Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Is segregation really more a matter of class then race?
These days, yes, it's more economics and culture. I lived in Lincoln Park in a 6 unit condo building and a black couple moved into one of them. What are people going to do? Throw a fit? No one cared, we all said hi to them and carried on as usual.

Drugs, gangs and crime - that's what people care about, not so much the color of your skin. Unfortunately crime and race seem to be very correlated in this city, so for many people "bad neighborhood" could inadvertantly then mean "black neighborhood". People avoid drugs, gangs and violence and that morphs into "you're racist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
I just moved from Chicago about a year ago. I was borned and raised there, and I have always found it to be segregated. It seems to me the only people that really have a problem with the city being segregated are many of us African Americans. The other races and ethnic groups seemed to be just fine with it. I will speak for myself on this, but the reason I wanted to live in an intergrated part of the city is because those areas seemed more vibrant and interesting. They were less crime ridden. Many of the African Americans in Chicago are just not easy to get along with. Many of us complain about being discriminated against by Whites and Hispanics, but we are sometimes just as bad as the Whites(especially the Irish) and the Hispanics (Mexicans) when it comes to discrimination. Strangely, while living in Chicago, I was hit on by mostly whites than any other race. When I got my first apartment it was in Hyde Park. At the time I moved to Hyde Park it had changed and had become more crime ridden, but still not as bad as other parts of the south side. I lived around the corner from the old movie theatre. I'm just glad to be away from Chicago. It was very depressing living there. It has had an impact on how I view people based on their race and ethnicity. I am not sterotyped where I live now as much as I was in Chicago by Whites, Hispanics and even African Americans. The people are so much nicer and friendlier and it's not as segregated. Here, people know a good, descent human being when they see one.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
I just moved from Chicago about a year ago. I was borned and raised there, and I have always found it to be segregated. It seems to me the only people that really have a problem with the city being segregated are many of us African Americans. The other races and ethnic groups seemed to be just fine with it. I will speak for myself on this, but the reason I wanted to live in an intergrated part of the city is because those areas seemed more vibrant and interesting. They were less crime ridden. Many of the African Americans in Chicago are just not easy to get along with. Many of us complain about being discriminated against by Whites and Hispanics, but we are sometimes just as bad as the Whites(especially the Irish) and the Hispanics (Mexicans) when it comes to discrimination. Strangely, while living in Chicago, I was hit on by mostly whites than any other race. When I got my first apartment it was in Hyde Park. At the time I moved to Hyde Park it had changed and had become more crime ridden, but still not as bad as other parts of the south side. I lived around the corner from the old movie theatre. I'm just glad to be away from Chicago. It was very depressing living there. It has had an impact on how I view people based on their race and ethnicity. I am not sterotyped where I live now as much as I was in Chicago by Whites, Hispanics and even African Americans. The people are so much nicer and friendlier and it's not as segregated. Here, people know a good, descent human being when they see one.
And where do you live now? A place called Heaven?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
Quote:

LOL...that was funny I don't live in heaven. I live in central Illinois now. A small town. I will be here for another three years then I plan to move to Florida. I know racism, segregation, and discrimination are everywhere, I just feel for some of us certain cities are just more so that way.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
It sounds like you have the hometown syndrome.

I've met many blacks in Chicago that are nice and easy to get along with. I would go as far to say that Chicago is far better than any other place in terms of meeting quality people. Especially blacks. I would have to admit that I mostly deal with transplants but thats been my experience.

I guess our conflicting experience can show every one that you can have the same city and get a totally different experience.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would go as far to say that Chicago is far better than any other place in terms of meeting quality people
What? I guess that you've never been anywhere else besides Chicago.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What? I guess that you've never been anywhere else besides Chicago.
Thats a silly comment.

I've lived in Chicago for almost 4 years. Travel all over the US. Lived in several cities. My comment is based upon my opinion that comes from my experience.

I've found most that disagree with me live in a Chicago thats only southside or westside. I could be wrong but thats what I've experienced.

Im looking at Chicago as a whole city not just one block or one side of town. IMO, its a great city.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Thats a silly comment.

I've lived in Chicago for almost 4 years. Travel all over the US. Lived in several cities. My comment is based upon my opinion that comes from my experience.

I've found most that disagree with me live in a Chicago thats only southside or westside. I could be wrong but thats what I've experienced.

Im looking at Chicago as a whole city not just one block or one side of town. IMO, its a great city.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've done a fair bit of travelling myself and the only things that stand out about Chicago are food, the lakefront and downtown. The people (escpecailly the women) are nothing special or interesting for the most part.

Also, the south and west sides are basically two-thirds of the city so the vast majority of people living here apparently disagree with you. It's not like my opinion of this place would change if I moved to another side of town anyway.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've done a fair bit of travelling myself and the only things that stand out about Chicago are food, the lakefront and downtown. The people (escpecailly the women) are nothing special or interesting for the most part.

Also, the south and west sides are basically two-thirds of the city so the vast majority of people living here apparently disagree with you. It's not like my opinion of this place would change if I moved to another side of town anyway.
The food, lakefront and downtown are great things to have. (those are some of my favorite things as well) add to that the soul, energy and the opportunity that comes from living in a big city. It still maintains a midwest character mixed in with its sophistication.

I dont date women but I do see your point. I see too many that are nasty, aggressive and flat out mean. The others have this idea look at me, I'm bold and beautiful, dont you want me??? The answer is hell naw. A well dressed girly girl type is very hard to find here. I would have to admit that the south has a much better selection of women. Especially Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte.

Its easier to date as a gay black man in chicago than it is for our straight counterparts.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,386 times
Am I alone in hating big cities and trying to avoid them now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago