Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,556 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll be moving back to the Chicago area and was looking into rentals in the South Loop. My biggest concern is proximity to the University of Chicago Hospital system. The range I'm looking in is between $1500-$2000 per month.

I'd prefer something new(er) and with garage parking.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 AM

258 posts, read 757,371 times
AMLI 900, Burnham Pointe, or Astoria Tower might be good choices. If you have a few days to look around, I think you can probably get a better deal from an investor owner in one of the new condo towers, or in one of the older buildings such as the Dearborn Park highrises.

U of C Hospitals has an express bus that runs from Union Station and Roosevelt CTA station straight to Billings, if the schedule fits you. Otherwise, it's 18 minutes via Lake Shore Drive.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 AM

72 posts, read 142,942 times
Check out the Roosevelt Collection; walking distance from the Roosevelt reed line stop.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,665,029 times
Your best deal will likely be renting a condo from an owner who wants to rent. There are many condos for rent down there (including the one I lived in for three years and just moved out of).

Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 44,935 times
How do you find an owner who's renting out their condo?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM

126 posts, read 206,750 times
Hey Irishtom- Have they found a new renter? If not, can they wait until June? If so, how much was the rent, do they allow pets, and are parking/utilities included?

Can you tell I'm considering South Loop as a place to live?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,274 times
First of all, are you talking about University of Chicago near 55th and Lake Shore Drive or Medical Campus (UIC, Rush) near Ashland and 290? Either way, another great option is The LEX that just opened up for Rentals this week.. South Michigan and Cermak.... Chicago Apartment Rentals | The Lex | South Loop Chicago Apartments

Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 31,313 times
There is a posting on Craig's List for a unit on 11th and Prairie- being advertised by a Steve Atkins.

He wants you to do a credit check before even being able to VIEW the property.

Is is possible that he can rent out a 2 bed 2 bath fully furnished apartment for $750 per month- which is one block down and one block over from the LEX building where similar units are going for $2,100 plus or even more?

Personally it seems shady to me...

This is a response that he sent my friend who was inquiring:

The unit you are interested in IS available. If you are still interested in the 2 Br / 2 Ba Fully Furnished unit for $750/month on 11 S Prairie St, we now need you to run a credit check and fill out an application. Both of which will be of no charge to you.

Here is a free credit report check we provide to all potential tenants: http://bit.ly/chicagoqualityproperties (broken link)

The credit report is free of charge to you and by filling it out there is no other application fee.

The application questions are:
1. Last Name
2. First Name
3. Current Address
4. Pets
5. Children
6. Occupation
7. Credit Score (sent to us from the link provided above)

If you can email us back with the answers after you have ran your credit report, we can then meet for a walk through.

There are a few other people asking about this property as well so it would be good to get the application in as soon as possible.

And if you are asking about the location here is a link to google maps with the address searched already: Location

Chicago Quality Properties

chicagoqualityproperties@gmail.com

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,297,142 times
Right, so I'm going to call MAJOR shenanigans on any ad that claims to be renting out a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment for $750/month. You couldn't rent something like that in many of the worst areas of Chicago.

And there's no application fee or fee for a credit report?

AND you have to turn in a credit report before seeing the place?

AND they give you some sketchy link to click on to do this credit report?

Run, don't walk away from this so-called deal. It screams "scam" so loudly that I can barely hear the TV next to me. If you're going to fall for this, you might as well give them your bank account number and pin number as well.

Last edited by eevee; 03-13-2012 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,577,898 times
Here's a new place that is opening soon.

the LEX targets early April rentals in Chicago’s South Loop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago