Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Interesting that most of my friends here are complaining how hot it is outside yesterday. They're exaggerating it tho.
I live all my life in Malaysia before moving here, and this weather is cooler than our coolest day.
Chicago in March might peak 70ies from time to time and drop at night. This is like June weather!

March is usually the time when you move from a coat to a heavy jacket. This is shorts weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Oh pls!
And I just found out we do not have AC in the house I'm staying now. Are AC bills here expensive?
They can be but AC here is of limited use. Unless we get a very bad summer, things don't usually go above 83 till may at the earliest and even then that tends to be an odd ball day or week.

90ies-100 pretty much July only. Shade and opening windows does a lot(plus people often just have window units to cool just the bed room).

You really usually only need AC from May till August and usually not that often before June.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM

319 posts, read 604,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
During Fall of 2011, the coming winter was predicted to be the coldest ever with more than average the amount of storms... I remember this being repeated and I'd say "they can't tell you what's going to happen 2-3 months away". And that's true. Why they try to predict for months out, I don't understand.
First off, "they" predicted the coming winter was Accuweather. I can't imagine why anyone would get all of this fun weather info filtered by amateurs. Just do it yourself on the link below.

Climate Prediction Center

When I heard about the Accuweather prediction I immediately checked the CPC website above. Showed above average temps for the D-J-F period progged to be above average. I told people I worked with to ignore the "snowmageddon" prediction because it simply wasn't likely, and that the source information was flawed. Though, I didn't expect the above average temps over the winter to be *that* above average.

Long term climate prediction is relevant for a variety of reasons. One of which, is using and developing new model software for long term trends for Hurricane prediction. All sorts of social and financial impacts can be projected through knowing how and when weather can impact us. Right now for severe storms, they project out to day 8. Needless to say it's harder to say a tornado is going to be near Peoria in 4 days, but they have gotten much better at it. The text products included are also very nice once you get used to the forecaster lingo.

Storm Prediction Center Forecast Products

For right now, A-M-J is right on the borderline of us having higher than average temps. For J-J-A it looks like we won't be above average in temps, so you can let all the hysterical OMG it's going to be 100 everyday in Summer people feel a little better. Interestingly enough, the next winter forecast, at least for N-D-J is also above average in temp. Perhaps Accuweather will start checking the NOAA products this year.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM

575 posts, read 615,735 times
in a normal year we would still be expecting at least one more snow fall so we are not out of the woods yet; this weather is great though, best winter weather that I can remember

Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Yeah the winter was nice and cool enjoyed
The 80 degree mark is a bit off base

There is nothing normal about turning your air cond on in the month of March!

Although I enjoy the warm weather I loathe the hot summer coming up and this is way to much of a reminder of whats to come.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Yeah the winter was nice and cool enjoyed
The 80 degree mark is a bit off base

There is nothing normal about turning your air cond on in the month of March!

Although I enjoy the warm weather I loathe the hot summer coming up and this is way to much of a reminder of whats to come.
Way off base, it is just ridiculous. Even where I live it is way too early. I am in Chicago today and it feels like mid Summer.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Way off base, it is just ridiculous. Even where I live it is way too early. I am in Chicago today and it feels like mid Summer.

It shouldn't be this warm in Chicago at this time at all. It can still snow all the way till April this is not normal.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM

191 posts, read 361,029 times
This early warm weather has me realizing I need to do some serious summer clothes shopping...

-sighs-

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM

207 posts, read 707,223 times
Too soon. I still wanted a cool mild temps, somewhere 40s - 50s.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I don't like this sudden warm weather; I'd rather have a gradual warmup from 45F to 65F daily temps. At least we won't have a heating bill, but if it gets in the 80's I'm tempted to use A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago