Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times

Advertisements

The city of Chicago has found yet another way to fleece its' citizens out of money. Now, we will have speed enforcement cameras in every school zone in the city. As usual, the citizens are going to bend over and take it. These cameras are going to cover half the area of the city.

There are harldy any accidents that occur in these zones. Can you imagine the disruption that this will cause on major streets located in these zones? Also, these speed limits are only enforcable during certain hours. Are the cameras going to be turned off during these times?

I'm actually thinking about moving out of the city because of this. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM

199 posts, read 618,468 times
The speed bumps that surround most schools don't generate any revenue.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...d-cameras.html

Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm actually thinking about moving out of the city because of this. It's ridiculous.
Look, if so many drivers weren't acting irresponsibly none of these things would be happening. Don't blame the enforcement measures. Blame the idiot drivers who care so little about everyone but themselves.

If someone wants to leave the city over the issue, that's fine with me. I suspect those so upset are in the minority who are causing the rest of us so many problems.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Look, if so many drivers weren't acting irresponsibly none of these things would be happening. Don't blame the enforcement measures. Blame the idiot drivers who care so little about everyone but themselves.

If someone wants to leave the city over the issue, that's fine with me. I suspect those so upset are in the minority who are causing the rest of us so many problems.
Except the enforcement mechanisms hardly have anything to do with safety. If their primary concern was safety, they would have at least paid attention to studies like these before putting in all of the Red Light Cameras that you see at so many intersections. It is obvious to anyone that they were all about generating revenue. Now that they have already lost my trust, it is hard for me to then take anyone's word for it that these cameras are about safety. There are other ways to improve safety in school zones; but all of them involve spending money (increasing law enforcement, reconfiguring the roads, etc.) as opposed to just sitting back and issuing tickets (speed cameras)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Considering that there are hardly any accidents in school zones I highly doubt that this is about safety. It's naive people like you that make it so easy for politicains to lie to the public. You believe anything, don't you? lol

I have a news flash for you: This is about money!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Speed Cameras Approved: Quinn Signs Off On Rahm's Red-Light Ticketing Measure

Sounds like there are good intentions behind it but If it really was for safety reasons wouldn't they have done this a long time ago?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I know another thread about this is in motion, but I have to ask: How exactly will this create disruptions on major streets?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
These cameras are nothing but a money grab. They are all driven by some company in AZ. Pretty low to use "the kids safety" as a front for an endless cash machine. Many cities/states are fighting back and banning these cameras completely. Chicago should too. LA had the cameras for a while, then discontinued use after they determined they were NOT making money on it. So there you go.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I know another thread about this is in motion, but I have to ask: How exactly will this create disruptions on major streets?
my thoughts exactly. if you are going faster than 30 mph (much less on a side street, where most schools are) you are already disrupting traffic and pedestrians by going too fast.

I was a huge skeptic of these cameras until they put one at Belmont & Kedzie- that intersection used to have regular accidents requiring ambulances and tow trucks, and has seriously chilled out since that time. It's either cameras or we pay a lot more taxes to get more cops on the street to actually enforce traffic laws.

Chicago drivers need to wake up and stop acting like such aggressive jerks. When you're in charge of a 2,000 lb. + piece of machinery, getting somewhere fast isn't as important as getting somewhere safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: