Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 9,845 times

Advertisements

I know that 1 in 10 threads is about neighborhoods but the suggestions seem pretty good so I thought I'd try it out. It looks like I'm moving to Chicago in the near future and I'm looking for suggestions on neighborhoods. Some notes:

I'll probably be working downtown in the loop and I'd like to be able to take the el to and from work, probably the blue or the brown from what I can tell. My ideal apartment is a two bedroom near one of those lines, near a few bars, places to eat, etc. I could go 1-bedroom if it's a decent size. My rent range is probably going to be between $1000-1500 a month. If you read me by my cover, you'd probably say "yuppie" but I like a neighborhood with character and don't really want to live in a highrise condo or anything like that. Older places with hardwood floors are a plus and running friendly areas are also a big plus. I would prefer not to have a commute more than 30-40 minutes each way and I have some friends in the city I hope to see regularly, mostly artists living in Andersonville and Rogers Park.

Suggestions? So far it's been recommended that I look at Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, and Bucktown. My friends also have an apartment finder that I will probably use but I was hoping to get some ideas to start with. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbe80 View Post
I know that 1 in 10 threads is about neighborhoods but the suggestions seem pretty good so I thought I'd try it out. It looks like I'm moving to Chicago in the near future and I'm looking for suggestions on neighborhoods. Some notes:

I'll probably be working downtown in the loop and I'd like to be able to take the el to and from work, probably the blue or the brown from what I can tell. My ideal apartment is a two bedroom near one of those lines, near a few bars, places to eat, etc. I could go 1-bedroom if it's a decent size. My rent range is probably going to be between $1000-1500 a month. If you read me by my cover, you'd probably say "yuppie" but I like a neighborhood with character and don't really want to live in a highrise condo or anything like that. Older places with hardwood floors are a plus and running friendly areas are also a big plus. I would prefer not to have a commute more than 30-40 minutes each way and I have some friends in the city I hope to see regularly, mostly artists living in Andersonville and Rogers Park.

Suggestions? So far it's been recommended that I look at Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, and Bucktown. My friends also have an apartment finder that I will probably use but I was hoping to get some ideas to start with. Thanks.
Welcome to Chicago. Andersonville would fit your criteria pretty well. Berwyn and Bryn Mawr Red Line stops, close to the Lake, rents not outrageous and bars and restaurants nearby.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,517 times
If you're willing to spend $1500/month for a 2-bed, you can probably live in any hood in the city. Obviously for yr commute being close to a L hub is a priority. Wicker park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Andersonville, all great hoods.

Tell us more abt what you're into/your interests and we can help you narrow it down.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbe80 View Post

If you want to head to Andersonville or Rogers Park regularly, I'd stick to the Red Line neighborhoods. Andersonville itself would be a good choice, or Lincoln Park, Lakeview or Buena Park. Plenty of options beyond highrises, and it offers shorter commute and easy access to the lakefront path.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM

204 posts, read 911,042 times
Andersonville, Uptown (mostly the section bordered by Foster,Broadway,Clark,and Lawrence; or Margate Park or Sheridan Park) Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Lakeview.

If you want to see your friends regularly, Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square would be a longer commute. I lived in Wicker Park for years and would see friends in Uptown and Andersonville weekly, it took 45 min to an 1hour and 15min each way (CTA).

Andersonville and the better parts of Uptown are great places to live and you should easily find something nice within your budget.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM

21 posts, read 125,115 times
i lived in lincoln square right off the western brown line for the last 4 years i lived in chicago. movie theatre, jewel (grocery store), cool bars and great restaurants all in walking distance. damen bus goes right to the heart of andersonville. i lived just off lincoln ave in a large 2 bedroom (with hardwood floors and a back yard) for $1300/month. loved it there. definitely merging into a bit more yuppie feel, but definitely still has some character (old german settled area, so some hold-out bars and restaurants, but also some great local shops). i may be a bit biased, but lincoln square (NOT park) sounds like it fits the bill well for you. look for stuff off of lincoln ave between lawrence and montrose.

i also lived for several years in the ravenswood neighborhood right off of the montrose brown line. a slight walk to lincoln square area but a little quieter/more neighborhood-y and lots of great vintage apartment buildings. also easy access to damen bus that goes right to andersonville.

apartment finders can be great for looking a a lot in one day if that's all you have, but also take the time to walk around a bit in the area you want to live and look for "for rent" signs. a lot of good deals with independent landlords can be found this way. padmapper.com is a great resource, too.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like Lakeview/Lincoln Park are going to be good bets. I'll keep looking around

Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times
Uptown or Edgewater. Inexpensive, good transit, and you won't be far from the lakefront trail, the best place to run in the city. And they definitely have character. Some parts of Uptown have a little too much character, but it's easy to avoid: live at least a few blocks from Wilson & Broadway.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

I'll definitely check out the lakefront trail.

I was hoping to find a place in Lakeview/Lincoln Park but I ended up with a place in Andersonville. Craigslist was totally overwhelming since I only had 48 hours and wasn't very familiar with neighborhoods. I made an appointment and went out with an apartment finder, but I was appalled at the stuff they were showing me. Small, overpriced places with no parking, usually located in the only hideous building on the block, etc. It was obvious that I wasn't going to have a lot of luck unless I had more time to spend looking for a place.

I ended up going with an apartment that recently opened up in my friends building. It is further out than I planned but it is large, reasonably priced and near everything in Andersonville. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the ~1 mile walk to the train that I'll be enduring in March :P

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,755 times
Craigslist is a cesspool for apartment hunting these days, 95% spam from apartment finding services and management companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago