Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM

13 posts, read 31,647 times

Advertisements

I will most likely be going to Columbia College for gradate school in the fall. I am still waiting to hear from other schools. CC is my first choice. It will be my first time in Chicago and also first time living outside of California.

I have been researching where to live in Chicago and what cost of living might be. I started looking for apartments because CCC dorm prices are ridiculous. I went to school in Long Beach, CA so I am accustomed to looking for apartments.

I plan on moving in late July, possibly earlier. I prefer to live in the city my first year. I am 25, African-American female, Trying to find a one-bedroom, or if possible two, no more than 1300 a month and parking. I've never had to ride public transportation (raised in small desert town) and would like the option to ride my bike.

I've found different sites for apartments; Domu.com, craigslist/padmapper, and chicago reader are the most useful. After reading some of the forum posts, neighborhoods Humboldt Park, Lakeview, South Loop, Wicker Park have been recommended to others.

I will appreciate any advice you have on where else to look, what to look for, adjustments I need to make from living in California desert to Chicago, places I should go, renters insurance, car safety, etc.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM

725 posts, read 3,007,375 times
Did you go to CSULB?!

Once you visit Chicago, I think you'll find similarities to Long Beach, just on a much, much larger scale.

I think for $1300 with parking you can probably find a 1 bedroom in Lakeview and maybe parts of Lincoln Park - which would be maybe 20+ minutes on the train, and similar drive time with traffic. Your money can get you a bit further (2nd bedroom) in possibly Andersonville, Buena Park/Uptown, Edgewater... and certainly Rogers Park. However these neighborhoods are much north (45+ minutes on train/ 30+ minutes driving). Although the South Loop would be ideal since that would put you walking distance to school, I don't think you'll be able to find a 1bd/2bd in your price range with parking (studios will likely fit the bill).

I've never bothered with renters insurance, though that is something you would probably need to assess yourself (i.e. value of your contents and also consider what type of building [construction wise] you are living in).

Good luck with Grad School and if you pick Columbia, welcome to Chicago!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,147,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
...the South Loop would be ideal since that would put you walking distance to school, I don't think you'll be able to find a 1bd/2bd in your price range with parking (studios will likely fit the bill).
Really???

I don't follow south loop real estate, by any means, but my impression from friends has been that there are a lot of vacant units and they're having trouble filling the units with renters. For $1300 I would think you could find more than a studio+parking!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM

It's just my humble opinion - personally don't think she'd be able to find 2bd w/ parking at that price. 1bd with or without parking, perhaps with some digging. In my building (Sloop) the lowest 1bd/1ba I've seen is at $1500 without parking.

Although, with the announcement that The Lex will now be opening up to rentals next month (some 330+ units to fill), I see that some of the 1beds are dancing around OP's price range - not sure if that includes parking which could easily be another $150+. However, I think technically that building falls in either Chinatown or Near Southside neighborhoods - but still an easier commute to Columbia.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Did you go to CSULB?!
Yes, I went to CSULB. Go Beach?!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. 1300$ is the max price I want to spend if the place is too good to pass up. Around 1000$ would be ideal. Are there any other recommended neighborhoods?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,896,789 times
You can get cheaper than that I think. I think you can find some place safe for a thousand. A lot of students live in Logan Square. Stay east of Kimball or try to get a place near the blue line.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,607,824 times
You might also want to check out some West Loop or South Loop lofts. You can take the brown line or Michigan Ave bus to school depending upon your location.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feigenbaum View Post
Yes, I went to CSULB. Go Beach?!
GO Beach!!! L.A. native and Beach Alum here as well (c/o 2008) I really want to try and start an Alumni network around here, lots of SoCal transplants/grads here in Chicago but rarely any from CSULB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago