Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,184 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently a junior at The University of Alabama and I've always dreamed of moving to Chicago when I graduate. I'm currently a film major with a double major in Marketing. Does Chicago offer good job opportunities in the film industry?

Also, what neighborhoods in Chicago are good for a recent college graduate?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Wicker Park are all very big with recent college grads. LV and LP are close to the lake/trails which is a big plus.

Yes. We have some film industry in the city. Certainly not to the extent of NYC or LA. I understand breaking into a position in that field here can be very challenging (as are most jobs for new grads at the moment

Good luck to you.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tip! I never realized just how expensive an apartment in Chicago is until I researched it. Yikes!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Film...not so much... Marketing? The Best along with NYC. .. Chicago is cheap compared to the coastal cities.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Yeah I realize that. It's hard because I think I'm the only person in my circle of friends who is considering Chicago and everything would be much easier if I could find a roommate haha

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Chicago isn't expensive at all, especially for a city of its size. Lincoln Park gets expensive, sure, but Chicago is not an expensive town. Contrary to what City Data forum posters would lead you to believe, Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Wicker Park are not the only neighborhoods in the city. If you can bear to venture out of the same, tired Northie Chic neighborhoods (which have an intolerably high douche quotient, btw) you'll find you can get a sweet ass apt here for not very much.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 AM

40 posts, read 148,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Chicago isn't expensive at all, especially for a city of its size. Lincoln Park gets expensive, sure, but Chicago is not an expensive town. Contrary to what City Data forum posters would lead you to believe, Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Wicker Park are not the only neighborhoods in the city. If you can bear to venture out of the same, tired Northie Chic neighborhoods (which have an intolerably high douche quotient, btw) you'll find you can get a sweet ass apt here for not very much.
I think Chicago is moderately expensive. We can start with taxes, then move on to insurance and plates. However, the Southside food can be around $8 for dinner while the loop may cost you around $10 at the local restaurants. I know Alabama is a more relaxed tax wise right? It will be a big jump in lifestyle.

You cannot honestly believe that you can just walk in Chicago and get a random job in the film industry. Rent money will go away fast and a degree doesnt mean much in a specialized field unless you got contacts.

As for good neighborhoods, I think this subject is one in every 5 threads so just look in the forum.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeverex25 View Post
You cannot honestly believe that you can just walk in Chicago and get a random job in the film industry.
Did anything in my post state or even vaguely imply this? You can't even walk into a job waiting tables these days, let alone a job in a very competitive industry in a town where said industry is just about non-existent. But thanks for stating the obvious. I'm sure it was helpful to someone.

As far as the cost of living here goes, meh. I'm sure it's more expensive here than Tuscaloosa, but a) that doesn't say much, and b) I'd like to think the OP is anticipating a cost of living increase. The cost of living in Chicago is still significantly lower than that of other large cities.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,428 times
Roll tide! I'm a Texas Tech Red Raider but my moms family are all Bama alum. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Chicago in November of 2012, and pricing is about the same as it is in downtown Dallas where we currently live. Granted I'm not familiar with the pricing of Alabama living but it is do-able from what I have researched so far.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM

209 posts, read 590,235 times
One thing to keep in mind if you intend to look for work in Chicago's limited film industry is that there is a major school here cranking out film studies majors every year: Columbia College. As you might imagine, many Columbia graduates want to stay in the area and they are competing for the limited film opportunities here. They also have something you won't have, which is direct contacts with local film makers and production houses from their in-school film projects and internships. I know someone who just finished his MA in film at Columbia College who has gotten free lance editing and marketing work through the contacts he has from his school. But even with that advantage, he can't make a living on his film-related work alone.

Marketing is a much larger industry here. Advertising agencies have a major presence here and there are many large consumer product companies with large marketing departments here (e.g. Kraft, Pepsi, Discover, Walgreens). But that alone doesn't guarantee you finding work since the competition for these jobs is fierce as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago