Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm23 View Post
The back roads aren't magically clear of traffic at all times, if that's what you're hoping. If the highways are really congested, the back roads will be quite congested too. Maybe not as bad, but bad enough so that the congestion+lower speeds+stoplights will make it about the same speed (i suspect; never actually timed both and compare) as the severely congested highway.

Also, the suburbs might not be designed for bicycling. I'm not sure if you're allowed to bike on the sidewalk in Skokie, but if you weren't, biking around the area where you work may not be the most enjoyable experience.
I see your point.

I'm also thinking I could take the Yellow Metra line (Clybourne station is right next to my house) to Jefferson Park and then the Pace bus to Howard and Lehigh, which is right around the corner from the office... my only question is how long would this take? Would this be an hour commute? If it would be 40 minutes or even 45, I think it would be my best option. Especially if driving takes me an hour. At least if I'm on the metra I'll be able to read or even do work for my other job while I'm traveling... what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
If you have a car, I would just drive. I-94 is unpredictable, in my experience, but you aren't really going all that far. I drive from Wicker Park to Evanston regularly taking Western the entire way. It takes between 20 and 45 minutes depending on the time of day.

Personally, I get worn out with a lot of transfers, especially if you are planning on using Metra because their schedule is much more structured than the CTA's. If you miss a train by a minute you may end up waiting 30+ minutes for the next one, especially with a reverse commute.

Both bucktown and the location of your new job are by 90/94. I don't see why you wouldn't drive. Also, I suggest you look at google maps again and add the traffic layer. On the bottom of the page, you will be able to change from live traffic to traffic at a particular day and time. So, you can see what traffic typically looks like on Monday at 7:30 am, or on Thursday at 5:00 pm.

If you have any flexibility in your work schedule, you can definitely use that to your advantage to cut down on your commute as well. Going in early will mean less traffic, for example. From what I know of driving to the suburbs during the AM rush hour, the traffic is worse before 90 and 94 split. 94 generally isn't horrible (yellow as opposed to red).

You are really only talking about driving 9 miles. That is not that far. Get some good music for your car and don't stress yourself out about it. You know traffic is going to be unpredictable and annoying at times, but I can't see how using Metra plus a bike or Metra plus PACE would be any less annoying or frustrating.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Default Doing the math...

As an add on to what I posted above...

You basically have to go 10 miles at most. So, as long as you average 15 miles per hour on your commute, you will get there in 40 minutes. I don't think 15mph is an unrealistic expectation for a morning commute, especially if you have some schedule flexibility and can come in early or come in a little later and work later.

So there is that, for what it is worth.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Nikitakolata, you make a valid point.

We just moved here and for the first 2 weeks we were staying in a hotel by Midway and I was driving from Midway area to bucktown every day to clean and get our apartment ready before we moved in. That was only a 10 mile drive too, but the traffic at any given time was horrendous. It took me an hour or more on the highway or back roads, it didn't matter which. I guess I'm just trying to avoid that kind of commute at all costs. And if this drive is anything like that, then I'd rather take public transit. It looks like driving to Skokie/Niles would be better than that because I'm not driving through downtown. But that's why I was trying to get a better idea of what it's going to be like.

Also when we found out we were moving to Chicago, I had this image in my head of taking the train to work. This is the first time I've lived anywhere when I've had the option of reliable public transportation. It's something that really excited me about Chicago. But I want to be practical; if it's more efficient to drive then of course I'd rather do that...

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 10-28-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Nikitakolata, you make a valid point.

We just moved here and for the first 2 weeks we were staying in a hotel by Midway and I was driving from Midway area to bucktown every day to clean and get our apartment ready before we moved in. That was only a 10 mile drive too, but the traffic at any given time was horrendous. It took me an hour or more on the highway or back roads, it didn't matter which. I guess I'm just trying to avoid that kind of commute at all costs. And if this drive is anything like that, then I'd rather take public transit. It looks like driving to Skokie/Niles would be better than that because I'm not driving through downtown. But that's why I was trying to get a better idea of what it's going to be like.

Also when we found out we were moving to Chicago, I had this image in my head of taking the train to work. This is the first time I've lived anywhere when I've had the option of reliable public transportation. It's something that really excited me about Chicago. But I want to be practical; if it's more efficient to drive then of course I'd rather do that...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I like the train as well, and for where I work (the loop) driving would be insane; not because of the time it would take, but because of the expense of parking.

I drive from Wicker Park to Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette regularly. It really isn't that bad, and I've actually been surprised at how quickly traffic on the Edens moves (that's 94 after it splits from 90; if you're new here you probably haven't committed all the highway names and numbers to memory yet, which is something I could write a whole thread on in and of itself).

I don't think you can compare driving from Bucktown to Skokie to driving from Lincoln Park to Skokie all that accurately. In my experience, the worst part about driving to/from Lincoln Park is the east-west portion. There are tons of stop sign and lights and it just takes forever. Bucktown is right next to the expressway, and if you live near the Clybourn metra station, I know it's very close to you. I have a friend who lives in Bucktown now and drives to Park Ridge for work daily. She could very easily take a train but prefers to drive. Another friend also lived in Bucktown and commuted all the way to North Chicago (the suburb, not the northern part of the city) every day for work. That was a long drive, but she still preferred it to taking the train, even though she could walk to the Clybourn stop.

Anyway, I recommend you just try out driving there during rush hour, if you can. I don't think it is as horrible as you are imagining, based on my experience.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Howard and Lehigh, you say? We'll practically be work-neighbors!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Howard and Lehigh, you say? We'll practically be work-neighbors!
What a coincidence! How do you like the area? Do you drive to work?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
What a coincidence! How do you like the area? Do you drive to work?
Well, it's an older industrial park area, so it seems like if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I commute to work by bicycle unless the weather is absolutely foul (see: the blizzard in February.)

Also, my commute is from Andersonville, so it'll have a completely different dynamic.

I also held this job when I lived in Bridgeport, so I'd schlep up 90/94 from 31st every day. I'm on a flex schedule, but typically start at 7AM and leave by 3:30, which means traffic on 90-94 hasn't gotten HORRIBLE yet (it gets bad at Touhy, so if you drive, get off at Caldwell/ rt 14.)

However, if you leave work later and start at more traditional times, it might suck. Even when I lived in Albany Park @ Kedzie and Wilson, the difference between leaving @ 6:30, 7:15, and even 7:30 AM were entirely different.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Depends entirely on the time of day.

9 pm to 7 am - piece of cake. 20 minutes door to desk.

7-10 am and 3-7 pm. Very unpredictable and could be an hour. May be better to take Western Avenue, or a roundabout route like Elston to Crawford. Get a GPS with traffic receiver, or a smartphone equivalent.

10 am to 3 pm and 7-9 pm - in between. Allow 40 minutes but YMMV.

good luck.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM

124 posts, read 219,759 times
Why not try driving there and back during the times you'd be going and coming home to see how long it it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago