U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

Im apartment hunting in Chicago.
I'm seeking an apt/loft/townhouse/condo.
Sublease is ok , prefer private owners.
I have a steady income, but some of my income is cash/residual/ check.
I dont have the best credit, but im a good tenant.
Are there any legit apartment finding services in chicago & suburbs ?
If I print my credit report , how can I avaoid the credit check ?
I'm trying to reduce the multiple inquiries on my credit?
Whats the best way to find private owners or nice safe affordable properties in chicago.
In atlanta renting is very easy, but it has its downsides.
In chicago renting is very flexible but finding an apt is very tricky?
Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,972,975 times
Many private owners advertise on Craigslist and the Chicago Reader. Also, some condos are listed on the MLS system and appear on realtor sites such as realtor.com.

Some private owners don't even require credit reports. Every landlord is different. You can always just hand them a copy of a very recently pulled credit report. Some will certainly take it. Others will want the security of pulling the report themselves.

Good luck with your move.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 33,168 times
I used the apartment people to rent my condo. They have quite a few condo listings for rent. They will also help you with getting approved for an apartment if your credit isn't perfect. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,916,779 times
I recently went on an outing with Chicago Apartment Finders and would not recommend them. I've heard Apartment People are the lesser of two evils but their reviews aren't that great either.

I would try to find an agent who works for reality company, or just try to find owner-listed units. The problem is the services spam craigslist and it is very difficult to find the owner-listed units. Use a service like Padmapper.com. They aggregate craigslist and delete duplicate entries automatically. Check it every day and use the filter to only show posts in the past 24 hours. I found my unit this way and am really happy with it.

As far as credit goes just be upfront with the owner about your credit score and what is on the report. There is no sense in having multiple landlords check your credit if they are simply going to turn you down. Let them run the report once you already know they are fine with your credit. Individual landlords might be ok with just seeing a copy of the report/score but its case by case.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,447 times
I can also tell you that I recently went out with Apartment Savvy and can't recommend them either. I chose them because it seemed like everything on Craigslist linked to them, but I think they just spam the lists. The girl that showed me around was a lot of fun and very nice, but she had only been in the city 6 months and I'm not sure she had enough experience in the city to tell me about different neighborhoods. They also only seemed to have places available in inconvenient high rises and horrible old 60s buildings.

I ended up going with a private apartment finder that my friend knew (luckily) because I was in a time crunch.

Good luck and prepare to spend a lot of time. Don't wait until the last minute because there is a good chance it may take more than one trip out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago