Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Hi everyone, pfft, a lifetime here and I had never heard of this "pedestrian street" designation before last week.

Anybody have any experience/insights to offer? I agree with the commenter at the story below who says Lincoln Ave. in Lincoln Square would be a better model for Milwaukee than what seems to be planned...

Save Milwaukee Avenue’s pedestrian orientation « Peopling Places
"Pedestrian Street" designation in Chicago is NOT the same as a "pedestrian mall" that exists in some cities.

It is NOT a street that is shut down to vehicle traffic for the exclusive use of pedestrians.

"Pedestrian Street" is a specific, legal term codified in Chicago's zoning ordinances.

All it basically means is that the section of street so designated isn't supposed to have breaks in the curb for driveways, that buildings need to have retail windows facing the sidewalk, no minimum parking requirement and things like that. In my opinion, that sort of criteria should apply to nearly all of Chicago's commercial streets that are within 1/2 mile of an "L" station, but it does not. Hence the need for a specific designation to apply to areas where the city wants to make an extra effort to actually have a good pedestrian experience in a commercial area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Save your outrage for another thread. There's no reason that needs to be discussed in a thread discussing a zoning item.
that would be hard, jdiddy. the comment i responded to came here, so i felt it was appropriate. i didn't realize i had to check with you first before i posted. so please feel free to ignore what i write that you don't like; and i will (happily) do the same for you.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
"Pedestrian Street" designation in Chicago is NOT the same as a "pedestrian mall" that exists in some cities.

It is NOT a street that is shut down to vehicle traffic for the exclusive use of pedestrians.

"Pedestrian Street" is a specific, legal term codified in Chicago's zoning ordinances.

All it basically means is that the section of street so designated isn't supposed to have breaks in the curb for driveways, that buildings need to have retail windows facing the sidewalk, no minimum parking requirement and things like that. In my opinion, that sort of criteria should apply to nearly all of Chicago's commercial streets that are within 1/2 mile of an "L" station, but it does not. Hence the need for a specific designation to apply to areas where the city wants to make an extra effort to actually have a good pedestrian experience in a commercial area.
yup. the only question here is whether a business (McDonald's) that had an non-conforming curb cut (which likely pre-dated the designation) really couldn't build a new building due to permitting regulations without that PD designation being lifted.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
yup. the only question here is whether a business (McDonald's) that had an non-conforming curb cut (which likely pre-dated the designation) really couldn't build a new building due to permitting regulations without that PD designation being lifted.
It was probably the parking thing that got them more than the curb cut.

And I think it's pretty terrible that the alderman would cave for a *McDonalds*.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It was probably the parking thing that got them more than the curb cut.

And I think it's pretty terrible that the alderman would cave for a *McDonalds*.
No, it's the curb cut, it's not allowed under the PD classification.

I truly despise McDonald's, but in this case Colon is simply granting them the ability to maintain what they had when they opened originally, which seems fair. The alternative is they don't renovate their fugmo store, and we're still stuck with the curb cut (and parking lot).

Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No, it's the curb cut, it's not allowed under the PD classification.

I truly despise McDonald's, but in this case Colon is simply granting them the ability to maintain what they had when they opened originally, which seems fair. The alternative is they don't renovate their fugmo store, and we're still stuck with the curb cut (and parking lot).
You're assuming that the owner wouldn't evaluate his options if he were actually pressed to do so. We'll never really know, but he could have developed the parcel to meet the requirements and created a pedestrian-friendly McDonalds PLUS additional commercial and/or residential space. That would have yielded more tax revenue, more density, and a better environment on the street. But since the alderman didn't force the issue, we'll never know. I personally don't think a new drive-thru fast food place is a good result, because it just means the use as that sort of a place will last that much longer. Is that totally fair to the owner? Maybe not, but there are plenty of things in life that aren't fair and sometimes to make improvements you have to push people to think of better solutions instead of just letting them do the first thing that pops in their head.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that the owner wouldn't evaluate his options if he were actually pressed to do so. We'll never really know, but he could have developed the parcel to meet the requirements and created a pedestrian-friendly McDonalds PLUS additional commercial and/or residential space. That would have yielded more tax revenue, more density, and a better environment on the street. But since the alderman didn't force the issue, we'll never know. I personally don't think a new drive-thru fast food place is a good result, because it just means the use as that sort of a place will last that much longer. Is that totally fair to the owner? Maybe not, but there are plenty of things in life that aren't fair and sometimes to make improvements you have to push people to think of better solutions instead of just letting them do the first thing that pops in their head.
I agree with you in spirit in terms of keeping things pedestrian-friendly, but the alderman can't make McDonald's get rid of their existing curb cut, so it's really putting the burden on the wrong party. This isn't really a "new drive-thru fast food place," it's the same one, in an upgraded building (which will at least be more energy efficient).

I know enough about McDonald's to know that of the handful of store closings they've ever had, the first 3 were in Chicago.

Of those 3, 2 did not have drive through service, and even though they were in massively dense areas (Broadway/Belmont & Lincoln/Belmont/Ashland) they failed. The third was in close proximity to Cabrini Green and got robbed repeatedly.

So why would a McDonald's owner do something that is not in his/her best interest? In this case it's very simple, they can not make a capital investment and keep the status quo, or, they can get this PD designation temporarily lifted to allow for new construction.

Also - Colon, as he notes, did notify people about all this months ago, but nobody either cared enough to look into it or had a problem with it.

The fundamental problem rests with Chicago consumers. Though I disagree strongly with rewarding someone's desire to not even have to get their fat kiester out of their car to get a McFatMeUp burger, it is only when consumers demand a change that McDonald's will do so.

Look at McDonald's in Europe and other countries - they use Fair Trade products in the UK. They won't use GMO-tainted ingredients in the EU. They offer a McFalafel in the mideast and other Arab countries. hell, in the northeast USA they've sell Fair Trade certified coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago