Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,104,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE TOWN View Post
So where is a safe place to live in chicago? Am coming from a small town and is moving there soon for a job with my family?
That's a whole nother discussion. The search function is your friend!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,104,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
There so many areas for me to chime in with with others above have mentioned, but I will later when I have the time. But I'll touch on one point quickly:

Legalizing drugs would have little impact on ending gangs. Gangs are all about territory, violence and money. Dope just happens to be one of the trades they deal with. You take that off the table they'll fill that void with other revenue streams. Burglaries would literally go through the roof and robberies will increase. If anything the dope trade is helping to keep them "pacified". With dope you are basically selling to "consumers". If one product is removed from the market they'll find an alternative market. More cars will be stolen, more guns traded, more homes burglarized for money and electronics, more people robbed of their cellphones, money and credit cards. If anything the dope keeps them contained in their boundaries. With this gone they'll have to venture out further and hit more middle and upper class areas to get their proceeds. Gangs will never compromise their economics. If anything, if dope is legalized it'll be taxed and marked up outrageously like cigarettes are. Cigs have a HUGE black market and thefts. Dope gets legalized, stores that sell it will be burglarized to resell on the street for cheaper too. Dope doesn't equal gangs, gangs equals them making money anyway they can.
I've always felt like one solution would be making it illegal to be a member of a street gang. I mean, it's illegal to be a member of al Qaeda, right? We can lock you up for being in a terrorist group, so why don't we treat street gangs like the terrorists that they are?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,663,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Man all these shootings in Chicago on the news every month, there has now been 237 shootings and 33 people dead in the past 4-5 months thats alot. This is crazy the city of Chicago or the Illinois State Government has got to do something. In Texas if this **** happened and they catch the gangs they give them the death penalty, Texas does not put up with that stuff. We need Illinois to be almost like Texas in these situations. Then gangs will be afraid to do shootings cause if they law enforcement will torture with the death penalty. Illnois needs a Republican Government.
Oh yeah, it's just that simple, and the Chicago police are nothing more than marshmallows of liberalism.

One look at the police blotter will show you guys who 'fell down the stairs' when they were giving the police a hard time.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...7.photogallery

I'd love to see some Texas Rangers come up the clean up the Chicago ghettos. It'd be very short order before they realized that they were outnumbered 3:1 and outgunned by serious firepower by people who aren't afraid of them.

Death penalty a deterrent? Are you on crack? They'll shoot at each other and cops in the street in broad daylight, and somehow a lethal injection is supposed to scare these guys?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,907,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The death penalty isn't a deterrent, it's a punishment.
And what does that accomplish? Plenty of accounts show that victims' families don't feel any better in the long run knowing that the murderer is dead. If it's not a deterrent and it does nothing to help the living, what purpose does it serve? Oh, it also costs more than life in prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
An eye for an eye.
That's the mentality gang members use. Oh, and radical Islamic fundamentalists, too. We can do better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
lol @ all the random conservatives coming in from outside the city to rant
Yep, seems to be a theme lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
and the Chicago police are nothing more than marshmallows of liberalism.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM

300 posts, read 634,482 times
Yeah like chicagobear just said, A white person will probably go to the neighborhoods were shooting is present

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,663,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Yep, seems to be a theme lately.
Hey, anytime anyone wants to come down with their quick-fix is more than welcome.
No one (except the gangbangers) are going to stop you.

I suspect once they see the reality of the situation and the resistance at them they'll be leaving town twice as fast as they came in.

But, it's always great to say it's someone else's problem, and someone should be doing something.

Any volunteers?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Hey, anytime anyone wants to come down with their quick-fix is more than welcome.
No one (except the gangbangers) are going to stop you.

I suspect once they see the reality of the situation and the resistance at them they'll be leaving town twice as fast as they came in.

But, it's always great to say it's someone else's problem, and someone should be doing something.

Any volunteers?
I see the troll is keeping busy - call the wah-mbulance, the whining is breaking the sound barrier!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,363,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspenc10 View Post
Where's your research or data to support this?
Like I stated; it is speculation. I dont remember where I saw/heard this. But, in Mexico, some of the drug gangs do this when they have found it hard to sell drugs...they need to raise cash somehow, so they turn to kidnapping in Mexico City.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Man all these shootings in Chicago on the news every month, there has now been 237 shootings and 33 people dead in the past 4-5 months thats alot. This is crazy the city of Chicago or the Illinois State Government has got to do something. In Texas if this **** happened and they catch the gangs they give them the death penalty, Texas does not put up with that stuff. We need Illinois to be almost like Texas in these situations. Then gangs will be afraid to do shootings cause if they law enforcement will torture with the death penalty. Illnois needs a Republican Government.
Man, I live in Dallas now, and I have never been happier, especially now that I know I left right as THE HELL has been unleashed upon the city. I thought I was going to miss Lakeview and Chicago, but now I do not.

Illinois needs to declare Martial Law and call in the National Guard to patrol the ENTIRE city and maybe even certain suburbs (as I know the gangs will flee to the burbs). They need to go into Baghdad-style urban warfare mode (with tanks and armored carriers, and soliders in full battle gear, machine guns, etc) and begin to round up the gangs and destroy the ones who try to fight back. Those who are arrested will be tried as urban terrorists and sent to Gitmo. During this warfare, the military could clear blocks of rotting infrastructure, making the way for new future urban re-development for the productive members of society. Then, while the military is destroying the gangs once and for all, the police could shift into patrol and defense mode in the Loop and other tourist areas. After about 2 to 3 years, the problem would be solved, and I think Chicago would experience a renaissance never before seen.

You think I am joking? I'm not. The PRIMARY ROLE OF GOVERNMENT is to protect you from violence and the aggressive nature of others. Its role is not to give you handouts; its to create a safe environment for society (which is nothing but an elaborate tribe of humans with really good tools) to exist in.

But unfortunately, Chicago's leaders are corrupt and they will never do that.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM

I traveled to the year 2013, and found a photo of Chicago. I even uploaded it to a website! This is the corner of State and Randolph after the "mobs" got done with it:

Matte painting masters @ Stipes’ Universe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago