Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM

13 posts, read 98,236 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, myself and a couple buddies will be visiting in a few weeks and staying downtown. My buddies are looking for a nightclub that plays a lot of Latin/Reggaeton music- such as Daddy Yankee, Pitbull, Don Omar, etc. Can you recommend a place that may work? I have been to Nacional 27 before and that was a good time but seems like they play more salsa, bachata, merengue style latin music. The Reggaeton music is more like Latin hip hop. We will be hanging out near the River North area and also probably the Lincoln Park/Lakeview areas. Any recommendations are much appreciated...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
Might want to consider heading slightly NW (around the Bucktown area sorta) and check out the V Live club off of Milwaukee Avenue. Another spot to check out might be Green Dolphin (also slightly NW of the downtown area). In Lincoln Park, might want to check out this spot "Fuse". There are quite a few spots in the Chi that cater to this genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop_a_holic View Post
Hi Guys, myself and a couple buddies will be visiting in a few weeks and staying downtown. My buddies are looking for a nightclub that plays a lot of Latin/Reggaeton music- such as Daddy Yankee, Pitbull, Don Omar, etc. Can you recommend a place that may work? I have been to Nacional 27 before and that was a good time but seems like they play more salsa, bachata, merengue style latin music. The Reggaeton music is more like Latin hip hop. We will be hanging out near the River North area and also probably the Lincoln Park/Lakeview areas. Any recommendations are much appreciated...thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times
Quote:
You will find very little of what you are looking for in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. You need to go northwest to Logan Sqouare, Bucktown or Wicker Park. Only place that might work in LP is Salud and Zentra.

In Wicker Park try Sangria. However one of the best places for good Latin music is ñ. not so much reggaton but a lot of Latin mixes.

Also Havana in River North has awesome music, but it's not really hip hop per say.

Tumbao is also a pretty good spot but, from where you are it's hard to get to.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Awesome! Thanks for that information- I really appreciate it. When looking up information I also saw a place called Transit Nightclub that has the same type of music. Do you guys know much about Transit? It looks like it may be on the edge of the downtown area and maybe a questionable area also (for an out-of-towner?). I would also love to hear your personal favorites based on visiting Latin Clubs around Chicago. Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for that information- I really appreciate it. When looking up information I also saw a place called Transit Nightclub that has the same type of music. Do you guys know much about Transit? It looks like it may be on the edge of the downtown area and maybe a questionable area also (for an out-of-towner?). I would also love to hear your personal favorites based on visiting Latin Clubs around Chicago. Thanks again!
The only time I ever went to Transit was for an Asian night, and I didn't really like it. But then again I really don't like clubs. The area around Transit isn't really that bad, though you are closer to some more sketchier parts. When I was there there were enough people walking in the streets where it didn't feel scary. However, I would definitely cab it from River North.

Anyway, if you really like clubs Transit should be fine, along with Salud and Zentra. Tumbao is not really a nightclub, more of a bar with a dancefloor. I am not familiar what nights are reggaton/latin nights, cause I just really don't go to clubs. I am sure there are other places I am missing. Club OHM is actually pretty decent too and in a good area.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM

I totally forgot about Transit. This is an easy cab ride from downtown and it's basically in the far West Loop area closer to the United Center.

The main thing I'd say about any of these places is just try not to disrespect anyone (intentionally or unintentionally lol). The gang / macho culture is pretty big among the 2nd generation Latinos in Chicago (not meant to be racist in anyway, a LOT of my friends are Latino), and you always need to be somewhat vigilant. I've seen fights break out in these clubs and in all kinds of clubs, and it's often times not a good end result.

Quote:

Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I totally forgot about Transit. This is an easy cab ride from downtown and it's basically in the far West Loop area closer to the United Center.

The main thing I'd say about any of these places is just try not to disrespect anyone (intentionally or unintentionally lol). The gang / macho culture is pretty big among the 2nd generation Latinos in Chicago (not meant to be racist in anyway, a LOT of my friends are Latino), and you always need to be somewhat vigilant. I've seen fights break out in these clubs and in all kinds of clubs, and it's often times not a good end result.
Good point. Again I don't frequent clubs, but last week I was a Zentra, mostly latinos, and I was told that a huge fight broke out in the club after I had left.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Yep. Usually the end result will be hella cops on the scene, party's shut down, and a bunch of pissed off bouncers running all over the place. In other words, a completely chaotic scene and a total buzzkill. A lot of these fights break out over something as simple as a guy hitting on some dude's girl. It's really ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Good point. Again I don't frequent clubs, but last week I was a Zentra, mostly latinos, and I was told that a huge fight broke out in the club after I had left.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the info. guys! You are absolutely right- I know what you mean about not disrespecting anyone- sometimes it doesn't take much to **** someone you don't know off (stepping on their shoe, even bumping into them because someone bumped into you) One of our buddies going is latino (grew up in East L.A. and is fluent in spanish) so that may help but I still don't trust strangers- ya know? Lol

I checked out Havana's website in River North and I think we will check that out- seems like a cool vibe. What do you know about Rumba and Carnivale? I think both of these are in the River North area as well. Thanks again for the advice- it's good hearing it firsthand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago