Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM

73 posts, read 324,857 times

Advertisements

A freind of mine is buying a place west of midway. Nice home, nice area. thats not the problem. Im just curious how loud can planes be leaving or coming in right above your heads? I was with this same freind years ago in his old yard more by harlem and 58th when planes were coming in from super weird directions during what was probably a super foggy day and this one plane must have been re routed and holy **** it was low, loud and scary. I never thought of seeing planes that low especially no where near runways. His dad was also in the yard and mentioned a plane that crashed in marquette park some 30 years before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM

152 posts, read 492,956 times
I grew up around Archer/Central, very near the northwest corner of Midway. When you're indoors and all the windows and doors are closed, you can barely hear them - if at all. But, come summer, and you're in the yard or indoors with the windows open, you're definitely going to hear them. You might even have to stop a conversation for ten seconds or so until the plane is past. Funny though, as with many urban noises, you really do get used to it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,459,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan87 View Post
A freind of mine is buying a place west of midway. Nice home, nice area. thats not the problem. Im just curious how loud can planes be leaving or coming in right above your heads? I was with this same freind years ago in his old yard more by harlem and 58th when planes were coming in from super weird directions during what was probably a super foggy day and this one plane must have been re routed and holy **** it was low, loud and scary. I never thought of seeing planes that low especially no where near runways. His dad was also in the yard and mentioned a plane that crashed in marquette park some 30 years before that.
For a few years, my family had a home at 67th & Kostner. SE of the airport, and directly under the landing path of many planes. Though few planes land overnight, the distractions of noise were annoying during other times of day. I wouldn't willingly make such a home purchase, but thousands of people have and continue to.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,763,232 times
If you're already accustomed to urban noise, it's surprisingly easy to get used to it. A while ago the city gave grants to lots of people in that area to retrofit their homes with A/C so they could keep their windows closed to reduce the noise.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM

801 posts, read 2,556,212 times
We were on 53rd and Sawyer and we had a flight path over our house for a summer or two. They weren't as loud as it would be closer to the airport, but you would still have to stop the conversation sometimes.

They are really loud.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,283 times
It really depends where you buy. Look at google satellite view of the area which will give you a good idea of how the planes take off/land. The runways are on a 45 degree angle compared to the Chicago grid. Follow the runway paths out of the airport and into the neighborhood to see which areas will have planes flying over them.

For example - follow the runway that ends near 55th and Central. The plane will fly towards 51st and Austin. All of the houses under that flight path will experience more noise than just a few blocks away.

I live close to your friend on 58th and Harlem and rarely hear planes. As you mentioned, the day you were visiting planes may have been rerouted. On occasion you have a day where you notice planes flying different patterns. In general that area is very quiet in terms of plane noise.

You said your friend is buying west of Midway. As long as he is not under the path of 55th and Central or 63rd and Central his home should be relatively quiet.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM

968 posts, read 2,651,461 times
Well , I attended an event at a banquet hall around 60th/61st and Archer, and I can tell you that's an EXCELLENT spot if you're in to plane-watching .. Takeoffs were right overhead , with the undercarriage details visible and the turbine-whine audible .. So, if you're near there, you will hear aircraft ..
Good news is that Midway is mostly passenger traffic , so there shouldn't be too much middle of the night takeoffs and landings .. There really isn't much Noise abatement can do if you're that close in ..
Surprised in didn't come up in this thread, but I thought there was a city 'runway buffer' program where they/the Feds were planning to purchase properties near the runway ends ... Urban Legend ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago