Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Sounds to me like he's going to hate it. Chicago is super socially conservative compared to SF or Europe and the places that aren't are overrun with hipsters. Andersonville might work, progressive, gay friendly and not too hipster.

EDIT: also funny when people on shoestring housing budgets inclued chic/sylish lounges and bars as their interests.
Apparently one poster here already gave himself as an example of this.

One can still pull out chic/stylish lounges on a budget if they do it carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
You'll be just fine. You should come for a visit, but River North, Old Town and Lincoln Park will be right up your ally -- urban, dense, walkable, progressive.

In regards to rent, at $850 you won't be living the high life alone, though you can definitely get a studio in Lincoln Park for that amount, but if you were in a similar situation with 2 roommates, $2,550 would get you a nice 3BR rental in most any neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Except for the fac that that "real city" feel where one can live without a car in a very densely populated neighborhood is much more widespread across the metropolitan area of New York (basically everywhere except Staten Island) and extending well into New Jersey.

Whereas Chicago its basically area code 312, and a narros strip along the north lakefront extending about a half mile or so. Chicago definitely offers this, but unlike New York City, it is less representative and reflective of the lifestyle of the metro area, or even significant parts of the city.

San Francisco is also dense and transit oriented, but being a smaller city, one can characterize that city as being like that throughout all of San Francisco.
Agreed on some stuff. The closer to the core the more it will have that urban, cosmopolitan feel too it. However, I disagree about 312 being the only areas along with the lakshore that feels like a city. I live in Avondale and have for 25 years without a car and I get around just fine, it's very diverse with a pretty good urban feeling.

Yes places like Portage Park, Hyde Park, and similar further out neighborhoods, it loses that city feel to it. However, the majority of the northside is pretty built up and pretty urban.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Sounds to me like he's going to hate it. Chicago is super socially conservative compared to SF or Europe and the places that aren't are overrun with hipsters. Andersonville might work, progressive, gay friendly and not too hipster.

EDIT: also funny when people on shoestring housing budgets inclued chic/sylish lounges and bars as their interests.
Give me a break. SF and Europe might be much more liberal than Chicago, but Chicago by no means is conservative or do most people have that impression. I am not saying it is liberal but it's not conservative at all.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Give me a break. SF and Europe might be much more liberal than Chicago, but Chicago by no means is conservative or do most people have that impression. I am not saying it is liberal but it's not conservative at all.
This. Seriously.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
$850 budget alone is tough, but with roomates it is doable.
I was saying that $850 is what a pay for a ROOM, not the apartment. I'm willing to live with roommates - my apartment is $2000 with a roommate currently in SF...and it's really ugly and old. I suspect I could get better for $850 in Chicago with roommates - not expecting my own place.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Agreed on some stuff. The closer to the core the more it will have that urban, cosmopolitan feel too it. However, I disagree about 312 being the only areas along with the lakshore that feels like a city. I live in Avondale and have for 25 years without a car and I get around just fine, it's very diverse with a pretty good urban feeling.

Yes places like Portage Park, Hyde Park, and similar further out neighborhoods, it loses that city feel to it. However, the majority of the northside is pretty built up and pretty urban.
I was suggesting that 312 and along the lakeshore is the area that would feel like NYC or San Fran. The rest of the city is urban, but in a way that Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, etc. is urban. (I use those examples as those cities have/had major Polish enclaves, whereas say STL never did.

I agree that Avondale is urban and diverse, but it is urban in a way that Queens, NY is urban. Or maybe a more bustling version of the more diverse neighborhoods in other midwestern cities. Kind of like Hamtramck, MI with public transit.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I was saying that $850 is what a pay for a ROOM, not the apartment. I'm willing to live with roommates - my apartment is $2000 with a roommate currently in SF...and it's really ugly and old. I suspect I could get better for $850 in Chicago with roommates - not expecting my own place.
That will be plenty with a roommate in most of the nice urban areas of Chicago.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
There is a unique style of Chicago/midwest liberalism. that is different from liberalism in California or New York.

People are very open minded, progressive and tolerant, yet there is a much stronger sense of what is considered "normal" in Chicago and other liberal enclaves in the midwest (Minneapolis, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc, other hipster artsy hoods in STL, Cincy, Cleve, Det., etc.) than what is found on the coasts.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM

^It's important to not take that as his way of saying that by being gay you won't be considered normal. I don't think that's what he meant, but I do know it's not true. You will not feel out of place as a gay man or woman here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago