Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,212,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaopari View Post
Hi everyone,
i have a question about moving to Chicago from NYC. I want to move to Chicago in the next two to three months, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some advise on the job market? How are the salaries compared to NY salaries? are they the same or they tend to go lower?

They tend to be lower, but Chicago tends to be cheaper. Also depends on the industry. Here are the results from a salary comparison (but this is with Manhattan and Chicago.....other areas probably aren't as drastic):

Salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
$50,000
Comparable salary in Chicago IL:
$27,409.32

If you move from New York (Manhattan) NY to Chicago IL...

Groceries will cost: 23.99% less
Housing will cost: 65.768% less
Utilities will cost: 25.733% less
Transportation will cost: 5.806% less
Healthcare will cost: 15.383% less

For instance, here is Queens and Chicago:

Salary in New York (Queens) NY:
$50,000
Comparable salary in Chicago IL:
$38,841.42

If you move from New York (Queens) NY to Chicago IL...

Groceries will cost: 12.435% less
Housing will cost: 36.329% less
Utilities will cost: 15.132% less
Transportation will cost: 0.036% less
Healthcare will cost: 4.22% less

Again, it depends on your job, where you live in Chicago vs. where you live in NYC and such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 30,945 times
I am an accountant. I have been in this profession for 5yrs. now. i am still debating about moving since i will be leaving NY to go to Chicago. isn't it the same concept? plus, i have a lot to think about. i have a condo in NJ, and i will be wasting money in rent once i move there. i just need a good reason to move to chicago. any advise??

Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,605,319 times
Quote:
I am an accountant. I have been in this profession for 5yrs. now. i am still debating about moving since i will be leaving NY to go to Chicago. isn't it the same concept? plus, i have a lot to think about. i have a condo in NJ, and i will be wasting money in rent once i move there. i just need a good reason to move to chicago. any advise??
it dosent sound like you want to leave, so why are you?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
it dosent sound like you want to leave, so why are you?
well, i visit chicago twice within the past 2 months. i loved the city, i was impressed with it, but i was there for the weekend and doing all the tourists stuff. maybe i loved it because i was there on vacation, or what. plus, one of my girl-friends from ohio is thinking to move there, therefore, i am thinking too. mostly, because it seemed like chicago had a lot more guys, and we are turning 30 pretty soon, and we want a big change, so we thought why not chicago. we love the city plus plenty of guys all jokes aside, i think we want to do it for ourselves because we want a big change, but i am tied here with my mortgage payment and i do not know if i can manage it both expenses in two different states.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:11 PM

319 posts, read 1,246,890 times
Default yay for more new yorkers coming to chicago!

my husband and i moved this past weekend - we love our new place and are very excited to leave nyc. we've both been there our whole lives and we love chicago and are very happy we made the move.

best of luck to you. feel free to pm me and ask me any questions!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
my husband and i moved this past weekend - we love our new place and are very excited to leave nyc. we've both been there our whole lives and we love chicago and are very happy we made the move.

best of luck to you. feel free to pm me and ask me any questions!
how did you land yourself a job? did you use recruiter or online job search engine? where in chicago you moved to? how is rent compared to ny area? i have millions questions to ask, but i am asking the most important and neccessary ones. thank you so much for your answers.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 PM

319 posts, read 1,246,890 times
Quote:
how did you land yourself a job? did you use recruiter or online job search engine? where in chicago you moved to? how is rent compared to ny area? i have millions questions to ask, but i am asking the most important and neccessary ones. thank you so much for your answers.
i'm actually still looking for a job i saved enough to cover rent until the end of the year if need be. i've got a few interviews lined up next week. i had a hard time doing the long distance search - i made a few trips from nyc but mostly to explore neighborhoods. we went to chicago apt finders - i had a great experience with them. our agent, louis, spent a lot of time with us and drove us to look at different apts in many diff areas to see what we would get for our $$ in diff hoods. we ended up in lincoln sq/ravenswood - i love it..it's so quiet except for cicadas. we are on a very bucolic residential block but very close to the el - we're 1 blk from montrose (hope it will be open soon) but close to damen and irving park too. lots to explore and do but quiet enough at night. we have great neighbors and have bbq'd with them a few times.

i would come out and visit - meet with different recruiters - i may or may not be able to assist you depending on your industry - i'm in legal; my husband is in IT. i got a feel for salary, demand, etc. meet with diff apt agencies. see what feels a fit - i'm sure you'll find at least 5 neighborhoods you love.

rent is well.. much cheaper. i guess it depends on what neighborhood - some areas had smaller, more manhattan size apts (but not AS small...pls my first apt was 400 sq ft!!). i'm from bklyn so my apt feels HUGE and has front sun porch and back deck with grill. i also have a shared veg/herb garden. gas is steeper than nyc but overall everything else is cheaper in my opinion. i think you get more for your $ in chicago.

anything else, feel free to pm me.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 28,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you can survive NYC's winters, youll get along here just fine.
Not true. Chicago is zone 5 and New York zone 6. Winter months are shorter in New York and cold snaps less frequent. Cold spells don't typically last as long in New York as you often have Jan. and Feb. repreaves of 50 degrees or so for days on end. I've lived in both and Chicago is much colder for much longer.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
hdb

7 posts, read 17,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyBrothers View Post
Not true. Chicago is zone 5 and New York zone 6. Winter months are shorter in New York and cold snaps less frequent. Cold spells don't typically last as long in New York as you often have Jan. and Feb. repreaves of 50 degrees or so for days on end. I've lived in both and Chicago is much colder for much longer.
Chicago is definitely colder. I remember being stuck inside some days because it was too dangerous to go outside, even for a few minutes. Never had that happen in NYC.

On the other hand, Chicago is was designed for the cold. If you live in a good neighborhood, you can really minimize the amoung of time you have to spend outside on the coldest days and possibly avoid going out altogether. When I lived in a building with access to the pedway, I could get to the grocery store, gym and even a mall and theater without having to go outside once.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 28,071 times
That's true. Firstly Chicago is more of a car city than New York making it less necessary to be out on the streets as much and in addition I could walk from Harbor Dr. all the way to Wabash without going up on street level by walking right under Randolph in order to avoid the harsh lake winds. Chicago is really harshly cold in winter. Like knives cutting into your face with that wind and below 0 temps.
Nice clean city.....harsh winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago