Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM

3,126 posts, read 3,823,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You're better off not owning a gun.
Agree, you should not own "a" gun, you should own a few of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM

622 posts, read 1,189,944 times
please forgive the question and the lack of googling....i have my FOID. do i apply for a permit from the city before or after I take the class?

thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 PM

73 posts, read 324,658 times
https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...%20Release.pdf

I guess its saying to do the class first because at the end of the course you will receive an affidavit from the instructor which you will turn over to the city.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM

622 posts, read 1,189,944 times
thank you very much!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,730,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
This is the link I posted earlier that somehow is being overlooked. The gun does NOT have to be broken down.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

The other link provided by Linicx was from when Ryan was Gov. Just a tad outdated. But even in the old literature it does not say it needs to be broken down. How are people believing it says it does?
You can keep the link. If your an officer, that's good enough for me. Rule #1: the officer is always right. Rule #2: do whatever the officer says. Rule #3: when confronted by an officer, follow all instructions with "yes Sir officer Sir, or no Sir office Sir". Rule #4: if you have any questions, go back to rule #1. Sounds easy, right? I once asked an officer, why it's called a night stick, when you carry it, during the day? Next thing I know, the whole room turned dark. Later, I woke up in jail, with a huge lump on my head, and a terrible migraine. So, you don't have to worry about me questioning another officer. I learned my lesson a long time ago.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 02-07-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
please forgive the question and the lack of googling....i have my FOID. do i apply for a permit from the city before or after I take the class?

thanks!
after

Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
After taking the 5 hour CFP training course, I'll let you know what the instructor, a cop himself, says about how "broken down" the gun has to be and whether or not the magazine has to be away from the gun components.
Have you taken the class yet? If so where at and how was it? I'm on the fence about taking it, even though I currently dont own a gun.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM

278 posts, read 633,104 times
You can take the class at many gun ranges around Chicago in the suburbs (but not in the city). Just search "CFP training course". Make sure it's a CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit) class. Some gun ranges aren't licensed to give them. There is also one place in the city where you can do it that I will link below. It's somewhere on the west side. The classes, regardless of where you take it, are 5 hours and is usually around $125.

The Chicago Firearm Permit Course - Fidelity Investigative Training Academy, Chicago, IL. - Chicago Firearm Permit Course (CFP)

Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
This is the link I posted earlier that somehow is being overlooked. The gun does NOT have to be broken down.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

The other link provided by Linicx was from when Ryan was Gov. Just a tad outdated. But even in the old literature it does not say it needs to be broken down. How are people believing it says it does?
The original poster asked about transporting a gun from the city of Chicago to the suburbs. Your link appears correct for Illinois state law, however, Chicago has it's own gun ordinance which would need to be followed and it states in part:

"“Lawful transportation” means the transportation
(2) who has a valid FOID card, a CFP and firearm registration certificate, if applicable, and the firearm is: (i) broken down in a nonfunctioning state; (ii) not immediately accessible; and (iii) unloaded and in a firearm case."

So while transporting a firearm in or through Chicago, you must meet ALL (it's AND not OR) of the listed criteria (broken down, not immediately accessible, unloaded and in a case). Plus have your FOID (IL resident), your Chicago Firearm Permit and your Chicago Firearm Registration (Chicago city residents) for the weapon(s) being transported. As far as "broken down" your original link gives examples as "slide or barrel removed". If caught not transporting properly, the penalty includes...

"...shall be liable to the city for an administrative penalty of $1,000.00 plus any towing and storage fees applicable under Section 9-92-080. Any such vehicle shall be subject to seizure and impoundment pursuant to this section" (plus the police will seize the firearm and it will be forfeited to the city)

Source: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...r-registry.pdf

The IL state pdf you link to also states at the end that an individual is subject to local ordiances as well. So if someone plans on getting a gun in Chicago and transporting it, they should make sure they understand the Chicago ordinance (see source above). They should probably also confirm their understanding by calling the Chicago police. The original poster should not only go by what they read on a forum.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,790,447 times
Very good link and information. Just further confirms how overly oppressive in the wrong areas Chicago is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: