Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM

174 posts, read 524,435 times

Advertisements

I live in the Chicago suburbs and experience driving in Chicagoland every day. I will say that people generally go 5-10 over on side streets and local highways and traffic moves at 15-20 over on the expressways. I always have generally thought of this as normal and I have seen this kind of driving in other areas of the country (Pheonix, Dallas, LA). However, an acquaintance of mine from NY State said that when he drove to Illinois it seemed like traffic picked up immediately when crossing into the Land of Lincoln. Also, a relative of mine from WI commented on how fast I drive.

Now I know that we drive faster than most areas if the country, but do we really drive so much faster than other metros that people who have driven in NYC and Milwaukee are astonished that anyone might drive like us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Well, I have personally studied the driving habits of each and every driver among the 9 million residents of Chicagoland, and I have studied the habits of the drivers among the remaining 281 million Americans. My careful analysis shows we're better.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,999 times
Answer: I am originally from Michigan. I grew up in rural upper Michigan, where people drive under the speed limit. Upon moving to metro Detroit, the speed limits there are generally 70mph. Michigan drivers generally drive 80 in that area and think nothing of it. Since moving to Chicago, I have noticed drivers go at least that fast, even with the 55mph speed limits. I am always terrified because I still have Michigan plates, but want to go with the flow of traffic...so I too drive 75-80 in the 55 speed zones, and when it drops to 45 downtown...no difference if it isn't rush hour. Chicagoo drivers drive like maniacs, and I am adjusting and becoming one myself. When I see Illinois drivers in other states...Michigan or Wisconsin...I can generally tell if they are from Chicago or not by if they are speeding a lot. LOL

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Chicagoans drive faster than St. Louisans, as a rule (and with traffic the way it often is, I don't blame folks), so it was funny to me when I moved to KC and everyone complains about how crazy St. Louisans drive.

For my part, Kansas Citians are a menace behind the wheel beause they drive so slow -- I've regularly hit the highway after an on-ramp (also called an acceleration lane, guys!) going half or less the speed of the other cars because the ass hat in front of me has never heard of a gas pedal.

So yes, from my experience, driving habits vary greatly from place to place, and generally speaking it sppears the larger the city the faster folks drive (you know, when they're not stuck in crushing traffic).

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbalko View Post
Answer: I am originally from Michigan. I grew up in rural upper Michigan, where people drive under the speed limit. Upon moving to metro Detroit, the speed limits there are generally 70mph. Michigan drivers generally drive 80 in that area and think nothing of it. Since moving to Chicago, I have noticed drivers go at least that fast, even with the 55mph speed limits. I am always terrified because I still have Michigan plates, but want to go with the flow of traffic...so I too drive 75-80 in the 55 speed zones, and when it drops to 45 downtown...no difference if it isn't rush hour. Chicagoo drivers drive like maniacs, and I am adjusting and becoming one myself. When I see Illinois drivers in other states...Michigan or Wisconsin...I can generally tell if they are from Chicago or not by if they are speeding a lot. LOL
Yeah, I don't understand why the highways are posted as 55 mph. It doesn't make sense.

It might also be worthy to point out, that metro Detroit is a little smaller % of Michigans population than Chicagolands % of Illinois.

Out of around 12-13 million in Illinois, close to 1/4 of them live in Chicago proper, and about 3/4 live in greater Chicagoland area.

In Michigans 10 million people, the CSA of metro Detroit-Ann Arbor is 5 million, only half of the states population, and the city of Detroit is only 7-8% now, and these days even the city of Detroit has a suburban population density.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
My sense is Chicagoans who learned how to drive in the City are aggressive and overly-confident in the City, but it's largely a density issue.

We have an unspoken "s*** or get off the pot" culture, which is unsurprising as you often need to be forceful just to make a legal turn on to a busy street from a side one (or out of a parking lot, etc.). Terrible habits as far as respecting pedestrians and cyclists, though both of those groups aren't particularly law-abiding either.

What I've noticed from 2 decades of visiting the in-laws in the burbs is that suburban drivers have a distinct
bad habit of improper following space. I can see how in a less-dense area & on open highways you can get away with tailgating, but in the City it's a deathwish. You've got kids popping out from between parked cars (heavily emphasized in driver's ed) and lots of stop-and-go traffic, even on the highways.

I am always stunned to look in my rear view and see a guy less than a car-length behind me when I'm going 65 on I-55.

Worse, and I'm not sure if this is density-related or not, are the bozos who go out of their way to drive in your blind spot, or who go out of their way to put you in their blind spot.

Unless you're in rush hour traffic & you have no choice due to bumper-to-bumper traffic, there is never a good reason to have a car directly on your side - it's blocking your first escape route should the guy in front of you come screeching to a halt for any reason, a deer, a pothole, etc.

Last edited by Chi-town Native; 11-30-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
For the most part, drivers in Chicago are great...they keep things moving. However, two issues, in the city, especially north side areas like Lakeview, it can be downright scary crossing the streets. Many drivers are not paying attention and are more interested in saving 30 seconds at the risk of others' life and physical well being; especially people making a left at a red light.

Chicago drivers seem to never acknowledge if you let cut in front of you; never a wave-thanks. Also, when a driver here does not have headlights on and you flash yours to get their attention to turn their lights on, never works.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
From my numerous visits, I believe that Chicago drivers are more respectful of the rules of the road, and pedestrians, than Bostonians..

However, you might refer to this statement as "damning with faint praise"..

Old 12-02-2011, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 12,898 times
I'm originally from Toronto, have also lived in Boston and now live in Chicago. Chicago is by far the most laid back of the 3. I'm talking about the city - the burbs are a little more aggressive. (Other cities I've driven in include NYC, Montreal, SF, LA, Austin, Washington DC and many others.)

You can't drive fast in the city. One lane streets, lots of stop lights and stop signs and often there's lots of traffic if not gridlock. The highways in and around downtown are often clogged too. So I don't really get the perception that the driving is fast here. I can understand that people coming from smaller cities might be intimidated but I find Chicago driving to be in-line with (and perhaps more mellow than) other big cities.

Last edited by eeglug; 12-02-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,286 times
one thing i like about chicago drivers is that they'll let you out if you just go. they/we don't like hesitant drivers and will get more worked up over someone taking a long time to merge than if they just pulled in front of them.

the burbs are a different matter. they seem to be only concerned with themselves and don't have a sense of give and take that exists in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago