Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times

Advertisements

The new one has latin lover colors and the paramedic is throwing down the stones fin sign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The easiest way to feel old is to look at the facebook pages of teenage relatives - or if avengerfire, random teenage girls. Its amazing how they refuse to spell more than 2 to 3 words correctly.
my teen niece spells "day" "daii" (as in "todaii"), which seems like a bit more work then just spelling it correctly. I've tutored high school and college students and I cringe when I see text speak and common FB misspellings creep into essays.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
The new one has latin lover colors and the paramedic is throwing down the stones fin sign
Continue to bury your head in the sand and make up whatever you want. If the designer of the new sticker has pictures like this on their FB page, the city should kill that sticker to.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
No one is defending the kid.
We are defending art.
Can I ask why? Seriously, it's pretty lousy. And I mean objectively/technically speaking.

Chicago has Fine Arts magnet high schools which I am sure are full of extremely talented artists, why do we keep getting these stickers that look like something my kid could draw?

This isn't a very good lesson about how things work in the real world for artists - this seems to be some mushy well-meaning but ultimately counterproductive way to elevate a few kids who have touched the heartstrings of a clearly dismal selection committee.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
On second thought, this will probably be a collectors item some day. I might get two!
I'll strike you a deal: pay for half the cost of mine and I'll let you keep it after it expires. I'll even use that windshield relief stuff so that it comes off perfectly intact and unblemished.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'll strike you a deal: pay for half the cost of mine and I'll let you keep it after it expires. I'll even use that windshield relief stuff so that it comes off perfectly intact and unblemished.
While I do think these are stickers are so awesomely bad that 20 years from now futurehipsters will pay a premium to paste it on their space-scooters, while wearing Groupon t-shirts and ironically well-shaved faces, I'm content to just stick with 1 for now.

But thanks for the offer!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
While I do think these are stickers are so awesomely bad that 20 years from now futurehipsters will pay a premium to paste it on their space-scooters, while wearing Groupon t-shirts and ironically well-shaved faces, I'm content to just stick with 1 for now.

But thanks for the offer!
You have 4 months to reconsider.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Continue to bury your head in the sand and make up whatever you want. If the designer of the new sticker has pictures like this on their FB page, the city should kill that sticker to.

What does that have to do with a city sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Can I ask why? Seriously, it's pretty lousy. And I mean objectively/technically speaking.

Chicago has Fine Arts magnet high schools which I am sure are full of extremely talented artists, why do we keep getting these stickers that look like something my kid could draw?

This isn't a very good lesson about how things work in the real world for artists - this seems to be some mushy well-meaning but ultimately counterproductive way to elevate a few kids who have touched the heartstrings of a clearly dismal selection committee.
Its pretty badass actually. I like it.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
The heart with hands or the weird superhero one?

I like kids, and it's good to give them encouragement, but for a thousand bucks we should be getting something that would pass professional artist muster - I know a lot of professional artists who spend countless hours on pieces that don't get them a grand.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
No way, that's one of the wimpiest ones there was, it looks like it's from a TV show for pre-schoolers. And why does it have Stephen Colbert masturbating on right side of it? Just plain weird.

You can see all of the finalists here.

This is the one I voted for:

Now THAT'S badass! I especially like the hot EMT/doctor/nurse he put in the upper right. Awesome.

Last edited by Attrill; 02-10-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago