Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

I gotta feeling that somebody that can't make sense of traffic reports on the radio might get more than a little intimidated snaking around on Columbus Dr as it plows under Wacker and over to Ohio, and while I do think that it is certainly a more interesting drive and omitted shave ten percentage off the total trip time I would hate to thinks hat happens if they miss the Ohio St feeder and end up on Milwaukee Ave without a GPS...

The travel time maps on Google and the tri- state corridors web sites will let you know how slow moving traffic along the Ryan/ Kennedy combo tends to be without all the local jargon of radio traffic "personalities"...

http://www.travelmidwest.com/lmiga/m...me=chicagoArea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
..And, you'll get a few more chapters in from the Books on Tape on the return trip back to HP .. that's not a fly-right-down drive either ...
In fact it's even worse than the drive out because the express lanes are working against you. After about 6pm the traffic flow out to the aiport is actually not too bad. At that time it still clogs up around Lawrence but then starts moving again once you hit Harlem. The drive in, on the other hand, often sucks up to 8pm or later.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,995 times
Thanks, Chet. I'll probably go for the more straightforward Stevenson-Ryan-Kennedy route; I do have a GPS, but it loses its signal on Columbus and sometimes takes a good while to find it again.

By travel time maps on Google, do you mean just the time estimate you get with driving directions, or is there more to it?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The "traffic layer" is actually more useful than the "travel estimate" that google provides. I think the time estimate is based on some kind of average for all hours of travel, while the "traffic layer" is based off real time data. When I have seen a pattern for a few days around a lane configuration changes and such I can get a pretty good sense for what sorts of travel speeds are normal and what sorts indicate some kind of anomaly. For a one shot pick-up at the airport that is not really needed, but if you monitor it for a few days (especially during a storm or other traffic choking event ...) you can get a sense for worst case scenario and understand why a 90 minute trip might be part of the contingencies.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
The worse jams come where two highways merge and lose lanes. So I would not take the Stevenson to the Dan Ryan to the Kennedy. The Stevenson-Dan Ryan merge is a killer, particularly since there is the close-by start of the Ike. That means there is the slowing down for changing lanes and for folks who make late lane decisions.

For that reason, in rush hours use city streets (like Columbus) to get around the big merges. Which some radio jocks dubbed 'the spaghetti bowl'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago