Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,552 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm a 30 year-old male from the east coast and moved to Chicago last summer. I love it here, though I've discovered that my shower water causes my face to break-out unlike anything I've experienced (strange though this sounds, I'm not interested in responses disputing this...I've "isolated the variables" and have found that only shower-head filters solve the problem).

I'd love to hear what others may have experienced or know about this. Could it be isolated to my rental unit (an older, converted flat) or the neighborhood (Ravenswood) or is this related to a water trait (like hard water or something else) endemic to the entire city? Thanks for any insights. I'm simply trying to know whether I should move to a different building/neighborhood or if I should just sit tight and keep using these shower filters.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
I've never heard of anyone experiencing this in Chicago. I know two people who live in different Ravenswood locations and neither has encountered this situation.

It is possible it could be an allergy to a substance in either the city wide water supply or something within your buildings water. Some of the pipes could harbor a potential allergen. But I guess you already know that.

It is interesting that only your face is impacted. Perhaps the facial skin is more sensitive than other parts of the body.

Here is a link to the Environmental Working Group website. Input your zip code in the "Find Out What's in Your Drinking Water" search box to look at the various pollutants/toxins we have here in the Chicago water:
Find out what's in what you're drinking: Search the US Tapwater Database | Environmental Working Group

I am glad you found a solution with the water filter.

Last edited by soulful; 02-20-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Have you tried replacing the shower head? Maybe something funky is growing inside it.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Yes I would guess that its not the water but something bad in the shower head that is spraying bacteria on your face.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

I replaced the shower head last summer before trying the filters. Regardless, it sounds like you all are saying it's likely an isolated issue with my building or pipes. If anyone thinks otherwise, just let me know. Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

110 posts, read 250,813 times
I live in an older building too. Similar issues. My faucets and such all have a build-up of white gunk. I've been told it's either iron or calcium and it's because the pipes are old.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Could be pipes in your building, and could be what they add to the water in the summer. During warm weather they add more chemicals to the water to kill off any microbes that can live in Lake Michigan when the water is warmer. They don't do as much of that in the winter. Have you tried using unfiltered water recently?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I also have skin issues. I find that where ever I go water that is treated with too much bleach or too much sodium chloride causes me a lot of problems. I eased my problems at home by installing a water conditioner and using potassium chloride as well as changing the type of soap I use for washing clothes, and also for skin.

The one thing I have learned is skin disease is not as uncommon as perceived. Also one size does not fit all or fix all. It is not usually a fast or inexpensivce process to find what words best.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM

This is all interesting. Also, thanks for the link, soulful. I visited the site and after plugging in zip codes found that Chicago's water supply has 21 total pollutants recorded, 14 of which exceed health guidelines.

I wasn't sure if that was normal, but when compared to the national average (8 total pollutants, 4 excessive), cities I've lived in before like DC (4 and 3) and Detroit (3 and 2), as well as other major cities like New York (12 and 7), San Francisco (8 and 6), and St. Louis (8 and 5), this seems like a lot. I'm no scientist, but perhaps it's the water supply causing my problems after all...thoughts?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
It certainly could be something in the citywide water supply to which you are allergic.

We don't have the best water in the country. The media was all over it a year or so ago when they realized our Chromium 6 levels were 11x over the standard set in California:
Tests Confirm High Chromium-6 Levels in Tap Water: Chicagoist

You could even be allergic to some of the chemicals added during the filtration process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago