Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

The pension system was probably designed to be very generous so the State could pay workers less in base salary, thus appearing to save money in the short term. I bet most of the politicians who set it up are dead, in jail, or collecting fat pensions now. On the other hand, if private sector employees could retire so early, we might not have an unemployment problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
I hate bloated public unions and pensions. It's great and all to give people lots of money to retire and do nothing, but I don't want to pay for it. Maybe we should allow people to voluntarily pay for public worker's pensions and see if they still get 60,000 a year.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
I understand firemen and police receiving pensions. We really aren't safer with people that should be retired in those roles. The rest of em? They should have 401k's like the rest of us.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I understand firemen and police receiving pensions. We really aren't safer with people that should be retired in those roles. The rest of em? They should have 401k's like the rest of us.
Agreed

Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Ponzi scheme.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
Quote:
To add to this, the police and firemen also need to work for a decent amount of time before they qualify for full pensions. We don't need people working for 20 years and qualifying for a full pension.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
That makes no sense at all.

How quickly we forget George Bush's near-catastrophic attempt to privatize social security by converting it into 401Ks. Which would have conveniently made loads of cash for Wall St traders right as Enron was about to tank mutual funds across the country.

How about demanding more from the private sector instead of lowering the bar for the public one?

Otherwise, you should say adios to your sick days, holidays, vacation days, maternity leave, workers comp, and every other worker improvement the private sector enjoys thanks to organized labor and collective bargaining.

You act like these things are a given, but they aren't.

How would you feel if you found out right before (or after) retirement that your employer hadn't been making a 401K match that was part of the agreement for you taking your job in the first place?

It isn't the fault of unions that Republican and Democratic politicians haven't been properly funding pension contributions for decades. The union members have been paying their share, it's we, the taxpayers, that are collectively in default. Point the finger at you, me, and every other Illinois voter who has allowed political corruption to endure for decades.

As for the "benefit to society" of paying what we owe - is that a joke?

Do you want to deal with thousands upon thousands of impoverished senior citizens in Illinois who suddenly wouldn't be able to pay their bills? Retired people do also shop and support the economy, you know. I guess you'd prefer they be kicked out of their homes so the banks can grow their slumlord-to-society role.

I can't believe how short-sighted people are these days... it's like the staunch refusal to look at an actual cost-benefit analysis of providing health care to everyone, even though our hospitals right now are already providing it by default, as by law they can't turn people away from the ER.

So to get back to Illinois - you can fix the pension "problem" by simply getting priorities straight. The State made an agreement. It should live up to that agreement before giving Sears monster tax breaks and all the other gravy we throw at so-called "private sector" companies.

It's completely legitimate to negotiate future pension agreements so we don't find ourselves in a similar pickle down the road, but this idea that we can retroactively welsh on existing ones is nonsense and unethical, if not illegal and likely a death sentence for our bond rating.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Ponzi scheme.
Do you even know what a Ponzi scheme is?

I don't think so.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
To add to this, the police and firemen also need to work for a decent amount of time before they qualify for full pensions. We don't need people working for 20 years and qualifying for a full pension.
What does that actually mean? Your pension is presumably based on time of service. A guy who works 20 years isn't getting the same pension as one who worked 40.

Now, we don't need double-dippers for sure. There are loads of abuses that can be cut.

But don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Do you even know what a Ponzi scheme is?

I don't think so.
Ponzi scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation. The Ponzi scheme usually entices new investors by offering higher returns than other investments, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. Perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to keep the scheme going.
Sounds damn similar to the pension issue if you ask me. More taxes for more retired government workers, new police and fire toys, eventually the whole thing comes crashing down. Which is where we are today.

Quote:
The system is destined to collapse because the earnings, if any, are less than the payments
Substitute earnings with taxes and payments with pension obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago