Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times

Advertisements

Well, there are more gang members in Chicago than NYC and LA combined, but a large majority of people here aren't directly affected by their presence, either because of location, or because of the different circles they run in.

With the decentralization in gang structures due to the tearing down of the projects, gangs have spit into many more factions, and these factions are being run by younger and younger "leaders" with no respect for the original structures, traditions and laws, with the only motivation being money. Until the problems with poverty are realistically addressed, plenty more young people will turn to gang life by the draw of money and the delusional sense of glamour. Police have a truly tough job in addressing the current changes in gang structures and communication, but at least they are aware of it, and are attempting to address it. There also needs to be cultural changes within communities that have major gang problems (in addition to jobs and financial prospects)... and organizations like Ceasefire are very welcomed additions to fighting this trend and culture. IMO, this is the type of thing that really needs to be addressed from a grassroots level, in addition to the justice system. Many of these gang members don't care about going to prison (see it as "college"), so constantly throwing them in jail isn't going to solve the problem, and isn't going to deter prospects from joining. People in these areas need to know that there are other possible paths, and opportunities that are rewarded with hard work.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Well, a Chicago Officer was just shot in the chest. His condition is not known yet. I pray it hit his vest and may the offender receive just punishment and rot in hell.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Well, a Chicago Officer was just shot in the chest. His condition is not known yet. I pray it hit his vest and may the offender receive just punishment and rot in hell.
It's a war zone out there that many of use don't experience, and it seems like a never ending battle with no winners. I hope the officer pulls through.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
41 people shot in the city over the last weekend (CNN) is just crazy though. I'm sure there are areas that are safe as can be but just those statistics give pause to exploring the city as it should be able to be safely experienced.

I'm an urban junkie, and an architecture buff and still can't wait to discover Chicago as an adult- but I think I will definitely be more wary and constrain my exploring than in most cities when I finally go.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Should come as no surprise early heat wave , early violence.

Stay away from the spots provided on the map
Dont deal in drugs
Dont belong to a gang
Keep your sights out of blighted neighborhoods
Most of the crimes occur at night
To me the most disturbing fact is the innocent person who gets caught in the middle.

The little girl on the porch is a very sad story.

Top ranking officials have stated yesterday this gang activity did not occur overnight and it is not going to go away overnight.

Take away a few areas and you take away 95% of the murders.

The vast majority of Chicago is a very safe place.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The news is on right now and the police commissioner says virtually all the recent shootings were gang related....and the gang problem in chicago is worse than LA. Just sickening. I have stopped thinking the problem will be improved but still have to hope.
He didn't say it was worse - he said it was getting to that level.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
That little girl died because of her family's gang affiliation. I'm glad there were at least a few reporters that reported the truth about her family instead of sanitizing it. The child's blood is on the family's hands. But now you can expect at least another 5-10 shootings in retaliation because of it, and I'm sure more than a few innocent children hit. And so on and so on, the cycle will never be broken.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
41 people shot in the city over the last weekend (CNN) is just crazy though. I'm sure there are areas that are safe as can be but just those statistics give pause to exploring the city as it should be able to be safely experienced.

I'm an urban junkie, and an architecture buff and still can't wait to discover Chicago as an adult- but I think I will definitely be more wary and constrain my exploring than in most cities when I finally go.
99% of tourists are never going to venture into these gang infested areas of high violence. Hell, probably 2/3 of the city aren't going to venture into those areas either. Most of the dangerous areas are some of the least dense population and commercial wise in the city. Many people have left.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
That little girl died because of her family's gang affiliation. I'm glad there were at least a few reporters that reported the truth about her family instead of sanitizing it. The child's blood is on the family's hands. But now you can expect at least another 5-10 shootings in retaliation because of it, and I'm sure more than a few innocent children hit. And so on and so on, the cycle will never be broken.
So what's the answer?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
You have cities the size of L.A and NYC
Larger than Chicago and they have dealt with the gangs

Seems the Commissioner is the right guy for the job

There was a rash of violence but you still need to look at the overall murder rates and those are down not up.

For most people we do not understand why you have to kill people to make a point.

The news reports killings , murders , rampages everyday in every corner of this nation.

This is not isolated.

The media as usual will embelish the trajedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago