Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 05:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,501,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, let me help you all out here and maybe save you some $$$ - go to the Foremost Liquors on Wellington & Ashland, best prices on good beer I have *ever* seen in Chicago, I still make my way there whenever I can to stock up.
Better than the Foremosts in Logan Square, Gladstone Park, and Albany Park? Because those 3 places are over-priced, sometimes horribly so.

Sorry for the off topic-ness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, let me help you all out here and maybe save you some $$$ - go to the Foremost Liquors on Wellington & Ashland, best prices on good beer I have *ever* seen in Chicago, I still make my way there whenever I can to stock up.
West Lakeview Liquors, located in Roscoe Village/St. Bens despite its name.

Also sorry for the off topic-ness. (sort of)

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM

72 posts, read 142,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
If it's self segregation due to culture then I don't see much of the concern.
True, but the actions of our parents are what's causing a ripple effect on the quality of life for generation X, Y, and M. Albeit a bit vague, look at those 7 kids from Bridgeport as an example. From careful observations, I can almost guarantee you that none of those ABC's (American Born Asians) have any close black friends. It is culturally taboo for any Caucasian and Asian, excluding the rare cases of environmental racism, to refer someone using the N word. It appears only Hispanics and Blacks can, without much criticism excluding the brutal stupidity, use the term. Yet in NYC and Cali (I still disagree with their Cali's logic), they (Generation X, Y, M under environmental circumstances) are allowed to refer to each other using such term. Oddly enough, I got into a weird conversation with guy from Gage Park on the red line, and what we both agreed upon; and I quote him "... (laughing) them Asians can't use the -N word-, cause they don't know what life is like for you and me. They just some little P---- a-- thinking they got game, when all they do is separate themselves."

There's also the coal plants in Pilsen and Little Village; sure it's rich in "culture" but a majority of the first generations (X,Y, and M) are losing their cultural authenticity; i.e. speaking broken Spanish. Those two coal plants, Fisk and Crawford, are a leading cause for an increase in asthma and potentials for cardiac arrest. C.A.R.E. (Clean Air Task Force) sent mobile vans around the neighborhoods examining children for signs of asthma. Of all the children they've examined, they noticed that half of these children showed signs potentially developing asthma throughout their adolescence years. Of ten neighborhoods surveyed, Pilsen and Little Village showed higher counts of cardiac arrest and asthma attacks.

Self-segregation is a bit of a problem, because it imposes potential problems through socioeconomic inheritance. And yet, people are content with it ...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,730,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
I don't know whether to take this statement seriously or simply post a MFW ... nevertheless segregation affects every single aspect of the individuals life: from quality of life to socioeconomic status. Whether you realize it or not, this segregation also affects their sociometry, which indirectly correlates to their disadvantages and advantages in life.
Before I forget, thanks for your reply. Not quite sure what a MFW is, or how it applies here. However, I do realize the downside to segregation. If I choose left, then I'm not taking advantage of what's on the right. I get that. And, we're O.K. there. But, to be fair, I think we're comparing apples to oranges here. My focus is on what's wrong and right about segregation i.e. it's wrong when we're forced into it, but right when it's caused by freedom of choice, for all mankind. You, on the other hand, are talking about the affects of segregation i.e. the advantages and disadvantages that it causes. Two different things, would you agree?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay sparty View Post
It's a hard feeling you get in my situation, because I never know what the best course of action is. Should I ignore him, as he's the ignorant one? Or should I go out of my way to smile and seem as safe as possible to ease his silly anxiety?
These are the kinds of "specific" responses that I was looking for. You nailed it. Right down to the way it made you feel. Situations like that would almost make you wonder... am I the problem, or is he. Either way, as a black man, you feel it's your problem. It's not fair. You did nothing wrong. Yet, your forced to feel that you should do something differently. I feel your pain, bro. It's not right, but it's gotta change. You seem like a cool person, so I wouldn't let it get to you. As always, there are two parts to solving a problem. First, there's the hard part, which is knowing that a problem exists. The second part is easy, all you have to do is fix it. Try to identify an "uncomfortable" situation ASAP. Don't stare, but smile and make eye contact. The key here is to let them know your not a threat. But, unless they nod or speak, I sure as hell wouldn't. Depending on who your dealing with, this should help to break the tension/uneasiness. Thanks for sharing, and good luck.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
Self-segregation is a bit of a problem, because it imposes potential problems through socioeconomic inheritance.
You've told us what doesn't work, now we need to know what does work. So, in layman's terms, what do you suggest to advance unity?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
I don't like sticky situations. I try to smile and say hello, or a compliment, and sometimes a questions helps. Something " do you like X brew, too? I think it's pretty good. "I'm your neighbor. I just came for beer,too."

Quote:
This response compelled me to talk about my experience as well. I too am an African American man who lives in West Lakeview (Or North Center?) and have had similar experiences. There was onetime that a man who was walking in the same direction as I towards a liquor store (that I too happened to be going to as well) gave every indication that I was following him. He looked back at me several times, and even broke into a fast-pace walk. I should that my add that my apartment is four buildings away from the store, and he had to of seen me walk down the stoop of my home. When we both entered the liquor store, I waved to the owner who shouted "hello", because that's my weekend supplier of craft brews. We both went to the refrigerated section and when I reached out my hand to grab a case of beer, I swear to all that read this that the guy braced himself as if I was going to punch him. I mean his face winced, he turned his shoulder towards me to take brunt of the blow, and made some sort of noise like "aah" as if he was about to say something. It's a hard feeling you get in my situation, because I never know what the best course of action is. Should I ignore him, as he's the ignorant one? Or should I go out of my way to smile and seem as safe as possible to ease his silly anxiety? This is just one example of the subtle things I saw/felt since moving here.

Still, I appreciate the area for what it is, and accept it for what it isn't. Comparable to gentrifiers,blacks who live in Lakeview and Lincoln Park are "urban pioneers", and the increase in quality of life that areas like the Southport corridor brings also has costs attached to them.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 AM

30 posts, read 45,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't like sticky situations. I try to smile and say hello, or a compliment, and sometimes a questions helps. Something " do you like X brew, too? I think it's pretty good. "I'm your neighbor. I just came for beer,too."
That is a good suggestion, but I feel like he should have been the one to break the tension. I guess I could have found a way to come off more non-threatening like smiling, but striking up a conversation with a random stranger so that he will be less fearful for his life (or his wallet/smartphone) seems a bit much, don't you think? What does that say for the experience I am going to have in Northcenter ( I'm going to with that because it's around Ashland/Addison?) if I have to make others comfortable around me just because I am a different race than my neighbors? That puts all of the burden unfairly on me, when I was just trying to go about my day like he was.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
West Lakeview Liquors, located in Roscoe Village/St. Bens despite its name.

Also sorry for the off topic-ness. (sort of)
Much more expensive than the Wellington/Ashland Foremost, which is indeed considerably cheaper than its peers.

/off topic over.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
That is a good suggestion, but I feel like he should have been the one to break the tension. I guess I could have found a way to come off more non-threatening like smiling, but striking up a conversation with a random stranger so that he will be less fearful for his life (or his wallet/smartphone) seems a bit much, don't you think? What does that say for the experience I am going to have in Northcenter ( I'm going to with that because it's around Ashland/Addison?) if I have to make others comfortable around me just because I am a different race than my neighbors? That puts all of the burden unfairly on me, when I was just trying to go about my day like he was.
I totally agree - but let me ask how you would analyze the following situation, which seems to be only something that I see with the younger black male set.

And that would be the sitting in an aisle seat on the bus or train and having your legs completely swung out and blocking the aisle.

I don't think it's because I'm white I find that self-centered and obnoxious. And I've also had several occasions where a request to make room was received with looks of scorn and derision.

If I wasn't raised in Chicago in a fairly integrated environment (at least by Chicago standards), I might jump to the conclusion this was a "black thing," as opposed to a few knuckleheads.

My point being, don't paint with too broad a brush. One guy acting like a weenie doesn't mean the whole area is racist. I'd wager 95% odds the guy you described isn't from Chicago, and maybe has just watched too many episodes of the wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago