Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM

32 posts, read 65,763 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would dearly love some advice from the knowledgeable members on this forum.

I am a 31-year old Asian-Indian professional and will be moving to Chicago in June this year. I am married but don't have any kids yet, nor planning to have any in the near future. My office is on North Wacker Drive, but I will be mostly flying out to client locations. I drive an old Toyota.

I would like to live in a neighborhood with the following characteristics:

1. I don't need to pay more than $1200 for a 1-bedroom apartment.
2. The apartment building has a gym.
3. I don't need to pay exorbitantly to park my car.
4. Safety is a prime concern.
5. Several members of the Asian-Indian community are present.
6. Where it's not too loud, nor too quiet.
7. Where public transportation is not too far or hard to find.
8. A few good restaurants and cultural hangouts are desirable.

I have heard about Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Bucktown and Lakeview? Which of these is the best for me? Have I missed out on anything?

I look forward to your valuable advice.

Thanks,
Sourya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Wicker Park could satisfy all of these EXCEPT #5.

You're going to have a hard time finding someplace with all those requirements, you're going to have to be flexible somewhere.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM

439 posts, read 954,297 times
The largest Indian neighborhood in Chicago is West Ridge, but besides having a large Indian population doesn't meet most of your other requirements.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Do you think you'll be mostly flying out of O'Hare? If so, staying along the blue line would be a big help to you.

Wicker Park not only won't really work with #5, but I kind of doubt you'll find a building with a gym either. WP is mostly small walk-up buildings.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I think you may need to drop the gym requirement in order for this to be feasible. From what I've seen, it's mostly the highrises that offer gyms and those are mostly along the lakefront, or in/around downtown.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I kind of doubt you'll find a building with a gym either. WP is mostly small walk-up buildings.
This is true, but there are many workout facilities, you may be able to live, literally, next door to one, so, yea, you'll have to go outside, but only for a second or two.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
^Agreed.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM

32 posts, read 65,763 times
Default Thank you for your replies

Thank you everyone for pitching in with advice.

Safety is my prime concern as I will be away from home most weeks, leaving the wife at home; I'm not too hung up on the Asian-Indian community thing. If it happens it's great, but I can live without it.

I'm also OK with having a gym nearby instead of outside the building.

As for flying out of Chicago, I will be mostly flying to New York, and sometimes, other major financial centers in the Midwest and Eastern seaboard. Will that be O'Hare or Chicago? I'm not sure, but my firm may be paying for cabs. However, I would want to keep the option of public transport open.

How much does parking on the road cost?

I am visiting Chicago next week and want to look around some of the neighborhoods. Which ones would you suggest? I will be staying at the Days Inn on W Diversey Parkway, IL 60614. How should I move around as I'm not bringing my car?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Walk, take the subway ( CTA), and/or take cabs; cabs are fairly cheap in Chicago, esp when compared to the East Coast..

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souryab View Post
Thank you everyone for pitching in with advice.

Safety is my prime concern as I will be away from home most weeks, leaving the wife at home; I'm not too hung up on the Asian-Indian community thing. If it happens it's great, but I can live without it.

I'm also OK with having a gym nearby instead of outside the building.

As for flying out of Chicago, I will be mostly flying to New York, and sometimes, other major financial centers in the Midwest and Eastern seaboard. Will that be O'Hare or Chicago? I'm not sure, but my firm may be paying for cabs. However, I would want to keep the option of public transport open.

How much does parking on the road cost?

I am visiting Chicago next week and want to look around some of the neighborhoods. Which ones would you suggest? I will be staying at the Days Inn on W Diversey Parkway, IL 60614. How should I move around as I'm not bringing my car?

Thanks.
The Days Inn on Diversey is a perfect location to stay during your neighborhood search. As you may be aware, Diversey is basically the boundary between Lakeview and Lincoln Park. Make note that we have the neighborhood called Lincoln Park and also an actual public park by the same name. The public park is miles long and runs along the lakefront. The neighborhood by the same name does border one section of the park.

There is a Bally's Gym on an upper floor of the Century Shopping Centre at 2800 N Clark. Also, note the Lakeview Athletic Club at 3212 N Broadway and the Fitness Formula at 3657 N Pine Grove (2 short blocks north of Addison). If you live close to any of these locations you could easily walk to the gym.

You will note there is a Trader Joe's on Diversey across from your hotel. A Whole Foods is located on North Halsted just 1/2 block north of Addison and a Jewel and Treasure Island (both large supermarkets) at 3470 and 3500 N Broadway. The Whole Foods, Jewel, and Treasure Island are all great stores and if you live close to all 3 it will be a great convenience (they are within a few blocks of each other).

This will give you some basic information about the Lakeview area where you are staying.

As for your question re airports, Southwest Airlines has many nonstops daily from Midway to NYC and United/American have nonstops from O'Hare to NYC. You will have a choice of airports.

Parking on most side streets only requires a sticker for your car. Just a small fee for this. If parking on major streets during certain hours there are meters.

good luck with your move

Last edited by soulful; 03-07-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago