U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,191 times

Advertisements

I currently stay in suburbs and commute by metra to downtown. Needless to say, the commute is long. I work at Northwestern- chicago campus. I am looking for a safe neighborhood in or near downtown from where I can commute to work either by train or drive. What are safe areas of downtown to find apartments? I also need parking space and don't mind if its little far from downtown.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 PM

2,687 posts, read 3,867,091 times
Here's a recent discussion of this topic.

Suggestions on neighborhoods to live in close to Northwestern?

Depends on a few things.... your budget, desired commute time, whether you want to pay for parking at Northwestern too, and what you mean by "downtown"...

If you actually want to be "downtown" which to me means in the loop and near surrounds.... well, as discussed try looking right nearby in walking distance in Streeterville or even just North in Gold Coast. Straight West in River North or to Ukranian Village is good but you would take a bus to get to work or drive. If you want to go North (train, bus or drive), there are many options but I would hesitate to list until you clarify your budget, what you mean by "downtown", and what sort of commute time you want.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,191 times
Thanks for your reply. Since I recently moved to Illinois from Missouri and have always commuted from NW suburb , I don't know much about downtown. My budget is about 1200 for a 2 bedroom apt. Most of the people I know live in presidential tower, but I know parking is very expensive there. I can get a parking pass for Northwestern, which isn't very expensive. My priorities for apartment are -
1. Safe neighborhood
2. Parking space
3. Be close to the city - like restaurants, shops etc.
Your advice is appreciated

Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 3,867,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mina2012 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Since I recently moved to Illinois from Missouri and have always commuted from NW suburb , I don't know much about downtown. My budget is about 1200 for a 2 bedroom apt. Most of the people I know live in presidential tower, but I know parking is very expensive there. I can get a parking pass for Northwestern, which isn't very expensive. My priorities for apartment are -
1. Safe neighborhood
2. Parking space
3. Be close to the city - like restaurants, shops etc.
Your advice is appreciated

That's helpful. Thanks.

I'm sensing that you may not be that city-savvy, or comfortable living right downtown. Also, $1200 wont get you 2 bedroom right downtown either (ie. in walking distance) anyway - it is hard to find a 1 bedroom that price downtown (especially with parking). So I suspect you want to go North. I will let others describe those neighborhoods.

If you are commuting during typical rush hours, then driving is not fun going North, but do-able. But if you are working long hospital hours off rush hour, driving is ok. Most people try to find something along the red line subway, or along one of the bus routes. For example, Lincoln Park and Lakeview and further North. The further North, the longer commute but the cheaper price. Finding a 2 bedroom with convenient parking is sometimes a challenge so be sure to carefully review parking options.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,126,634 times
$1200 for a 2 bedroom and safe is going to be tough. The only thing that I can think of possibly Edgewater which has the 147 bus that expresses down to the Magnificent Mile. Parking is cheaper there also. Other than this, I think it is going to be very tough. 1 bedrooms are easier to come by in Lakeview along the lake. Still, parking will probably be extra - maybe $150/month. South Loop is out of your dollar range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: