Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 AM

53 posts, read 103,935 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Logan Square, and going to school at Purdue Calumet in Hammond,IN. How long do you think this commute will take? What are the best times to commute so I can schedule my classes around that? Also what is better to take? 90 or 94?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
I plan on moving to Logan Square, and going to school at Purdue Calumet in Hammond,IN. How long do you think this commute will take? What are the best times to commute so I can schedule my classes around that? Also what is better to take? 90 or 94?
It would make sense to take 94 down to 80. Get on I-80 heading east and then exit onto Indianapolis Boulevard (or wherever is closest to your destination) heading north. I don't think 90 is really that convenient for getting to Hammond..

Last edited by urza216; 11-20-2011 at 04:09 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
From Logan Square to Purdue Calumet should be about 30 or 40 minutes when there's no traffic (late at night or on weekends or holidays), and a lot more than that on weekdays, especially around rush hour. You asked what time you should leave to have the easiest commute, and clearly the ideal thing would be to avoid the rush periods as much as possible. So, that would mean definitely avoid having to leave home between about 7:00 and 9:30 in the morning on weekdays, and the farther away from the rush hours you can get, the easier time you'll have. Also, I disagree with urza216 that I-90 (the Skyway) is not convenient for getting to Hammond. In my experience, even though the Purdue Calumet campus is right next to I-94/80, you can still actually get there a few minutes faster from Chicago by taking the Skyway. But the Skyway also has exorbitant tolls, so you'll have to decide whether your time is worth those extra dollars or not.

Also, are you really set on living in Logan Square? Do you not have the option of living somewhere closer to Hammond than that? I would think that if you'll be going to school, you'll have plenty of stress and already be on a tight budget without having to deal with the hassle and expense of driving 75 miles every time you go to or from school. But I guess that's up to you. Good luck!

Last edited by tompope; 11-20-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
That commute will blow.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
This might make for a really clunky commute (and might not save you much $ except for the wear & tear on your car) but I saw on Google Maps that the East Chicago South Shore Line train is only 2.1 miles north of the campus. They MIGHT have taxis available there (I am NOT sure about this though). You could theoretically take the Blue Line from Logan Square into downtown and try to get the South Shore Line rail from Millenium station downtown. Gets messier yet because getting from the Blue Line in the Loop to that station might be a PITA. The Washington Blue line stop and the Clark / Lake Blue line stops are probably the closest to Millenium Station in the Loop.

Except on very snowy days, I'm guessing that driving is still going to be the fastest & easiest way to get to Hammond. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post

Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM

178 posts, read 371,157 times
I would move to Pilsen or Brdigeport if I were you. Getting south of the Circle will dramatically decrease your commute. They are also two slowly genetrifying areas that attract some young people. Logan Square is a great place to live.....but not worth it if you are communting to Hammond. You will want to kill yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago