Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post

In terms of uptown, I don't understand why yuppies (or anybody) with alot of money would move there in the rougher areas, and then complain. someone brought up a black person moving into white neighborhood as an arguement, sure guess that makes sense, but at least in those times there were benefits to living in an upscale white neighborhoods, like better amenities and lifestyle. im talking about nowadays tho, what is the benefit if u have money, moving into rough parts of a neighborhood like uptown, that's dirtier, more dangerous and weird (all those mental patients there), as oppossed if u were to live in buena park or lakeview or even lincoln park instead? Why would u do that, and then complain about it? I'm not even trying to be offensive, it just really makes absolute 0 sense to me whatsoever. All it does is make the poorer people from the area angry n cause the prices everywhere to go up, which then is sparking more hate related crime. I've seen it here in humbolt park. I understand about wanting ur neighborhood to be safer i guess then, when u do that for whatever reason, but protesting like a bunch of hippies isn't goin to do nothin but make u look like whiners. if u want a neighborhood to change donate money to charities, contribute to a youth team sponsorship, do something for the children that involves eduction or anything to actually benefit the people living there as well as urselves, be creative. sitting around and whining and forcing people to either get rich or ditch isn't going to do anything. do something that'll make the neighborhood safer, and ur neighbors happy, instead of creating even stronger barriers that already exist in this city, do something to create a sense of community. it may sound like a dream, but the direction people are going in as of now is doing nothing.
Because for the most part the "rough" areas of Uptown are literally individual streets, or even just specific blocks of those streets. The majority of the area, especially the residential streets, are pretty nice and kept well.

You can really track the trouble in Uptown to fairly specific buildings, not wide swaths of the neighborhood. People in these slums buildings that are falling apart roam the neighborhood and cause problems.

Honestly if you could tackle the problems in 20 of the worst buildings, I would imagine a great deal of the problem would almost melt away. At least the solid foothold of gangs in the area would become unstable. This is why people roll their eyes at bringing in more section 8 and public housing. They're good to have for people in need, but it just leads to huge problems when you pile it all right on top of each other. Then throw in a few homeless shelters, 5 SRO's, 10 buildings set aside for people with drug addictions and mental illness and you have a perfect crap storm. They moved one of the Salvation Army ( I think that's what it was) shelters a few months ago and within days the entire area was a world different.

It's not that anyone is against public services or helping the needy, it's that Shiller wants to create a mountain of it in an already questionable situation, then not put in controls or consequences for people when they run wild.

Problem with drug addictions in the area?? Here, lets open 3 more methadone clinics on Broadway and dance around in a circle singing!

Last edited by Chicago60614; 08-25-2009 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 PM

760 posts, read 1,266,301 times
The youtuber of the first video put another video showing an open air drug deal, apparently crack, which appears to be on the same exact corner

YouTube

Old 08-28-2009, 12:07 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Thanks JoeyPants. Now I know who to talk to to get msyelf some fine crack. And it's conveniently just over a half mile from my house!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,888,388 times
There's this guy named Adam who lives in the Tenderloin district in San Francisco. He put up a live webcam outside his window to document the crime in his neighborhood. Now he's got another project called ourblock.tv which apparently allows others to easily do the same thing for their neighborhood. It seems like a worthwhile project to document crime and put pressure on politicians and police to take action.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM

And it continues... Shouldn't a lot of these guys be in jail already? Nice police work, 23.

Uptown Update: Gang Fight Caught On Video At Sheridan & Lakeside

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Wow. If I was driving one of those cars and saw what happened and one of those turds ran in front of my car I would have hit him.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,888,388 times
So are these fights typical, and only now are getting caught on video?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
So are these fights typical, and only now are getting caught on video?
They have just flared up this past Spring/Summer for some reason. I'm around the neighborhood a lot these days, and I am constantly seeing squad cars heading north with their lights on in a big hurry. Lately I see this multiple times a day.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Most of the time I hear sirens in my area they travel north into the Uptown neighborhoods...

Like last night at about 1:30am or something I think I heard 3-4 squads going towards Uptown.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Speaking of that, I've heard just a ton of sirens over the last hour or so. The ones I'm hearing now sound like fire trucks, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago