Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That looks nothing like the Disciple's fork.
Yeah, that was my reaction too. If there's a gang symbol in there it's nearly impossible to see. If he had done a heart with a fork on either side or something I would see a problem, but this is pretty oblique. The hands are too small to see in any of the photos I've seen, so it's hard to see anything going on with them (and they look pretty poorly drawn to boot). Does any use of a heart symbol mean it's a gang symbol? I supposed any use of crowns is out now as well.

Anyways, I challenge anyone to drive around the city and find gang symbols that look anything like that sticker. I've seen plenty of tags and symbols, and that looks nothing like anything I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yeah, that was my reaction too. If there's a gang symbol in there it's nearly impossible to see. If he had done a heart with a fork on either side or something I would see a problem, but this is pretty oblique. The hands are too small to see in any of the photos I've seen, so it's hard to see anything going on with them (and they look pretty poorly drawn to boot). Does any use of a heart symbol mean it's a gang symbol? I supposed any use of crowns is out now as well.

Anyways, I challenge anyone to drive around the city and find gang symbols that look anything like that sticker. I've seen plenty of tags and symbols, and that looks nothing like anything I've seen.
I agree, but still - it's too close for comfort. And the hands in the sticker are totally wack. If they aren't some really crafty gang reference, they are the most poorly drawn (and ergonomically challenged) hands I've seen in a long time.

At the end of the day, it's too late - you keep the sticker, you are definitely empowering a boatload of wanna-be gangsters (if not the real ones) who will see this as pulling a fast one over the eyes of the stupid establishment.

Which is not to say I don't share that last sentiment myself...

Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,951 times
Clearly some people here are not aware how subtle gang symbols, etc. can be when trying to blend in. Did you expect to see the heart have a tail and horns and MLD to be emblazoned all over it? This isn't 20 years ago and gangs all look like from the movie "Colors". Clearly it's symbols could not be in your face obvious otherwise it would have never made it through. Some are missing the point here big time, it's not that "everything" can be a gang symbol. You have to look at the symbology in connection with the user. Pittsburgh Pirates baseball hats are worn by a lot of people. But a certain segment use it to represent Latin King. So you mean to tell me if you saw a Hispanic kid with a rat tail wearing a Pirates hat and other Black/Gold clothing your opinion would be, "wow, he must really like the Pirates, it is a pure coincidence that this would be gang related coloring". It is very clear to me some here need to take off their blinders and recognize what it going on. The flashy 80's and 90's symbology of gangs is pretty much long dead. The symbols and representations are far more subtle now. I don't even see Pirates hats and other flashy symbols often anymore. It's often a piece of color or 2 on clothing. A concealed symbol in artwork or tattoos or more hidden symbols. Gang bangers know the laws are stricter now for gang activity and prefer not to have these symbols photographed when arrested to avoid increased charges. People need to keep up on the evolution of gangs. I think some still expect to see a gang member sporting obvious colors, hats cocked to the side and handkerchief's out of back pockets.

Maybe a side by side comparison will help:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...orschach-Test/
Granted the article is written by someone who claims to be a "weenie liberal arts major" and he appears to be just as clueless.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 02-08-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,951 times
Well, the sticker has been pulled and the family already has a lawyer. The poor angel is suffering supposed anxiety attacks. Yup, positioning themselves for a payday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4996608.story

Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Clearly some people here are not aware how subtle gang symbols, etc. can be when trying to blend in. Did you expect to see the heart have a tail and horns and MLD to be emblazoned all over it? This isn't 20 years ago and gangs all look like from the movie "Colors". Clearly it's symbols could not be in your face obvious otherwise it would have never made it through. Some are missing the point here big time, it's not that "everything" can be a gang symbol. You have to look at the symbology in connection with the user. Pittsburgh Pirates baseball hats are worn by a lot of people. But a certain segment use it to represent Latin King. So you mean to tell me if you saw a Hispanic kid with a rat tail wearing a Pirates hat and other Black/Gold clothing your opinion would be, "wow, he must really like the Pirates, it is a pure coincidence that this would be gang related coloring". It is very clear to me some here need to take off their blinders and recognize what it going on. The flashy 80's and 90's symbology of gangs is pretty much long dead. The symbols and representations are far more subtle now. I don't even see Pirates hats and other flashy symbols often anymore. It's often a piece of color or 2 on clothing. A concealed symbol in artwork or tattoos or more hidden symbols. Gang bangers know the laws are stricter now for gang activity and prefer not to have these symbols photographed when arrested to avoid increased charges. People need to keep up on the evolution of gangs. I think some still expect to see a gang member sporting obvious colors, hats cocked to the side and handkerchief's out of back pockets.

"Gang Signs" in the Chicago City Sticker: A Rorschach Test - The 312 - February 2012 - Chicago
Granted the article is written by someone who claims to be a "weenie liberal arts major" and he appears to be just as clueless.
No **** captain obvious.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:

"Gang Signs" in the Chicago City Sticker: A Rorschach Test - The 312 - February 2012 - Chicago
you do know that gangs *never* looked like they did in the movie Colors, right?

now THE WARRIORS, now that was a movie which accurately portrayed gang outfits.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
The kid got the illustration of the hands from a book of patterns and images his art teacher had in class, and she said he could use them.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,487 times
Quote:
Really. Does anyone in the City's Offices do any research or proof read. Hope this didn't go into production and already cost the tax payers to print. There is no way a child would draw 4 exact hands in that configuration accidentally.

Here's original news story:
City reveals new parking stickers - Chicago Tribune

Here's the sticker exposed:
Second City Cop: Whoa! Is This True?

They don't even look like gang signs. People tend to overreact.....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,487 times
Quote:
It's the Maniac Latin Disciples. Also the Heart is a major sign for them. No not every hand gesture is a gang sign, and the finger position on this drawing is very deliberate. On this kids Facebook page he claims MLD affiliation. Also plenty of pics of him smoking weed and throwing up signs. Also the little angels father is a gang member and the pics of him show him with guns. Don't be naive and believe this was an accident. This was very intentional.

Here's the angel:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GMwUD34PP0..._3150955_n.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-osW5IsF_9I...68130839_n.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OCtmftfd3y...31425632_n.jpg

And Daddy
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XY3nYcg2Fp...32238233_n.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gtrgc9INi-...6_955080_n.jpg

Facebook of angel and dad talking
imgur: the simple image sharer

At least his father said something....

Don't people complain about how parents don't say anything to kids about the stuff they are doing?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Reminds me of when the goatse.cx-inspired 2012 Olympics logo proposal made it onto a BBC news broadcast. Whoops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago