Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 42,867 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Elk Grove Village, would it be feasible to live in Chicago and commute to work or would that be insane and not doable??

What would the time of commute be, I am a 24 year old and would love to live in the heart of the city but don't know if this is possible?

Or is there a better way, such as living on the outside of Chicago towards Elk Grove Village, shortening the commute to work, and also allowing me to take public transportation to where all the action is?

I'm torn it's a great job so close to an amazing city but maybe it would be wisest to live in Elk Grove Village in this case??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
If you live in the city plan on an hour's commute to Elk Grove (more in inclement weather) and possibly dicey parking on your return home at night. There are fewer recreation outlets for young folks in the suburbs, however, and fewer places to meet and mingle.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHero View Post
I have a job opportunity in Elk Grove Village, would it be feasible to live in Chicago and commute to work or would that be insane and not doable??

What would the time of commute be, I am a 24 year old and would love to live in the heart of the city but don't know if this is possible?

Or is there a better way, such as living on the outside of Chicago towards Elk Grove Village, shortening the commute to work, and also allowing me to take public transportation to where all the action is?

I'm torn it's a great job so close to an amazing city but maybe it would be wisest to live in Elk Grove Village in this case??
It's a long trip from Chicago to Elk Grove Village and the public transportation going out to that suburb isn't as good as the CTA is around the city. You will probably find reasonable rents out in the Elk Grove Village area, so it may be worth it to live near your workplace. My suggestion would be to buy a reliable car and travel to the city when you want to experience the night life as many suburbanites do.

Trying to drive in rush hour traffic is a real pain and you may regret having taken a job or apartment so far away from each other.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 PM

96 posts, read 647,099 times
Quote:

it depends where in the city. If you're required to take the I-90, then the commute will suck. The CTA is not that better either these days

Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 AM

18 posts, read 85,542 times
yeah it's at LEAST a min. of an hour drive....add rain and snow and you are talkin' a few hours. I'd say live in EG and then go downtown during the weekend.....unless you don't mind long commutes...

Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
It's strange seeing people reflexively claim it will be an hour from Chicago to Elk Grove considering they border each other. It will all depend on which part of Chicago you want to live in. One presumes you wish to live in the city to partake in its cultural, dining, entertainment and nightlife activities. In that case, yeah, it will probably take about an hour to get from any "worthwhile" part of Chicago (based on those criteria anyway) to Elk Grove. You can split the difference by living as far along the CTA Blue Line as possible -- near the Cumberland or Harlem stops for instance. The Blue Line runs 24/7 and gives you access to numerous of the city's dining/entertainment/nightlife spots either directly (Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Little Italy) or by connection to 24/7 bus lines (Lawrence Avenue bus line to Lincoln Square, Andersonville or Uptown, Belmont bus to Lakeview and short walk from there to Lincoln Park). And from, say, the Higgins and Cumberland area, your commute to Elk Grove could be as little as 20 minutes.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 AM

34 posts, read 39,649 times
no--live in the city or Schaumburg You will have airplanes overhead every 30 seconds in EGV.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 PM

77 posts, read 300,579 times
Very doable. EGV doesn't have Sh%t but planes and Semi's.

I currently live in Bucktown and work in Wood Dale (next to EGV) driving in takes an hour if I leave at 7am driving home at 4:30 takes about 45 min. If it rains or snows the drive can take anywhere from 1 hr-2.

I also have the option to take the Metra which takes 30 min to get to Wood Dale from the Western Stop. you could always leave a bike or car in EGV or have a co worker pick and drop you off at the train station.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 PM

14 posts, read 42,867 times
Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

I have done an hour commute before so it's not a big deal, I would get audio cd programs that help me improve in some way so I wasn't wasting my time.

I'm glad to see there are some positive responses, One of the deciding factors for taking the job was to be able to live in an amazing city. There are lots of great jobs where I currently live but it is nowhere to mention so a great city is very important to me.

You all have helped ease my mind, again thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
I have done an hour commute before so it's not a big deal....
But have you done an hour commute in solid stop-and-go traffic nearly the entire way, at an average speed of about 12 miles an hour? It's much more physically and mentally taxing than just cruising along at 70mph on a freeway for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago