Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Heh. Kids these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
apparently she's had classes at both the Evanston campus and Chicago campus...this semester she'll be at Evanston, but she knows she'll be back in forth in future semester. The distance doesn't look to be that far on the map.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
apparently she's had classes at both the Evanston campus and Chicago campus...this semester she'll be at Evanston, but she knows she'll be back in forth in future semester. The distance doesn't look to be that far on the map.
It may not look very far on a map but the commute from one to the other is about an hour by public transportation. Splitting the difference seems the best way to go, with proximity to the Evanston campus being more likely just to stay within her budget. As noted before by msyelf and others, she'll come closest to her budget for a studio in Uptown, Rogers Park, and maybe Edgewater. Unfortunately there are some small but skeevy patches in all three, particularly Uptown and Rogers Park, and in or near those patches is where she's likely to find a studio near her price range. Particularly in Uptown. She'd probably have an easier time staying in her budget even further west in places like Albany Park but that would really make commuting to the Evanston campus a PITA.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM

60 posts, read 130,261 times
Just to cover bases, as I am certain she must have seen them already, mention to her that she might want to walk across the street and walk down Foster St., up and down Sherman, etc. There are handwritten signs all over the neighborhood about rooms/studios/etc. for rent in the victorian houses across from the campus with phone numbers to call. These are not listed in the paper or online. She has to hoof it but some of them are very reasonable and definitely within walking distance of the Evanston campus and the Foster El.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 557 times
Default studio in Evanston with the price of $685

It is a studio with the price of $685.
It has a single-bed, microwave, refrigerator, desk, and private bathroom!
If your friend is looking for a studio, this is the right place for her. Call 224-795-0297.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Hey all,

I have a friend who's currently enrolled in Northwestern. I just got off the phone with her, and she's needing to find a place to stay. She was previously living with a family member, but that arrangement will be ending soon and she's seeking a new place to stay. The issue I see is her budget, and I'm assuming craigslist sublets might be the best bet.

The requirements:

Close to Northwestern (<20 minutes from campus)
<$500/month

right now she's poked around at some studio apartments. A quick glance on craigslist gave me a few options close to campus within the price range. Does anyone have suggestions on places to look, avoid, etc? I appreciate it, i'm sure figuring this out will help relieve some of this young lady's stress. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago