Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,105 times

Advertisements

I've been away from Chicago for about 3 years (Currently living in DC), and looking to move back to the City soon. I am interested in a SFH, and my realtor is suggesting I look at a few houses just Southwest of Kimball/Montrose, how is the area? what neighborhood is it considered? Are there any good Bars/Pubs/Restaurants in the area?

Ive lived in Lakeview/LP/Gold Coast for 5 years, but do not know that much about the Northwest Side. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM

771 posts, read 1,394,871 times
It's considered Albany Park or Irving Park depending what side of the Montrose you are at. Just FYI, it's NOTHING like Lakeview/Lincoln Park/GC. That area is predomintantly minority, specifically hispanic and asian. It's not particularly dangerous, but it's no Saguanash either.It has it's sketchy parts here and there but overall it's safe.

Overall I think the neighborhood is ok. It has some good eats and very diverse but other than that there is nothing particularly special about it. Although not too far, on Irving Park Road there are some pretty good bars and restaurants popping up. Also you are relatively close to Lincoln Square.

All in all it's a fine place to live, just don't expect it to be like any of the previous neighborhoods you lived in. I personally wouldn't live there, just cause it's not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean I don't like it, but is always seem so congested to me. I have had friends that have lived there, and traffic can get reall bad around there, and parking (unless you are living in the eastern portion) is less than desirable. It's an awesome place to live if you like diversity and ethnic foods. IMO I think there are better neighborhoods on the Northwest Side to live in, specifically Irving Park (the western part of it and the southern portion) and Avondale. It really depends what you are looking for too.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
It's considered Albany Park or Irving Park depending what side of the Montrose you are at. Just FYI, it's NOTHING like Lakeview/Lincoln Park/GC. That area is predomintantly minority, specifically hispanic and asian. It's not particularly dangerous, but it's no Saguanash either.It has it's sketchy parts here and there but overall it's safe.

Overall I think the neighborhood is ok. It has some good eats and very diverse but other than that there is nothing particularly special about it. Although not too far, on Irving Park Road there are some pretty good bars and restaurants popping up. Also you are relatively close to Lincoln Square.

All in all it's a fine place to live, just don't expect it to be like any of the previous neighborhoods you lived in. I personally wouldn't live there, just cause it's not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean I don't like it, but is always seem so congested to me. I have had friends that have lived there, and traffic can get reall bad around there, and parking (unless you are living in the eastern portion) is less than desirable. It's an awesome place to live if you like diversity and ethnic foods. IMO I think there are better neighborhoods on the Northwest Side to live in, specifically Irving Park (the western part of it and the southern portion) and Avondale. It really depends what you are looking for too.
Thanks, this is helpful; I know of the area, but didn't know many details. I know the neighborhood is nothing close to LP/LV just don't want to be an urban pioneer. I think I will move my search more to Roscoe Village or maybe Old Irving.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
It's not full of yuppies.
Doubt you'll like it.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Thanks, this is helpful; I know of the area, but didn't know many details. I know the neighborhood is nothing close to LP/LV just don't want to be an urban pioneer. I think I will move my search more to Roscoe Village or maybe Old Irving.

Thanks!
Are you a family person, cause I am not gonna lie either, Old Irving Park and Roscoe Village are EXTREMELY family oriented.

If you are someone with a family and kids then great. If your are a single person, you will be ok, as there are bars and restaurants in both, however, neither neighborhood is exciting or has THAT much to do. Roscoe Village is sleepy and Old Irving even more so. There are more intersting places in the NW, such as Avondale and Logan Square.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Are you a family person, cause I am not gonna lie either, Old Irving Park and Roscoe Village are EXTREMELY family oriented.

If you are someone with a family and kids then great. If your are a single person, you will be ok, as there are bars and restaurants in both, however, neither neighborhood is exciting or has THAT much to do. Roscoe Village is sleepy and Old Irving even more so. There are more intersting places in the NW, such as Avondale and Logan Square.

Not really a family person (yet), just looking for a neighborhood with some decent restaurants, bars, and fairly good walkability. I don't want a condo/townhome, and Ideally I would like to live in West Lakeview, but I can't yet afford a SFH there.

I grew up in the Southwest Suburbs, so outside the trendy northside hoods, Im not that familiar with the more northwest side. Avondale is around the Belmont Blueline stop, right? How would you sum up the neighborhood? I've always thought of Logan Square as a rough area, is that an out of date perception?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Not really a family person (yet), just looking for a neighborhood with some decent restaurants, bars, and fairly good walkability. I don't want a condo/townhome, and Ideally I would like to live in West Lakeview, but I can't yet afford a SFH there.

I grew up in the Southwest Suburbs, so outside the trendy northside hoods, Im not that familiar with the more northwest side. Avondale is around the Belmont Blueline stop, right? How would you sum up the neighborhood? I've always thought of Logan Square as a rough area, is that an out of date perception?

Roscoe Village is a good bet if you want to stay close to Lakeview, but again, it's very family oriented. Avondale is the Belmont Blue Line and the Addison Blue Line. In Avondale you are very close to Lakeview and Rosoce Village. You are actually close to a lot.

Logan Sqaure is only rough in the western portion. However the eastern portion is probably the hottest neighborhood in the city right now in terms of gentrification, if not second to Pilsen. Logan Square is a good neighborhood, cause it's relatively cheap and up and coming.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times
Life is annoying when you need a SFH but want to live somewhere where there are almost none, huh?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Life is annoying when you need a SFH but want to live somewhere where there are almost none, huh?
Yep...

Life is so hard.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Im not sure where I stated I need a SFH, but that I want one. While SFH are not the most common style housing style in LV/LP, there are plenty of them (over 100 currently listed on the MLS), I own a 3 flat in lakeview, and my block is majority SFH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago