Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

I recently sold some property I owned in Washington, DC and since I am now a full time Chicago resident, I have decided to purchase something in Chicago. I eventully plan on moving back to NYC (where I am originally from) in the next 2-3yrs, but would love to rent out whatever I buy.

I haven't yet hired a realtor, but have browsed the MLS listings to see what the inventory looks like, but had a few questions I hope can be answered.

I am looking for new(er) construction in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, the only Non-negotiables that I have are:
1. Must be 2bd/2bth,
2. I don't want a highrise or midrise, I am thinking of a three story walk-up at most.
3. Must have a rooftop terrace (would like a private roof deck but would settle for shared).
4. Must be turnkey, I am not interested in a fixer.

Now, I have found several places in the MLS that fit my criteria, but was wondering:
1. How far off are realestate prices from their peak of 2006-07ish?
2. There seems to be a lot of inventory on the market, so am wondering if anyone knows what the difference typically is between Asking price and Purchase Price.
3. What is the rental market like for these types of units? I don't see many on Craigslist so am not sure what market rent would look like or what the demand would be.

The Chicago area is still fairly new to me, and I am in the infancy stages of this purchase, so I just want to make sure I am armed with as much information as possible before making a decision.

Also, any tips/recomendations from people in a similar spot would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
if your're moving in 2 or 3 yrs, don't bother.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
The thing is, I wasn't asking if I SHOULD purchase.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
The OP did say they intend to rent it out when they move back to NYC.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I recently sold some property I owned in Washington, DC and since I am now a full time Chicago resident, I have decided to purchase something in Chicago. I eventully plan on moving back to NYC (where I am originally from) in the next 2-3yrs, but would love to rent out whatever I buy.

I haven't yet hired a realtor, but have browsed the MLS listings to see what the inventory looks like, but had a few questions I hope can be answered.

I am looking for new(er) construction in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, the only Non-negotiables that I have are:
1. Must be 2bd/2bth,
2. I don't want a highrise or midrise, I am thinking of a three story walk-up at most.
3. Must have a rooftop terrace (would like a private roof deck but would settle for shared).

Now, I have found several places in the MLS that fit my criteria, but was wondering:
2. There seems to be a lot of inventory on the market, so am wondering if anyone knows what the difference typically is between Asking price and Purchase Price.
3. What is the rental market like for these types of units? I don't see many on Craigslist so am not sure what market rent would look like or what the demand would be.

The Chicago area is still fairly new to me, and I am in the infancy stages of this purchase, so I just want to make sure I am armed with as much information as possible before making a decision.

Also, any tips/recomendations from people in a similar spot would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Many properties, especially condos, are underwater. Check to make sure it is or is not a short-sale.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:

Thanks.
1. I'm not sure about LP/ Lakeview, but most areas Ive been looking at are averaging around 1999 levels.
2. This is really going to be block to block. Ive looked at a couple places that the realator said they will not move on the asking place, then other places that have a 'motivated seller' who will drop 10-15%
3. Rental market is probably strong as it has ever been since not a lot of people want to buy. I have seen rents rise a decent bit in the past couple years, but of course it depends on each NH

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

1. Must be 2bd/2bth,

Thanks.
1. Prices are dipping towards '99 levels outside the super high end which is holding nicely
2. Depends on way too many things to answer without more details
3. A rental 2/2 in those areas with all the bells and whistles (turnkey) and nice deck would be 2,500-2,800. EDIT: worth noting that thousands of units of luxury rentals are being built and in the planning stages, you'll likely be competing with these for renters. I'd look for rents to fall in 3-4 years, especially in the upper bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The OP did say they intend to rent it out when they move back to NYC.
managing a property from NYC sounds like a ton of fun.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am OK with a short sale if I can get the right price, even if it requires waiting for bank approval. It seems as if the chicago housing market is worse off than DC or NYC, and I see it as a great time to buy.

I am ok with managing a rental from NYC, I have owned a place in DC for the last few years without ever being a resident.

I do see rental prices falling in the next few years as the housing market (hopefully) rebounds, though I must admit, the $2,500-2,800 rental number is quite a bit lower than what I was thinking.

Obviously there is a lot more research that needs to take place on my end, but this is a start.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Another note re: anticipated rental income, if you can get a place with parking, it will fetch a huge premium, especially in eastern portions of those hoods.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Another note re: anticipated rental income, if you can get a place with parking, it will fetch a huge premium, especially in eastern portions of those hoods.
Most places I have looked at come with 1 or 2 spots included in price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago