Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Well, I started off by telling her truthfully where I was from. When that didn't register, I defaulted to something she did know, and gave a time distance between the two.

You must know a lot of massage ladies, huh? I mean, the way you worded this part makes it seem like they don't have the capacity to understand, or care, about geography.

I hope I meet this guy from New York. I'm an inquisitive person. I'll ask him all about what it's like living in New York.

And then when it comes out that he doesn't actually live in the city, but some suburb 30 miles away, and only said he lives in New York because he thought it would be easier for me to understand… then I know the guy is an A-----------.

Why? Because he assumed, within the first moments of meeting and talking to me, that my brain is just too feeble to grasp geography. He needs to "dumb it down" for me to understand where he's from.

Just because a person gives massages for a living doesn't mean they're ignorant.

No, I'm not the only one. City-Data thinks this is important too. If they didn't there wouldn't be a "Chicago Forum" and a "Chicago Suburbs Forum".

Here's a question(s):

If you picked up the phone at your house and called 911 to report your next door neighbors house on fire, would the Chicago Fire Department show up?

If you called the police to report a robbery at your house, would the Chicago Police Department show up?

For the two suburbanites talking to each other; it's easier for them to tell if one of them is lying about where they live. It's easier to lie to people the further removed they are from your life, in this case the Caribbean.

Here's a quote from an earlier post (ofcjim40):

^That right there.

Since you seem to think that government sanctioned and recognized boundaries don't matter, with regards to anything apparently, can I count you in as the first person to sign my petition to consolidate all of Cook county into "Chicago"?
Blah Blah Blah. Again, only you seem to care.

"Context". Do you understand it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Quote:
... don't matter, with regards to anything apparently, can I count you in as the first person to sign my petition to consolidate all of Cook county into "Chicago"?
This might work out AWESOME for some towns -- think of the all the hipster cred that would give Berwyn -- it would have its coveted 606xx zip code and be THE HOT PLACE for budget minded artsty types to like Bohemian in every sense of the word! They'd have ready access to tap rooms with sweaty old Czech man (and woman), big plates of dumplings and sausages, all the outsider art you can drive a skewer through and a nice solid brick bungalow.

The miles and miles of godforesaken former industrial sites in southern / SW Cook Co might be redeveloped with less interfernce from local corrupt politicians looking to cut a deal.

Towns like Wilmette, Evanston, Lagrange and Oak Park would give "young urban families" a ready made alternative to Roscoe Village or Bucktown without fear of losing their "606xx till I die" cred...

Friends in even more upscale towns would probably organize their existing police forces into some kind of "overlay" law enforcement authority like UofC has down in Hyde Park to get more of a sense of local safety...

It would be a very interesting experiment

Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
This might work out AWESOME for some towns -- think of the all the hipster cred that would give Berwyn -- it would have its coveted 606xx zip code and be THE HOT PLACE for budget minded artsty types to like Bohemian in every sense of the word! They'd have ready access to tap rooms with sweaty old Czech man (and woman), big plates of dumplings and sausages, all the outsider art you can drive a skewer through and a nice solid brick bungalow.

The miles and miles of godforesaken former industrial sites in southern / SW Cook Co might be redeveloped with less interfernce from local corrupt politicians looking to cut a deal.

Towns like Wilmette, Evanston, Lagrange and Oak Park would give "young urban families" a ready made alternative to Roscoe Village or Bucktown without fear of losing their "606xx till I die" cred...

Friends in even more upscale towns would probably organize their existing police forces into some kind of "overlay" law enforcement authority like UofC has down in Hyde Park to get more of a sense of local safety...

Chet.

I think we are on the same page.

Do Chicago schools suck? Yes.

Do Chicago schools suck when factoring in a consolidated Cook County? No.

Is Chicago's murder rate terrible? Yes.

Is Chicago's murder rate terrible with all of Cook County combined? No.

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 09-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Can't give anymore rep now.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

LOL! I know you're joking, and it's a good one But to take that seriously for just a sec, I don't think the Chicago taxpayers would want the underfunded pensions and lousy schools in some of these suburbs. We've got enough problems.

Plus, you'd be able to measure the decibels of the collective screams from Oak Park and the North Shore from the International Space Station at the mere suggestion that they become part of CPS. Of course, they could do another overlay of super-subsidized schools to keep the riff raff at bay, but close enough by so they can make sure everyone else is embracing diversity.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Blah Blah Blah. Again, only you seem to care.

"Context". Do you understand it?
I understand context. Here's the context:

You meet a complete stranger.

Complete stranger asks where you're from/live.

You lie to that person because you assume they are ignorant and/or dumb.

Maybe this:

You lie to that person because it is too much trouble for you to utter one, two, or three more syllables when telling that person where you're from/live.

Or maybe it's this:

You lie to that person because the central city of your metro area is a world class, known-the-world-over, city that could arguably be bested by a handful of North American cities, and a few dozen in the world, while the suburb you live in is inconsequential to the main city, let alone the country or world, and it feels good to pretend like that inconsequential suburb you live in is essential to the main city.

So which one is it for you?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:

You lie to that person because the central city of your metro area is a world class, known-the-world-over, city that could arguably be bested by a handful of North American cities, and a few dozen in the world, while the suburb you live in is inconsequential to the main city, let alone the country or world, and it feels good to pretend like that inconsequential suburb you live in is essential to the main city.
World class? What, you mean like New York?

Sorry, but you're posting in the wrong forum. This is the Chicago forum. No one is impressed if you say you're from Chicago. Its like saying you're from Toledo. No one cares.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
World class? What, you mean like New York?

Sorry, but you're posting in the wrong forum. This is the Chicago forum. No one is impressed if you say you're from Chicago. Its like saying you're from Toledo. No one cares.
Alright, you ruled out number 3.

So which one are you then?:

You lie to that person because you assume they are ignorant and/or dumb.

OR

You lie to that person because it is too much trouble for you to utter one, two, or three more syllables when telling that person where you're from/live.

Arrogant, Lazy, or Both?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Arrogant, Lazy, or Both?
WTF? You're still going on this non-issue?

Its like asking "How are you?" You could answer, or you could just say "Fine, thanks."

Is that arrogant, lazy or both?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
WTF? You're still going on this non-issue?

Its like asking "How are you?" You could answer, or you could just say "Fine, thanks."

Is that arrogant, lazy or both?
Decent deflection. 6/10.

But, you know what? I'll actually answer your question to me even though it is a true "apples to oranges" comparison.

It's lazy. Not feeling like telling someone anything other than a boilerplate response is lazy.

So, can you answer my question now?

When you tell people you live in Chicago, when you don't, are you being arrogant, lazy, insecure, or some combination?

I've thought about this and it seems like those are the only three reasons why someone would lie about where they live.

So which one(s) applies to you?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So, can you answer my question now?

When you tell people you live in Chicago, when you don't, are you being arrogant, lazy, insecure, or some combination?
I don't like your choices. So its None of the Above. Although you would probably just say lazy. But then again, you're the one who thinks its lying.

Unlike you, I travel a lot. I meet strangers all the time. I don't want to be bored with the obscure differences between their neighborhoods and suburbs (say, for example, Astoria vs. Flushing). Just say "New York" so I know where the heck you're coming from. Nor am I going to bore them with the differences between MY neighborhoods and suburbs (for example, Lawndale vs. Berwyn). So I just say "Chicago" so they know where the heck I'm coming from. See? Its a win-win for both.

Did that guy lie when he said he's from New York but he's really from Flushing? Only to you, he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago