Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 AM

400 posts, read 952,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
It was set on the counter top near the debit machine and I turned around for literally 2 seconds to grab the grocery bags and the people behind me in line took it. Apparently the cashier didn't see it (if she did, she ignored it).

It took me about 10 seconds to realize my wallet was stolen and that it was the teenagers behind me that stole it...as I realized this the teenagers were literally just walking out the door. I understand I shouldn't have set it down, even for a second, but Target did absolutely nothing to assist me afterwards.

I was reading Uptown Update's blog right before I left too. I was wary, but went anyway and have now learned my lesson.

What was the lesson?
My mom one time almost had her purse stolen at
the Dominics at Howard one time. Now if she goes there
she is just more careful. Sure avoiding it is one solution.
But maybe just being even more wary is too.
Well i am sorry you had your wallet stolen, but
with those type of youth you have to have spidey sense.
There is just no way in hell I would set my wallet down anywhere
with those guys around and no way I would even allow myself
to be alone near them if at all possible. That is just not being careful.
I wouldve asked for help with the bags/groceries.
also I have no fear of "racism" being called out in avoiding thugs of any certain background.

As a sidenote to other posts Thorek is in Uptown, although just barely
as it is north of Irving Park, and yes there is a detox unit from hell there
and a psych unit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
...As a sidenote to other posts Thorek is in Uptown, although just barely
as it is north of Irving Park, and yes there is a detox unit from hell there
and a psych unit too.
Yes. That affects East Lakeview as well as Buena Park and Uptown.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
So I decided to give the new Wilson Yard Target a try today. I've lived here for a few months and have made a conscious effort not to go north of Montrose. I thought I might give it a go since I love Target.

Well, not anymore... I got my wallet stolen right inside the store and they didn't do a thing about it. I had to call 911 myself and it took the cops a half hour to arrive.

Why do people consistently live up to the stereotype? In all honesty, I might as well have expected it.
Wow the Target opened? The last time I was over there (early spring) it looked like the opening was still WAY in the future.

Sorry to hear about your wallet.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
My grandma got mugged in Lake Forest about ten years ago. That stuff can happen anywhere, but yes, you need to be careful in a neighborhood like Uptown.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,130,114 times
I used to mange one of the shelters in Uptown. I got fired on 6/26. One of the crazies walked in and took a swing and I defended myself.

I hate loosing my income but I don't miss Uptown at all. That corner of Sheridan and Lawrence. I hated walking past that corner.

I will not miss that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago