Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 27,180 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for an apartment in the city and just made the daring move from Craigslist to classifieds in the Chicago Reader, and I am finding many more *cheap* apartments in great areas. Like, $625 in Lincoln Park. Is this an unusual amount to pay? For the past week I've been looking only at Craigslist and have come to expect anything on the not-Southside to be 700+.

I find it hard to believe that I could actually afford to live in Lincoln Park. Should I be suspicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM

I should mention that these were studio apartments, but still.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
You should probably be suspicious of that. My guess would be that a Lincoln Park studio should be at least $750, and that would be for an older smaller one that's not particularly convenient to transit. It's not impossible, so feel free to do some more scoping of the place, but it sounds fishy.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
You should probably be suspicious of that. My guess would be that a Lincoln Park studio should be at least $750, and that would be for an older smaller one that's not particularly convenient to transit. It's not impossible, so feel free to do some more scoping of the place, but it sounds fishy.
Is heat included? It might also be very small or in a basement AKA garden apartment.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
$625 even for a roachbox in LP borders on implausible, but it's worth looking into. Makes me wonder if it's even a legal unit.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
I can verify that such prices can be legit and the location can even be pretty prime. The apartments are not the biggest or most beautiful, and the management is not always perfect, but all things considered, it does the trick for me. I'm living that life and I've got no serious complaints.

I never quite know what to make of people's reactions "wow, Lincoln Park" but I just kind of shrug and laugh.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
The price would make me ask all kinds of questions, though; maybe you're paying your own heat/hot water, maybe it's just a studio, maybe there's no on-site laundry....and maybe, you'll be sharing a bathroom ..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
i'm sure you can find a tiny studio above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley for 650 in LP. As others mentioned it's probably a dump but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I can verify that such prices can be legit and the location can even be pretty prime. The apartments are not the biggest or most beautiful, and the management is not always perfect, but all things considered, it does the trick for me. I'm living that life and I've got no serious complaints.

I never quite know what to make of people's reactions "wow, Lincoln Park" but I just kind of shrug and laugh.

this is pretty spot on.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post

Awesome, thanks! Actually, shortly after posting this I came across a $525 "sleeping room" for rent in Lincoln Park. I suppose the area might be worth it, considering I would probably want to spend more time outside of my apartment/bedroom than in it anyways. Ha.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
You should probably be suspicious of that.
It's okay to be "suspicious," but rents in that range are commonplace in Lincoln Park and popularly advertised and promoted by reputable property management companies. Good locations. Good rents. Often with utilities tosssed in at no additional cost. Hard to beat if you want location and lower-price, but don't mind a studio apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: