Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM

140 posts, read 120,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
No you're not. In fact I posted something similar several pages back. It's a double standard

It's not that extreme but Black man marrying or in an relationship with a woman of another race will get more of a response.
It's not a double standard. Men are supposed to be the builders and protectors of their community. If a sizable number of upper income black men are taking their resources and supporting non black women, there are going to be serious implications for black women and children.

Black men can learn a lot by watching how Jewish men operate. They certainly have their mistresses, but the money and resources stay in the Jewish community.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Oh that couldn't be further from the truth! Speaking as a black who have dated outside my race, I've been accused of being a lot of things. I've been accused of abandoning the race, not giving "the brothers a chance", killing the black race b/c I don't want to bear a fully black child, and my oh so favorite, a race traitor. I've been told so many time that my black card has been revoked that I lost count. And these are from the black people.

Between this, the oft repeated stereotypes of black women used as excuses of why we're undatable (loud, ugly nappy hair, ghetto, destined to be morbidly obese once you get pregnant, etc), and the constant media reports of why black women aren't getting married, and I can see how some women can have low self esteem when it comes to dating. Frankly, as a black woman, you have to develop a thick skin and let all this BS pass by you or you will be doomed
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think the black community is far more compulsive to assert that black men date interracially for the wrong reasons than vice versa. Even on a scale of discussing celebrities, just about every black male entertainer has suffered as a result of that be it Wesley Snipes, Taye Diggs, Reggie Bush, Cuba Gooding etc etc. But not the other way around. Meanwhile no one has made a peep about Robin Thicke, Robert Dinero, Thandie Newton, Zoe Saldana, Halle Berry or who ever else. And that's not to discredit your personal experiences, but I think the insinuations are far more organized in critisizing black men. There are books, movies, talk shows, news articles, "studies" so on and so fourth produced, hosted and authored by black women themselves. Again, I haven't witnessed the reverse. Not only that, but it is done in a "scientifically" credible fashion. Think about it. In this thread alone, how many black women regurgitated their aresenal of "statistics" (e.g. unemployment, education and incarceration rates) that they feel explains the lack of available and "worthy" black men? Now how much more of the reverse? Truth be told, black women's academic "success" low employment and incarceration rates are very close to that of black men's anyway. But that information is rarely provided in the assessment.

In regards to black women being "studied" as far as their dating options and marriage problems go...normally it's centered around the idea that the variables that cause the problems are the fault of black men anyway and never black women themselves. Seriously, I'd bet ANY article that you could find about the subject will lament on how "problematic" black men are and are the key element to their current crises.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Interesting commentary on colorism and IR relationships:

Hot Topics-Interracial Relationships - The View - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
It's not a double standard. Men are supposed to be the builders and protectors of their community. If a sizable number of upper income black men are taking their resources and supporting non black women, there are going to be serious implications for black women and children.

Black men can learn a lot by watching how Jewish men operate. They certainly have their mistresses, but the money and resources stay in the Jewish community.
Problem is...Jewish women aren't running the streets loud mouthing, street fighting, and having children out of wedlock by multiple men who are the lowest common denominator of the community. They aren't attracted to thugs, "ballers", drug dealers and boys with their pants around their ankles. I've never heard of academically inclined Jewish males having a problem of finding women in their community who think they are too "corny" for having good grades or for being on their best behavior.

Perhaps when the few black male Rhodes Scholars, Valedictorians, and Ivy league bound students are seen as being the most attractive men in their communities instead of the soulja boys, lil waynes and wacka flackas, then we can get to the heart of the matter.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Truth be told, black women's academic "success" low employment and incarceration rates are very close to that of black men's anyway. But that information is rarely provided in the assessment.
NY Times Excerpt: A Shortage of Eligible Black Men, By Ralph Richard Banks
A Definite Shortage of Marriageable Black Men - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

More than 1 in 10 black men in their 20s or early 30s are currently incarcerated, and some experts estimate that as many as 1 in 4 black men will spend some time behind bars.

Only half of black boys graduate high school.

MOD EDIT

Author's Remarks - Is Marriage for White People? - Richard Banks - 10/05/2011 - USC CLHC - YouTube

Last edited by linicx; 01-04-2012 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: TOS COPYRIGHT VIOLATION

Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Black beauties - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
There is a lot of misconceptions here. A Jewish man who does not marry a Jewish woman does not have a Jewish child - even if they raise the child in a Jewish home and the Jewish Faith. Conversely a Jewish woman who marries out, DOES have a Jewish child - even if the child is not raised in a Jewish home or Jewish Faith; the child is still Jewish. Jewish men are very discreet for a reason as I was told by a Jewish wife.

"He'd better play far from home! If I hear one whisper of a rumor, or if he brings shame on our children, he will instantly not have a family, a home, any bank account, so much as one stock, a car or a business. He will never lay eyes on his children again. He knew that before we were ever married. But if he is really lucky I might let him have his clothes, but there is no guarantee. " She was serious. One weekend when he slipped away she bought a new Cadillac. I don't believe he was ever that foolish again. It happened in Chicago.

. . .

Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Problem is...Jewish women aren't running the streets loud mouthing, street fighting, and having children out of wedlock by multiple men who are the lowest common denominator of the community. They aren't attracted to thugs, "ballers", drug dealers and boys with their pants around their ankles. I've never heard of academically inclined Jewish males having a problem of finding women in their community who think they are too "corny" for having good grades or for being on their best behavior.

Perhaps when the few black male Rhodes Scholars, Valedictorians, and Ivy league bound students are seen as being the most attractive men in their communities instead of the soulja boys, lil waynes and wacka flackas, then we can get to the heart of the matter.
Generally speaking Jewish women can rely on their men, because they serve as providers and protectors. Also, most Jewish men stick around to raise their sons so that they don't grow up to become 'soulja boys, lil waynes and wacka flackas.' Not to mention, Jewish fathers help ensure that their daughters learn how to choose men wisely.

African Americans will never become a viable group, until more black men learn how to develop an economic base, and serve as fathers and husbands. I said it once and I'll say it again, BLACK MEN CAN LEARN A LOT FROM JEWISH MEN.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is a lot of misconceptions here. A Jewish man who does not marry a Jewish woman does not have a Jewish child - even if they raise the child in a Jewish home and the Jewish Faith. Conversely a Jewish woman who marries out, DOES have a Jewish child - even if the child is not raised in a Jewish home or Jewish Faith; the child is still Jewish. Jewish men are very discreet for a reason as I was told by a Jewish wife.

"He'd better play far from home! If I hear one whisper of a rumor, or if he brings shame on our children, he will instantly not have a family, a home, any bank account, so much as one stock, a car or a business. He will never lay eyes on his children again. He knew that before we were ever married. But if he is really lucky I might let him have his clothes, but there is no guarantee. " She was serious. One weekend when he slipped away she bought a new Cadillac. I don't believe he was ever that foolish again. It happened in Chicago.

. . .
I was referring to the 'Jewish community' at large and how they manage their resources.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
African American men shouldn't wait for women to lead. The educated black men have to take charge and rid black communities of the violent thugs and criminals. Also, successful black men should serve as mentors to young black boys who do not have fathers in the home. No excuses.

Last edited by Lisa2013; 01-03-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago