Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM

35 posts, read 285,548 times

Advertisements

I work in the Entertainment industry in Los Angeles but will soon be relocating to Chicago. How's the entertainment industry there (i.e, large/ small, type, ease/ difficulty of getting a job, agencies or websites specializing in entertainment jobs, etc.). I'm wondering if it's anything like LA, where the community is so closed and exclusive that it is nearly impossible (notice I said "nearly") to break in unless you know someone, are willing to grovel in the most menial fashion to "pay your dues", or otherwise belong to a special class of newcomers with "something they want." I've been there, done most of that and am wondering if I'll have to start over...

Your insights will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2 View Post
I work in the Entertainment industry in Los Angeles but will soon be relocating to Chicago. How's the entertainment industry there (i.e, large/ small, type, ease/ difficulty of getting a job, agencies or websites specializing in entertainment jobs, etc.). I'm wondering if it's anything like LA, where the community is so closed and exclusive that it is nearly impossible (notice I said "nearly") to break in unless you know someone, are willing to grovel in the most menial fashion to "pay your dues", or otherwise belong to a special class of newcomers with "something they want." I've been there, done most of that and am wondering if I'll have to start over...

Your insights will be greatly appreciated!
To really get inside scoop on radio, TV or film in Chicago, I would advise you to email any of the RTF faculty at Northwestern University. They know the local scene better than anybody. You can find them at:
School of Communication at Northwestern University :: Radio/Television/Film :: Radio/Television/Film

Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks -- I'll be sure to check them out!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 138,436 times
Default CaliGirl2

I work in the entertainment industry as well. I just moved from LA to Florida because I found it nearly impossible to find work and I had help. I was working as a PA in NY for five years on and off and did some background work to gain experience. I was then introduced to an executive producers who knew some I knew and offered to help me find work out there, I lived there for four years. It didn’t work out. The Producer didn’t do much to help me and I got stuck taking a administrative job to make ends meat as I looked for work on my own. But I had to move here for a bit after exhausting my finances. However I want to leave, not much work here in Fl for PA’s and I have pretty much decided on Chicago too and would like to know if you find out anything about the area and our field could you let me know. Thanks

PS the only thing I’ve heard was that it was competitive, but its competitive anywhere.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Hi Husky:

I feel your pain, really! Once we move and I get some insight re: the local scene I'll be glad to share. In the meantime, have you looked at entertainmentcareers.net?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Default CaliGirl2

Hey thanks. It's hard out there. But most careers are as well. I don't think I've tried that one. I did sign up on varietycareers.com, mandy.com, and monster.com you should try those too they are free. I found some that aren't free if you want there website let me know. I try the one you suggested. If I get any information I'll let you know about it too.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Pay sites

Please let me know which paysites there are for entertainment. I figure it can't hurt!

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Default CaliGirl2- pay sites rely

filmstaff.com is one, entertainmentcareers.net is another, and
4entertainmentjobs.com is the last I have on this computer. I will get back to you I have a few more on my other computer, I think. I'm not sure if all of these charge a fee but two at least do.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Chicago

I though of another question, How good are they in Chicago at clearing the streets after it snows?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,541 times
expressways and major arteries--very good overall. We had a mayor that didn't do well at this and lost the election. that won't happen again.

Local streets take a bit longer.

Also depends on the snow, a 4 incher won't be bad at all. The occasional 8-12 inch big storms slow everything down. But the city never really gets paralyzed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago