Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:26 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,914,143 times

Advertisements

I've stated this before and stand accused of axe-grinding, but Chicago is, overall, very insecure.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,487,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

I think the reason Indiana is the Black hole is all the businesses are coming here.
As a Real Black hole sucks everything in.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,487,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Doesn't everyone make fun of Indiana? someone needs to tell Indiana they are lost and need to return to it's original spot in line in between Mississippi and Alabama.

LOL really.............
And this is the stuff that explains why Mitch Daniels is taking jobs from Illinois/surrounding states.
Honestly if you showed us some respect we wouldn't have much of an incentive to take jobs from you but instead work with you as our neighbors.
But i bet our neighbors are just jealous we have the #1 business climate in the country and were getting all this national recognition.
Really though if you want follow what we did to balance the budget etc. it actually wasn't anything radical or hard that Mitch Daniels passed.

Sunny actually Indiana only looks down upon NorthWest Indiana.
Fort Wayne gets pretty good treatment and were fine with them.
however the area we call the Region contiunes for the past 50 years to send the same corruption people to Indy to represent them and as we all know Lake county's corruption is as bad as Chicago's.
So NWI is going to be treated the same until they clean up their act and unlike in Illinois the rest of the state will hold them in check and not the other way around.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,587,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
LOL really.............
And this is the stuff that explains why Mitch Daniels is taking jobs from Illinois/surrounding states.
Honestly if you showed us some respect we wouldn't have much of an incentive to take jobs from you but instead work with you as our neighbors.
But i bet our neighbors are just jealous we have the #1 business climate in the country and were getting all this national recognition.
Really though if you want follow what we did to balance the budget etc. it actually wasn't anything radical or hard that Mitch Daniels passed.

however the area we call the Region contiunes for the past 50 years to send the same corruption people to Indy to represent them and as we all know Lake county's corruption is as bad as Chicago's.
So NWI is going to be treated the same until they clean up their act and unlike in Illinois the rest of the state will hold them in check and not the other way around.
Slow day in the Indiana forum?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,838,941 times
Quote:
LOL really.............
how about showing some respect and doing something about the flood of handguns that come to Chicago from your state?

that would be nice.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,052,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's great if you're a part of the "cosmopolitan" inner circle. But none of these cities with the possible exception of Madison are outwardly cosmopolitan in any significant way, and even Madison's "cosmopolitan" aspect is substantially limited by its size. The benefit of a truly cosmopolitan city, or at least one that has a substantial cosmopolitan element, is that the cosmopolitan institutions are available to anyone at any time who wants a taste of it.
Yeah, I am a bit of an elitist. I teach college, (although transitioning to the private sector). So to me in Chicago:

Evanston and Hyde Park = cosmopolitan
Little Village, Belmont Cragin, Mt. Greenwood, Garfield Ridge, Licnoln Park, Wrigleyville to me at least = no. Those are examples where Chicago has neighborhood diversity, yet is homogenous within the neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,587,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yeah, I am an elitist. I teach college, (although transitioning to the private sector). So to me in Chicago:

Evanston and Hyde Park = cosmopolitan
Little Village, Mt. Greenwood, Garfield Ridge, Licnoln Park, Wrigleyville to me at least = no.
Wait, Madison is cosmopolitan and Lincoln Park isn't?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,052,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Only problem with this picture is the ''Civilisation'' size is way too big...should be a speck (aka lakefront from Roosevelt to Irving Park Rd/west to Ashland).
You are correct. Because anything outside of that, is not the Chicago that is superlative. And anyone who lives ouside, or spent the better half of their life outside those boudaries, should not really personally claim it as their own, (meaning if they are one of those berating surrounding states, they should be accused of the pot calling the kettle black).

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,075,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, I've been to every place on this list except Ann Arbor. (BTW, MSU is in East Lansing, not Lansing.) Of the rest, the only one that comes close to being "cosmopolitan" is Madison, and that's mostly relative to its size. It's a real stretch to call any of the rest "cosmopolitan."
Drover, I was referring to the area being open minded.
Not Cosmopolitan
TEX said it was cosmo. I agreed with the open minded /liberal part

Yes it was an oversight MSU E. Lansing vs. Lansing.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 11-01-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,075,994 times
Quote:
LOL really.............

What national recognition. For the Governor tripping up on phantom job creator LITE BOX.
With due respect Indy is a great place but as far as a creator of jobs, I would seriously question that statement.

Dont forget Illinois is lower yes lower in an overall tax burden to businesses.
I posted that with the link about two weeks back.
There was an article in Crain's
Once again our lovely media outlets looking for blood in a story line.
I was actually a bit surprised Crain's published an article highlighting the overall lower tax environment for Illlinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago