Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,000 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering buying a duplex down in Wicker Park. The problem is that our inspector discovered that the unit only has a sump pump and not an ejector pump. The sewer line is below the lower level and relies on gravity to take sewage to the street sewer. There is also not a flood check on the front of the property.

Our inspector is concerned that we are prone to sewage flooding in the lower level if the the city main backs up. Anyone have experience with similar situations? We understand that there is always some risk of flooding with duplex downs, but we also don't want to be stupid about this.

A few other pieces of info. The building was converted in '04 and has had no flooding issues. Additionally, you have to walk up 4-5 stairs to get to the main level of our place so the lower level is a little more elevated than a standard basement.

Any replies are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,111,615 times
Let me make this perfectly simple for you:

Even if you had an ejector pump it would not be "if" you flood, it would be "when" you flood. And ejector pump reduces the severity and frequency of the problem (depending on where you are and how good it is, it could even greatly reduce it), but you will still eventually flood. Maybe you'll flood because a storm overwhems your system. Maybe you'll flood because your pump breaks. Maybe you'll flood because a storm dumps rain and cuts out your power long enough for the backup batteries to fail. But make no mistake, you WILL flood eventually.

If that's okay with you, by all means continue looking at that property. Plenty of people do have duplex-down units and just put up with the risk and eventual problem. For me, I have no interest in garden apartments or duplex-downs. Even if it only happens once every five years - or even ten years, it's just a traumatic experience I personally have no interest in dealing with.

I live in a condo building with two duplex-down units at the bottom. Both have had repeated mild problems with sewer backups, and both have had at least one major flood in the time I've lived here (I've been here almost 8 years now). We do have ejector pumps, but a) the have failed and b) the past two years have generated some really strong storms that overwhelmed the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago