U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,412,542 times

Advertisements

I just got back from the Florida Keys & Ft. Lauderdale and it feels warmer here than down there. And I come back to budding trees. As Derrick Rose would say, "crazy".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM

319 posts, read 575,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
It's great to get early summer in Chicago, I mean, wow, I can eat outside on the patio and everything, BUT... I can't escape the fact that SOMETHING is seriously wrong about back-to-back 86 degree days in Chicago in March. This is so massively abnormal that I watch the news often hoping that this bizarre weather will get some attention, I even tweeted at Skilling my concerns (I got no reply)... they go on the air night after night and basically say "unseasonably warm weather continues"... NO! F*chkead, this is some crazy ass history making s&it right here! Can we recognize that, please! Say something besides "unseasonably warm continues!"
There is a reason he's not responding to you. It's because you are being kinda wacky. Here's the major points of the following link:

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Tornadoes, extreme flooding, unprecedented heat expected in U.S. today : Weather Underground

From Dr. Jeff Masters:

Why the record early-season warmth?

1) La Niña. The on-going La Niña event in the Eastern Pacific has weakened considerably over the past month, but ocean temperatures there are still cool enough to affect the jet stream pattern, favoring high pressure and warm temperatures over the Eastern U.S., and low pressure and cold temperatures over the Western U.S.

2) The Madden-Julian Oscillation( MJO). The MJO is a 2-month cycle of thunderstorm activity that travels west to east along the Equator. The MJO is currently in phase with La Niña, and is helping create warmer temperatures over the Eastern U.S.

3) The North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO.) The NAO is in its positive phase, which means the difference in pressure between the Icelandic Low and the Azores High is stronger than usual. This tends to increase the jet stream winds and keeps the jet from sagging southwards over the Eastern U.S.
End Quote.

There is a point made in the blog about someone's unpublished research correlating events like this to global warming. I wouldn't doubt that too much, either, but the facts remain that 3 major climatological impacts are the cause of the unusually warm weather. I'm sure Skilling couldn't fit all of the above in a tweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It will hit 75 today in Boston, and possibly 85 tomorrow, and then cool off into the 50s for the weekend...

This is too much, too soon, and just a reminder of worse days to come in July and August; I want my air conditioner to gather a little more dust until I need to use it...
Climate Prediction Center - seasonal Outlook

^^^ J-J-A: You in Mass or Vt might get a slightly warmer summer 33% chance, we look to have a normal summer here in Chicago. The climate prediction center is generally pretty accurate. I wouldn't fire up the AC yet out in your area. Night temps are still nice and comfortable...

Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,451,661 times
I guess, I am the only one loving this weather for the most part. Even though I'm from here, I've never liked winter, so a week in March without having the heat on or having to wear a jacket is great. I loved kicking through the fallen petals from a magnolia tree in bloom down the street this morning.

No more snow or freezing temps. I don't want to see all this stuff that's already in bloom in peril because of cold & snow.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM

25,906 posts, read 41,020,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
It is insane.

If this is winter.... what will summer be like?
I know, I'm worried too. This is how warm it should be at the end of spring.

Quote:
During Fall of 2011, the coming winter was predicted to be the coldest ever with more than average the amount of storms... I remember this being repeated and I'd say "they can't tell you what's going to happen 2-3 months away". And that's true. Why they try to predict for months out, I don't understand.
I try to keep this in mind too.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,910,764 times
This (http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2012/03/chicago--warmer-than-the-tropics-this-afternoon.html - broken link) is an interesting article about yesterday's highs:

Quote:
Chicago's 4PM reading of 85F degrees topped temperatures in many tropical and desert locations such as Cancun, Mexico (82F), Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (68F), Havana, Cuba (84F), George Town, Bahamas (79F), Miami Beach, Florida (78F) and Phoenix, Arizona (62F).
A couple of freak days of warm weather happen every now and then, but the length of these record breaking temps is really unusual. I averaged out the daily highs for March so far this year, and it's been an average of 64 degrees - 17 degrees above the normal March average. That puts us in the same range as cities like Atlanta, Memphis, and Charlotte. This is even a conservative estimate, since we're bound to get plenty of other warm days between now and the end of the month, pushing the average even higher.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,451,661 times
A friend of mine moved from here to Honolulu three years ago. A few days ago, she sent me a text about the weather here, saying that we've been warmer than them. The La Nina that brought the warmth here, and the cold to the west coast has been affecting Hawaii similarly to the west coast. She said it's been very rainy, with highs struggling to reach the low 70's. Still, it's Hawaii. I truly can't feel sorry for her!

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 03-21-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,459,049 times
Chicago broke the all time record for most '80s in April…in March.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,879,393 times
Quote:
It's great to get early summer in Chicago, I mean, wow, I can eat outside on the patio and everything, BUT... I can't escape the fact that SOMETHING is seriously wrong about back-to-back 86 degree days in Chicago in March. This is so massively abnormal that I watch the news often hoping that this bizarre weather will get some attention, I even tweeted at Skilling my concerns (I got no reply)... they go on the air night after night and basically say "unseasonably warm weather continues"... NO! F*chkead, this is some crazy ass history making s&it right here! Can we recognize that, please! Say something besides "unseasonably warm continues!"
This is all buildup for whatever it is that's supposed to happen on
December 21, 2012.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,879,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I just got back from the Florida Keys & Ft. Lauderdale and it feels warmer here than down there. And I come back to budding trees. As Derrick Rose would say, "crazy".
It is warmer here than down there. For the past two days in a row at least, Chicago was the hotspot for the entire nation.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,910,764 times
Just for the hell of it I added up the lows for the month and got an average of 44 degrees - that's just a few degrees what our average HIGH is for March, and 15 degrees above the average historical low. We could possibly end the month with the average low for March 2012 being above the historical average high for March!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago