answers for a consensus to emerge.
I would love to see a book which had a chapter dedicated to each community area and how UC devised the boundaries and decided on the name. I wonder if this material exists at UC anywhere...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I will note there has been at least one change from the original community map, namely Edgewater separating from Uptown. That's why you have this odd Community Area #77 amongst all the low-numbered community areas on the north shore. Also, annexation continued beyond the 1920s so I would imagine the map had to change to accommodate the new borders.

Many of the community areas have the names they have because that's what they were called when they were their own municipalities before they got annexed by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago