Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 AM

234 posts, read 1,155,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_time_seattleite View Post
So, a nurse in Fontana, California makes $95,680 a year?
Your aunt, in California, makes $143,000 a year as a nurse?
You have seen ads for nurses in L.A. that pay $60 an hour, or $124,800 a year?

LOL. Forget going to medical school to get you MD to be a doctor. Just become a nurse and you’ll make more than the doctor; at least in California according to donjuan. LOL

donjuan, with all due respect, all of your posts in this thread are sheer lunacy.

Let’s see some of these ads. Or better yet any type of proof.

BACK TO REALITY, FOLKS.

Salary.com puts an RN with experience Fontana, California, as making about $55,000.

It also puts a RN with experience in a nice part of L.A. (right near UCLA) at about $64,000.

It puts the average RN with experience in Hanover Park, IL, which is a middle-class, far-west suburb of Chicago around $56,000

It puts the average RN with experience in Chicago, in the nice Lakeview neighborhood, at about $64,000.

I think you’ll find that jobs in Chicago pay well, especially nursing jobs. Often, they pay very similar to jobs in its coastal counterparts of L.A., Boston, S.F., D.C., and NYC, yet cost of living is much less.

One reason, among a few, is that Chicago competes directly with those markets for talent and has to pay similar wages to attract them to Chicago, or keep them there.

Best of luck, OBnursette.

By the way, how old are you donjuan?
lol dont matter how old i am. to be honest with you english is not one of my strong points. I'm currently in english right now while in college and dont feel the need to try to talk proper. cut me some slack i was raised in a poor enviroment so i talk with a slang. I speak the truth and my aunt is a nurse working at kiaser fontana and last year she made well over $100,000 and thats bcuz she done alot of overtimes/doubles/worked on holidays. holidays are double. so that means if u make $50 a hour, on a holiday you will make $100 a hour and after ur shift is done and u decide to work overtime u get that double plus time and a half. trust me i know what im talking about bcuz i seen her checks. her husband is a CT tech and he is always bringing home $5000+ pay checks, bcuz he likes working overtime or other weekends which u get time and a half for. just look this is a respiratory therapy ad in LA where they make $30-42 an hour. Find Jobs - Respiratory Therapy Jobs in Los Angeles, CA

while many places in southern cali pay RT $30 starting off. here is a Santa Rosa ad that pays RT $38-$40 an hour. >>> Intelistaf

remember there is many RT's making over $100,000+ a year also in cali. here is a nurse site which is in cali that can make $120,000 a year
Find Jobs - TRAVEL NURSE OPPORTUNITIES! Jobs in Sacramento, CA

i have no reason to lie to you. what would i get from lieing period?. I was raised in a enviroment that lead us to believe that working in a warehouse for $15 a hour is balling/living the good life. but after living with my aunt and she showing me how easy it is to go to college and get $5000 pay checks i really know whats the good life is now. what ur doing is readin the average pay. some people dont like working so much and would settle for less while others would work alot and get paid alot. i even seen her registry papers in the mail that said u can earn $570 in a day working at the registry for only 12 hours and get paid the same day. i think this is the site>>> Welcome to the California Board of Registered Nursing Web Site!
<<<<.. i seen her blow money all the time and just go to the registry and it back so easy. Salary.com gives u average pay so that dont mean anything plus certain hospitals pay more than others and i heard that kaiser permente pays the best. If you know any nurse living in Southern cali they will tell you the same. more facts

"The hiring boom and rising salaries are a turnaround for nurses," the article summarizes. The piece notes nurses in California earn between $60,000 and $100,000, but adds this is not the norm. In fact, ADVANCE's most recent salary survey, done in 2002, showed the average wage of the 8,000 nurses who responded was $52,500. from ADVANCE for Nurses |

seattleite you dont have to believe me but i know what im talking about so after im finish with microbiology and physiology then i should be in the nursing program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 AM

10 posts, read 72,003 times
Donjuan,

First, I never attacked your English or grammar, so don’t be offended. I was questioning your age because your posts sound like you are not old enough to be out in the real world and have a true understanding of what jobs really pay. Again, do not try to spin this in that I was attacking your English, because I was not.

Second, you have to understand that you are jumping all over OBnursette in your posts because, according to you, the pay where she is “sucks,” and the pay where you are is so much better. This is not true.

Here's one thing you say that is incorrect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
im just saying $23-25 a month for a nurse is really low.
Again, this is just not true, not in California, nor in Illinois.

What’s more is that the article you cite, and to repeat your citation, states “The hiring boom and rising salaries are a turnaround for nurses," the article summarizes. The piece notes nurses in California earn between $60,000 and $100,000, but adds this is not the norm. In fact, ADVANCE's most recent salary survey, done in 2002, showed the average wage of the 8,000 nurses who responded was $52,500.

You do not say this in your posts. In fact, in all of your posts, you make it sound like every nurse in California is making $100,000+ a year, when this is far from the truth. In fact, it turns out the salaries of nurses in Los Angeles and Chicago is very comparable.

Among other incorrect things you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
There's no question that California is the best state for nurses, IMO ... mostly because the nursing unions are very strong here. The pay is higher ... the average nurse here makes $75K here versus $60K nationwide.
This statement pretty much sums up my argument, and is why I jumped into to respond to what you were typing. Again, much of the information in your posts is either factually incorrect or an exaggeration. And you are attacking OBnursette while doing it.

I am not saying you are lying about your Aunt. I am just saying it is not the norm.

Please don’t try and spin this like I am attacking you, and that you did not do and say all the things in your posts that I mentioned, or that I am the bad guy for picking on you, etc.

Sorry, but you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Good luck with school.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:20 AM

234 posts, read 1,155,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long_time_seattleite View Post
Donjuan,

First, I never attacked your English or grammar, so don’t be offended. I was questioning your age because your posts sound like you are not old enough to be out in the real world and have a true understanding of what jobs really pay. Again, do not try to spin this in that I was attacking your English, because I was not.

Second, you have to understand that you are jumping all over OBnursette in your posts because, according to you, the pay where she is “sucks,” and the pay where you are is so much better. This is not true.

Here's one thing you say that is incorrect:

Again, this is just not true, not in California, nor in Illinois.

What’s more is that the article you cite, and to repeat your citation, states “The hiring boom and rising salaries are a turnaround for nurses," the article summarizes. The piece notes nurses in California earn between $60,000 and $100,000, but adds this is not the norm. In fact, ADVANCE's most recent salary survey, done in 2002, showed the average wage of the 8,000 nurses who responded was $52,500.

You do not say this in your posts. In fact, in all of your posts, you make it sound like every nurse in California is making $100,000+ a year, when this is far from the truth. In fact, it turns out the salaries of nurses in Los Angeles and Chicago is very comparable.

Among other incorrect things you say:

This statement pretty much sums up my argument, and is why I jumped into to respond to what you were typing. Again, much of the information in your posts is either factually incorrect or an exaggeration. And you are attacking OBnursette while doing it.

I am not saying you are lying about your Aunt. I am just saying it is not the norm.

Please don’t try and spin this like I am attacking you, and that you did not do and say all the things in your posts that I mentioned, or that I am the bad guy for picking on you, etc.

Sorry, but you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Good luck with school.

its ok im not offended in anyway. well the lady was saying $23-25 a hour which is really low for a nurse. i was only going by what i just read about the $23 a hour pay rate. well i am bad at english so i have a hard time getting my point across, but i tried to make it clear by saying alot of them will work overtime/doubles and on holidays. oh and some of that other stuff i got from another site like the nurse average $75,000. thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,242 times
Default Re:Nursing in Chicagoland

I'm just finishing up my BSN too and live in the Chicagoland area. I work at a local suburban hospital just 25 miles west of the city. I'd stick to outlying suburban areas --Edward Hospital in Naperville, Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield, Good Sam in Downers Grove, Hinsdale in Hinsdale, Elmhurst Memorial in Elmhurst, Rush-Copley in Aurora, ect. These are all hospitals in good areas in upper/middle class areas. Cost of living is of course higher in DuPage Co where most of these are located but it is in a safer environment and just 1/2 hour or so to downtown Chicago from most of these. You can still find a very affordable house, townhome, condo or apt if you know where to look.

I've worked at 3 of these hospitals I've mentioned and loved it! Pay was commesurate with experience. The bigger hospitals in Chicago are near some of the "bad areas" and you have to watch out while traveling to and from work --you may inadvertantly end up in a bad area. I grew up in Elmhurst, IL and have traveled to and from the city many, many times and know where the bad areas are and how to avoid them but as a newcomer I'd stick to the suburban areas. It's safer!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Why move from a small city environment only to live in the suburbs???
If you're moving to Chicago, you're young and like to meet people then I would never suggest living in the suburbs.

I live in Westmont (in DuPage county near the areas donna216 is talking about) and it is very hard to meet young people, and it's pretty boring. Naperville would be one exception to that, but it's really just almost as expensive as living in the city and it can't even compare to the Chicago atmosphere.

Yes there are shady neighborhoods, but you'll be able to afford to to live in a small apartment in a safe, vibrant, fun neighborhood. I'd suggest the city all the way!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,242 times
Why not try Plainfield? That's where the younger crowd is at because of more affordable living and you can always hang out in Naperville or downtown.

Because of all the new construction building in Plainfield, new home builders (condos and townhouses included) are cutting some major deals to sell their units. You can get a great deal on a brand new home!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Why move from a small city environment only to live in the suburbs???
If you're moving to Chicago, you're young and like to meet people then I would never suggest living in the suburbs.

I live in Westmont (in DuPage county near the areas donna216 is talking about) and it is very hard to meet young people, and it's pretty boring. Naperville would be one exception to that, but it's really just almost as expensive as living in the city and it can't even compare to the Chicago atmosphere.

Yes there are shady neighborhoods, but you'll be able to afford to to live in a small apartment in a safe, vibrant, fun neighborhood. I'd suggest the city all the way!
Why move to the Chicago area just to move to Plainfield and have a hell of a commute to work or for play? I do not see any point in that. You might as well move to Milwaukee or Indianapolis.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,015 times
Default New hire at Mt. Sinai

I'll start the end of Feb. I'm a new grad and will be paid $25 plus $3 extra for nights. I wanted a level 1 trauma center and got it! I'm 40 something and not afraid of the bad neighborhoods. Everybody's gotta live somewhere. It will be an adventure.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,480 times
I was googling (sp) something else and came across this post. I had to respond as I have been living in Chicago for the past 4 years (and trying to leave the most recent 2 of them). I have lived and worked in 4 states and in my opinion IL is the worst for nurses. The cost of living is expensive here especially if you want to live well and it's rising everyday (i.e. 10.25% sales taxes, $6.50/hr to park on the street by 2013, etc.). Houses here may not cost as much but everything else does. I was in San Francisco in March of this year and the cost of gas was the same as it was in Chicago. And you can't compare it to NY or CA which are more populated and have more major cities than IL. The pay and the working conditions are some of the worst I've dealt with (and I've worked at ~12 different hospitals via travel and agency in the city and burbs). IL is also the first place where I've had to have 2 jobs because of frequent cancellations due to low census (and the fact that they would rather over work you than hire). I was in San Francisco in March of this year and the cost of gas was the same as it was in Chicago.

The survey / article that is referenced is limited and therefore fluff. First, CA is a much more populated state than IL. Second, most hospitals in IL pay based on years of experience whereas hospitals in CA (I can only speak for Northern Cali) pay based on years of service. Third, most hospitals out west (AZ & CA) pay you based on your degree (BSN vs ADN); IL does not. Fourth, nurses are considered non-exempt in CA where the standard work day is 8hr therefore nurses who work 12hr are paid OT for hours worked in excess of 8hr and DT for hours worked in excess of 12hr. Lastly, they use LVNs/LPNs as nurses in CA; in IL they use them as CNAs. And CA has more LVN and ADN programs. You have to consider all these things when looking at statistics and trying to make comparisons; if they surveyed more LVNs, ADNs, and new hires in rural CA then the average salary would seem lower (nursing and standards are different in different states and different areas of that state). Specialty would also be a factor as OR & PACU nurses for example tend to work more hours and most take call. A new grad in CA (i.e. at UCSF & Stanford) makes $15 more per hour than I do base pay (and I have 8 yrs of experience and a master's degree) - many CA hospitals post their pay rates if you're willing to dig. Shift differential in most hospitals in CA is also based on a percentage of your base pay whereas it is a set dollar amount in IL. I have a friend who just moved here from NYC - she took a $12/hr pay cut and she is at one of the better paying hospitals in the city. To give another example, a new grad in NC (that is North Carolina) makes $18-21/hr - I was paying $650/mo in rent for a 1BR apt with a pool, movie theater, business center, gym, free parking, and the clubhouse served Starbucks coffee & continental breakfast M-F FREE! (and I didn't have a gas bill).

As a nurse who is well traveled and experienced, I feel I have the right to say that the pay here for nurses is low. But if I loved Chicago I might not care. So if you want to live in Chicago then that's all that matters; money should not be a factor unless you're up to your eye balls in debt. Live where you want to live and where you think you will be happy. Definitely live in the city if you want the "city" experience, and "bad", "shaddy" neighborhoods are relative - just keep an open mind; it's just different than what you're accustomed to (most of them were shaddy to me when I first moved here). I live downtown now 4 blocks from the Mag Mile and my renter's insurance is higher than when I lived in Lakeview or Humboldt Park because according to the insurance company crime is higher here (go figure). Good luck.

Last edited by tarheelrn2000; 12-13-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,179,136 times
Northwestern has lots of young, 20something year old, cool nurses. And it is in a great area with great transportation on express buses to all of the northsides desirable neighborhoods.

I don't have firsthand experience with the other hospitals nursing staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago