Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 AM

85 posts, read 199,717 times

Advertisements

I'm an out-of-towner but my friend is trying to do research on some nice city neighborhoods in the Chicago area & mentioned to me a neighborhood by the name of Whitaker Park or Wicker Park? I've never heard of this area and was wondering if anyone here knows or has info on the area...he's considering Oak Park, so I don't know if this helps..

but have any of you ever heard of this neighborhood or community???? (whitaker or wicker park) or something close to it? Maybe I heard the name wrong?

thanks

Last edited by TexasNC; 09-07-2007 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Wicker Park is located on the NW side. Formerly an artist/musician enclave. Now primarily gentrified and overpriced.

Oak Park is a primarily wealthy near west suburb that borders Chicago.

West Town, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oak Park, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 AM

85 posts, read 199,717 times
is wicker park consider a nice, professional area to live? it sounds like trendy, greenwich village or artsy place with younger people? What is the housing like?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
It is a mix of both. I've lived in the area (just a bit south) for four years but have been intimately familiar with the neighborhood since 1992 so I've seen the changes first hand. The housing is definitely getting expensive and the area is changing from more bohemian to trendy (a lot of higher end boutiques are coming into town) but it is still a nice place to live. With gentrification there have been both good and bad changes. The good? Crime has dropped, there are some more services available). The bad? Well, everyone knows the bad that comes with gentrification, let's not rehash that.

As far as housing is concerned, the apartments, in my experience, tend to be a bit smaller than further north and it is indeed mostly apartments in two and three flat apartment buildings. Condos are popping up like weeds making rental units a bit pricier and harder to come by, but you can still get a good deal (believe me, if that wasn't the case, I would have been long gone by now).

Wicker Park is only about 3-4 miles from the LOOP and when the 'el' is running as it should, it is a pretty quick trip.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...cker-park.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-good-bad.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...cker-park.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...llage-too.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...vs-wicker.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-bucktown.html

I swear it's time to make a sticky describing the various neighborhoods for those who can't trouble themselves to look through the 3,739 threads already written about the most asked-about neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: