Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,553 times

Advertisements

Hi
Myself and my friend are moving to Chicago from Ireland in Sept '12. I know it's very early days but if anyone had any tips on the best locations to move to it would be greatly appreciated. We will be on a modest budget and less face it expect to be sleeping on air beds when we arrive for the foreseeable future so we are not looking for anything in the high end market.
Cheers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,506,250 times
what kinds of things are you interested in? What is your likely rent budget? where will your job(s) be located?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,409 times
Default moving to Chicago aria

Hello everybody,
I am waiting for job in Bedford Park and my husband in Skokie. I am looking for safe and nice arias in the middle. I need good elementary and middle schools.
thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,506,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city12345 View Post
Hello everybody,
I am waiting for job in Bedford Park and my husband in Skokie. I am looking for safe and nice arias in the middle. I need good elementary and middle schools.
thanks
There is quite a large amount of land Between Skokie and Bedford Park... give more specific examples of what you are looking for

Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,478,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clionadh View Post
Hi
Myself and my friend are moving to Chicago from Ireland in Sept '12. I know it's very early days but if anyone had any tips on the best locations to move to it would be greatly appreciated. We will be on a modest budget and less face it expect to be sleeping on air beds when we arrive for the foreseeable future so we are not looking for anything in the high end market.
Cheers!!
There are scores of discussions archived on this forum in which the same questiions are asked, and answered. Rather than attempting to repeat what's already been well said, maybe you can read those discussions, take from them what's helpful to you, then you can return here to ask for some clarifications.

This is a big city. And you've asked a very open ended question. A question the answer to which isn't possible to intillegntly offer at this time given the very little information you've provided.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,056,354 times
Lakeview.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
Default Also moving to Chicago in Sept from Ireland

Hi, see you in terminal 2!
I'm moving Irl-Chi in sept too. Don't think the replies here were good, but some other ones were more helpful. Seems the biggest headache after the visa is figuring out where to rent and what taxes etc to watch out for when agreeing to rent a place. Not like home where just hand over cash, sign up and off you go...Then buying a car - fun with no credit history. Has anyone helped you with this stuff? Internations.com seems like a good forum too?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,844,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksirl View Post
Hi, see you in terminal 2!
I'm moving Irl-Chi in sept too. Don't think the replies here were good, but some other ones were more helpful. Seems the biggest headache after the visa is figuring out where to rent and what taxes etc to watch out for when agreeing to rent a place. Not like home where just hand over cash, sign up and off you go...Then buying a car - fun with no credit history. Has anyone helped you with this stuff? Internations.com seems like a good forum too?
Congrats. First, I'm going to say that if you're renting you don't have to worry about many taxes. The taxes you will have to worry about are stuff like state and federal income tax, and stuff like that in your paycheck. For day-to-day life stuff buying goods, you'd only have to worry about sales tax and whatever.

As far as the car thing goes, you don't need to own a car in Chicago if you live in many areas. There's extensive public transit here, the city is very walkable in many areas, and there's cabs everywhere in case you do. You could buy a car, but depending on where you end up living, it may not be that useful and you might end up wasting money paying for things such as insurance. I don't own a car for example, and I don't regret it at all. I hardly ever need one, and when I do I can use a cab or zip car.

As far as why not many people responded to the OP? They didn't provide much information about what they're looking for except "on a budget." What's the budget? What kind of activities do you like doing (i.e. bar, restaurant,music, comedy, parks, etc)? All those things factor into getting suggestions on where to live in this city.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,172,329 times
Oak Park is filled with folks of Irish extraction.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,627,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Oak Park is filled with folks of Irish extraction.
So is Beverly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago