Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I cannot abide but the lunacy with which this thread was started, look in today's Sunday Trib for yet another article of why Illinois is worse off than other states. Front page article goes on for a whole page of how, exactly, a superintendent whose large district in the NW burbs (where are unfortunately large humber of homeowners probably assumes schools were fine..) has been hugely negatively impacted by the "EAD" that geniuses from Sears are trying to extend.

The madness of "one off" legislation that tries to pit schools against companies looking to extend tax breaks / play other desperate states off one another.

Increases taxes all you want on even leveraged buy out guys like Eddie Lampert but that won't change the sort of hijinks that companies feel they have to pull to escape Illinos' unfair taxes.

While you are looking the Trib also check out their editorial detailing the abuses that insiders have pulled to get undeserved pensions out of the teachers union. The leaders of these unions are IN ON THE SCAM -- spend literally ONE DAY as sub and never contribute to the system and get signed up benefits that others have paid into for decades!

Undo these kinds of abuses and maybe there is something to sing kumbaya to ...
Come on Chet, at least evince a basic awareness of how the media works. Newspapers LOVE to tell you how much worse things (especially politics, because that's what media people get jazzed about) are in your hometown than elsewhere. It keeps local news relevant, it keeps you buying the paper for something other than high school sports scores. The Plain Dealer in Cleveland is one example of a paper that loves to portray its hometown as a corruption-riddled dump. I'm not going to say the articles aren't worth reading for the purpose of identifying the jerks and replacing them, but the conclusion of "oh my God, our city is so corrupt" is useful only to the bottom line of the paper. The papers must love you, Chet.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I know full well how media works and believe me I do not lessons on such things from somebody from Cleveland.

It will be your misery that results from your own willful ignorance.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I know full well how media works and believe me I do not lessons on such things from somebody from Cleveland.

It will be your misery that results from your own willful ignorance.
Like everything that sounds pulled from a fortune cookie, I'm going to take this very seriously.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

You should.

When you vote for people that lie about what they will do to reform government, change taxes, and make things better maybe the track record of theirs that has been laid out in the press should have entered into your decision.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Like everything that sounds pulled from a fortune cookie, I'm going to take this very seriously.
tribe, you sound like a great guy and one we'd love have visit Chicago. Check out Chinatown when you're here; you won't find anything quite like it back home,near the Flats, Terminal Tower, or even when they do those weiner roasts on the self-igniting Cayahoya grill.We feel great affinity with you Clevelanders (even if you guys can't spell Moses Cleaveland) and look forward one of these years to a Cub-Indian World Series, the first for either team since the Civil War.

You'll like the fortune cookies, although the almond cookies are much better. And the food is delicious, although the won ton soup often gets corrupted with excessive, undercooked pork stuffed into the dumbling (offending not only our large Chinese community but Rahm Emanuel and our large Jewish community as well). think of our town as an oversized Oakland, where Mayor Quan has managed to allienate every group in the city.

you never had a chance here, tribe. the fact that your city once had the ultimate mayor who should not only be a presidential candidate but be the winner in the form of a (very, very,non-corrupt) Dennis Kucinich is enough to put hatred for you deep into chet's (virtually unlocatable and miniscule) heart, our friend chet being somewhere to the right of Atillia the Hun, politically speaking, but without the horse. or the charming personality.

as your palette and mine can tell us, corruption is a very, very bad thing.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM

I live in Chicago now, but thanks for the kind words anyway, edsg25.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Laugh.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Laugh.
now there's the spirit we love from you, boy. nothing like a good laugh to let the juices start flowing again, well, other than a good............

but short of that, it works.

this is the real chet, the one we know and love, the wild-and-crazy SNL type of guy. Second City from the Second City.

remember the motto of Riverview: laugh your troubles away

a few laughs and a few more beers, chet, you'll actually be singing the praises of and enjoying the heck out of corrupt government.

just for the Tammany Hell of it.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Right

http://goo.gl/TYlQ3

Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
chet, you were aware that I am prepared to give a $500 check to the BGA if only you will put a (way, way) overdue end to this thread.

(however, I'm so glad that you and Boss Tweed are in agreement with me on this one. Thanksgiving's coming up, chet: it's a turkey in everybody's pot.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago