Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM

26 posts, read 55,070 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised on the great south side, but many years ago moved to the Pacific Northwest. However, I still have an interest in Chicagoland news and try to keep current. My wife, who is native to the Pacific Northwest, can't understand why I care. Frankly, I dunno. I just do. Every once in a while, I check on-line for news from the newspapers and television stations. I also watch WGN news on cable sometimes and a former high school classmate of mine has a website for our old high school class and he keeps us posted on obits, etc. He started this about seven years ago. Plus, of course, I watch as many White Sox games as I can.

Do you guys think this interest of mine is strange, or do you think there are others who do the same thing?

BTW - one reason I enjoy WGN news is that I used to work with their chief meteorologist, Tom Skilling, at a radio station in Aurora back in 1969 and 70. He was still in high school then and worked part time mostly on weekends at the station. Even back then, he was interested in meteorology and had a great broadcast voice.

Oh yeah, he also had hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
I do too...Chicago Trib online and Cubs' games on WGN.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymanorborn View Post
I was born and raised on the great south side, but many years ago moved to the Pacific Northwest. However, I still have an interest in Chicagoland news and try to keep current. My wife, who is native to the Pacific Northwest, can't understand why I care. Frankly, I dunno. I just do. Every once in a while, I check on-line for news from the newspapers and television stations. I also watch WGN news on cable sometimes and a former high school classmate of mine has a website for our old high school class and he keeps us posted on obits, etc. He started this about seven years ago. Plus, of course, I watch as many White Sox games as I can.

Do you guys think this interest of mine is strange, or do you think there are others who do the same thing?

BTW - one reason I enjoy WGN news is that I used to work with their chief meteorologist, Tom Skilling, at a radio station in Aurora back in 1969 and 70. He was still in high school then and worked part time mostly on weekends at the station. Even back then, he was interested in meteorology and had a great broadcast voice.

Oh yeah, he also had hair.
When I was living in Northern Michigan and when I was in Munich for a month, I kept track of local events. I think it is a way to stay connected with home.

Too bad you cannot find a good Italian beef sandwich in these locations, although in Germany I was able to get a replacement in the from of the doner kebab...

Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Tom Skilling is a local celebrity
Who cant like the guy

he always sounds so down to earth and nice on the radio and tv broadcast

Have to watch out for these kind of fellows who knows what the hell goes on behind closed doors!
Kidding of course I really do think he is a great weather person and love it when he sits in with Gary M

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-28-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM

78 posts, read 86,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Too bad you cannot find a good Italian beef sandwich in these locations, although in Germany I was able to get a replacement in the from of the doner kebab...
Doner kabab is nothing like Italian Beef.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 PM

78 posts, read 86,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymanorborn View Post
I was born and raised on the great south side, but many years ago moved to the Pacific Northwest.
I find that to be ironic, since you spelled Chicagoans wrong.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 PM

439 posts, read 954,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666northstate View Post
Doner kabab is nothing like Italian Beef.
More like a gyro.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
I don't keep track because I know that it is not like it was. I remain a Cubs fan, but rarely do I show this. I remain a Bears fan, but rarely show this either unless they're playing the Packers. I still look for the music of the early 80s from stations WGCI and WBMX (Chicago House music). Other than this, I don't follow the news there anymore.

bert weinman ford 1980 - YouTube

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Great ad, love it

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I could not live in St. Louis for another 50 years and I'd always keep up with what's going on. I only lived in Chicago for two years but it's a great town, so I still hang out here. I don't think it's weird at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago