Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I would love any enlightenment re: "Won't shut up about their hands." What's that referring to? Hunting? Blue collar labor?
yeah that's the only one i can't figure out

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Huh? I love both Wisconsin and Michigan. Iowa is nice too.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
All i have to say is Agreed 10000%.
As we saw with other cities when you isolate yourself from the surrouding region bad things are coming.

Also Chi-Town Native that picture was downright hilarious. I need to save that cause that made my day
Yeah, whatever that means...

I'd argue the opposite of the premise of this thread, actually. Chicagoans in my experience like to engage people about where they're from and they actually have enough knowledge to keep the conversation going, unlike New Yorkers who have ridiculous notions of even the states that are right next to them.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
No - It's whenever you ask someone from Michigan where they're from, they instantaneously throw up their left paw and point out their origins on their hand.
ah, interesting, thanks!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
I'd say the phenomenon of actually berating the states around us is confined to the elitists. There are elitists everywhere you go, but there are more in big cities/ trendy neighborhoods. These same people actually also frequently berate parts of Chicago and the metro area for many of the same reason they berate these other states.

Most of the other times you hear people making comments about the surrounding states/ area it is either related to sports rivalries (especially St. Louis, Minneapolis, Detroit, Wisconsin), or sometimes it is even someone just making a joke. I like to make jokes about surrounding states all the time, but by no means hate them, and I am not making them from a Chicago is great and your state is worthless point of view.

So, I would say that it is unhealthy, but only for those few people that are actually elitists.
For the rest of us, I don't think there is anything unhealthy about occasionally making fun of how Wisconsinites look at anyone that says they don't like cheese curds as if they are some kind of an alien or something, or complaining about the Cardinals winning another world series when our team hasn't won one in over 100 years.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
You've clearly never been to Indiana.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
There are elitists everywhere you go, but there are more in big cities/ trendy neighborhoods. These same people actually also frequently berate parts of Chicago and the metro area for many of the same reason they berate these other states.
I was actually thinking this when I opened the thread, but it amused me more to make a crack about the rest of the Midwest. To be slightly more serious, I've encountered entirely too many people who peer over their monocles at any part of the city not on the North side along the Brown or Red Lines. "You mean you don't live in Lakeview? You may as well hang yourself with piano wire!"

Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM

124 posts, read 219,737 times
Come on. Unhealthy? Really? I say stuff about Wisconsin all the time, because it sucks. Same with all the other states surrounding us. Everyone I know who was raised in the area is like that. It's just like when you support a sports team. When the Red Wings come into town, I'm chanting, "Detroit SUCKS!" Is that unhealthy? No, that's part of a rivalry. Every state I've ever been to it's like that. We're not going out and killing people from Wisconsin and Indiana, just letting them know that they suck and we'll always be better.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM

408 posts, read 997,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas4rabbits View Post
This is just a casual observation. But it is prominent enough to topic. There seems to be an inordinate amount of berating by so many Chicagoans toward the states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, etc. The most oddball and abusive relationship is with Wisconsin. There is almost like an inferior superior dynamic thing going on, but you would kinda expect the inferiority to come from Wisconsin more, but I see many Chicagoans exhibit inferiority traits, even about places like St Louis??! It seems that there is a lot of unprovoked hatred toward the neighbors and a lot of patronizing behavior, and you would think with the amount of time, energy, and money they spend in those other states, especially upper Wisconsin and Michigan, that Chicagoans could find better things to say about these places without sounding like douchnozzles. Realize there are those thousands of people originally FROM Wisconsin or even still live there who help Chicago's or Illinois' struggling economy too, and often every single day, not just on weekends in summer!
Having recognized your name from another post, I noticed that the trend with your comments (from your history) on this forum gravitates toward complaining about Chicago. Why do you post threads and commentary that consistently speak negatively about the same region or city, and what do you expect out of it?

Last edited by Aerio; 10-31-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
I've noticed very little animosity from Chicagoans towards other states, and I certainly haven't seen people being obsessed with it. The little animosity I have seen is balanced by people from other states complaining about Chicagoans. This is especially true when you get into touristy areas like Door County, Lake Geneva, or SW Michigan. The locals there are continually annoyed or amused by the cluelessness of vacationing Chicagoans.

You can find equivalents in any other part of the country - New Yorkers make fun of New Jersey, people in New Hampshire frequently use the term "Massh*le", and Texans look down on the rest of the country. There are plenty of global equivalents as well - just ask someone who's Cornish or Welsh what they think of the English. In all cases I think there is always a small percentage of people who might be more vocal in their opinions, but that's always a small minority, and Chicago is no different from the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago