Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 AM

344 posts, read 841,710 times

Advertisements

of use to live in philly and at some point, if not currently, lived in chicago a while?
before i ask my questions, am hoping someone here understands my point of reference
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
of use to live in philly and at some point, if not currently, lived in chicago a while?
before i ask my questions, am hoping someone here understands my point of reference
thanks
Born and raised in West Philly, left for college at 17.
Lived in Chicago/Oak Park for 13 years.

What's the question?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Born and raised in West Philly, left for college at 17.
Lived in Chicago/Oak Park for 13 years.

What's the question?

good good good
i grew up in wynnefield and on the main line
i also spent a good bit of time in cali
i am looking for a feel good area in or around chicago to live. something that embraces the Creative Class, as its referred to by richard florida
a place that i can go out at night with my girl and feel relatively safe
i wish i could compare this to something in philly, but then everything has changed so much in philly since the 80's....am sooo done with it
oh yeah...you know how, nowadays, everyone in philly is sooo concerned with that YOU have good going on for you and they just hate?? and if you say go to boston or parts of cali, people dont even notice you (preferred). well, i want it so people arent concerned about how many cars are in my back yard (figuratively speaking) or if i am in an interracial relationship or not. or maybe in that sense, is chicago another philly...people so needy and not getting their needs met so bad, that they have to induce you getting your needs met less...major lower class stuff
i emphasize that aspect b/c it would be a total deal breaker

also, how is chicago on people having a strong sense of self?
i.e. philly, people know who they are, no matter who they are
same with boston
indianapolis and baltimore, not so much

ideally i want to live in a place whereas, to buy original art, or to have vietnamese or indian for dinner, does not mean you are trying to prove something nor is considered "culture" [rolls eyes], but rather its just some normal **** that people think nothing of
thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Quote:
...ideally i want to live in a place whereas, to buy original art, or to have vietnamese or indian for dinner, does not mean you are trying to prove something nor is considered "culture" [rolls eyes], but rather its just some normal **** that people think nothing of
thanks
Then Chicago is perfect for you.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
Quote:
just some normal **** that people think nothing of
thanks
No one will care.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Chicago isn't like some other popular American cities where it's a contest to be as liberal/cultured/cool/weird as possible. There are plenty of opportunities to live like that, but you won't earn brownie points with most people for it. There is a segment of the population that would find it to be elitist, but most people don't care.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM

thanks guys. this is refreshing to know. i was hoping that what i have come to expect on the east coast can be left there

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Dude, sorry it took me so long to reply. I was down with the flu for a couple days.

Philly is a lot more "insular" (provincial?) than some other major cities, such as Chicago. I blame this on Philly really missing out on growth from the 70s thru the 90s. While other cities were growing an expanding and attracting outsiders, Philly was shrinking and making no overtures to attract outsiders. Only recently is Philly starting to become an attractive place for people who are not from Philly to move to.

Whatever you do in Chicago, a thousand other people have done it before you, and everyone has seen it already. You will be able to blend in with no problem. No one will be up in your business.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM

JacksonPanther
you get it! thank goodness for your words which have put my concerns to rest. its kinda my worst nightmare to re-experience. am sure you can imagine. and its funny, for in the last 8 years, all of these people who come to university city from bumbkefvck are like "i LOVE philly"
cannot say ANYTHING bad about philly to those people lol
so tru
but again, thanks!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
and its funny, for in the last 8 years, all of these people who come to university city from bumbkefvck are like "i LOVE philly"
cannot say ANYTHING bad about philly to those people lol
I no longer live in Philly, but I am in town right now. Just got back from dinner and drinks in Manayunk. Sat outside people watching. For almost 2 hours I swear I saw maybe 5 people who were in their 40s or older. Everyone else was young. These did not appear to be students - they looked to be getting off from work, working out, jogging, biking, headed to yoga class (carrying their mats). You wouldn't think twice about this in Chicago, but in Philly, this was an eye-opening experience for me, someone who lived thru the decline years as Philly shrank from 2.2M to 1.7M.

Maybe the city of Philadelphia really is on the way back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago