Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Chicago area is 8.9%.
I was a little confused last year, because Chicago was heading down pretty quick there, to around 8.6%, then suddenly shot up during the summer to past 10%...and now is coming down.

The economy seemed ok last summer though around the city. I wonder if it was a huge burst of people re-entering the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
up a little again in the most recent numbers... it seems to be back and forth, buy trending down in the big picture.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Not to be a total jerk, but only managing one application per week doesn't exactly make it sound like you're taking the job search very seriously.
More is not necessarily better. One application per week is not nothing, especially if you're really serious about each application.

And then there is the whole psychology of being down and out. I know because I was there all too recently. Kudos to this person for at least doing something, whether or not it's a lot.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87

not bad, but been searching +5 months, sent 20+ applications and had only 1 interview. Employers in Chicago are (like in the rest major cities of this country) are very picky and selective.

They want you to know all the skills its impossible to truly know in your life, they want you to have 5 years of experience for a job that would do with 3 year and a college degree. Even as a fresh grad in college hiring programs, its difficult to get feet in. Unless you know someone and have insider, its difficult.

How many times you hear this:

Thank you for your interest in and applying for the Entry-level *insert here* position.
I have reviewed your resume and qualifications for the role. You seem like a very qualified professional. *or* Although we were impressed with your qualifications, we....
*then*

Unfortunately, we are not proceeding with your application... blah blah blah. the end.

And my college I graduated from, when it comes to career advice and resume, they seem to only focus on making accurate biography out of your resume but not make any effort in helping your resume get interviews.
Wait...do you not have a job AT ALL? Or do you have like, a part-time/full-time minimum wage job on the side and have applied for entry-level positions?

Have you tried craigslist or snagajob.com?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrawnick View Post
Wait...do you not have a job AT ALL?
Is that shocking in 2012?

Quote:
I imagine he has tried or at least heard of craigslist.

Ugh, this was the worst part when I was unemployed. Getting everyone's "brilliant advice".

Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Is that shocking in 2012?

I imagine he has tried or at least heard of craigslist.

Ugh, this was the worst part when I was unemployed. Getting everyone's "brilliant advice".
No, I didn't mean that in a shocking tone.

I was just trying to see what kind of job he was looking for, a minimum wage or an entry-level one or if he was one those people who are working a minimum wage job and trying to look for something BETTER.

Craigslist was just a simple suggestion. I don't know him or what EXACTLY he's done in his job search.

There's also,

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
Chicago jobs ~ find all jobs in Chicago, IL with one search | AllChicagoJobs.com
Chicago Jobs

Etc.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrawnick View Post
Wait...do you not have a job AT ALL? Or do you have like, a part-time/full-time minimum wage job on the side and have applied for entry-level positions?

When I was unemployed, getting a part time job made absolutely no sense at all because I would lose the unemployment benefits I was getting, which paid way more than a part time minimum wage job would. In fact, even working full time at minimum wage, the unemployment paid more. It made more sense to focus on finding a good job than it did to just take whatever position I could get.

Now, if a person isn't getting unemployment, then that is another story entirely...

Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 AM

116 posts, read 384,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
When I was unemployed, getting a part time job made absolutely no sense at all because I would lose the unemployment benefits I was getting, which paid way more than a part time minimum wage job would. In fact, Im emp even working full time at minimum wage, the unemployment paid more. It made more sense to focus on finding a good job than it did to just take whatever position I could get.

Now, if a person isn't getting unemployment, then that is another story entirely...
Im employed its.just I am currently overworked and dont likee my job and im am looking now for a better one closer.to my house. Im stuck im this waste of town in called dubuque in iowa working at a new delivery service ibm set up not long time ago. It has very high turnover rate. It might surprise you but each to his own entitled to his opinion. If yiu intelligent and smart think why a big high tech company would close few in large metro areas and open new in small towns.
All u have to do is google and read stories. And they are many times on this forum.

In looking for new job i look for these criteria:

IT/telecommunications/networking
Position involving analyxing, troubleshooting, configuring netwoking nodes, networks
Entry level requiring no more than 1 or 2 years of experience in it but not necesserily direct
Most positions like noc technician, networkmsupport or engineer are not entry level ad require on average 5 years of experience
Typical entry field is help desk support but if u dont get into a role that supports networks besides desktops or servers finding later job in desired field is gonnabe harder

Should be a large fortune 500 company
Consulting position involvin travel is ok but how most people deal. with it if tey have >80% travel?

I apply for most jobs using job boards like dice, and websites of companies i desire to work for such as motorola or att. Look also at schools and colleges. Look for government jobs but most require a lot of skills and experience i dont have and those more at entry level require you to join national guard first :-/ my job search is mostly local to chicago area, as i am tryimg for now stay close home with famiky friends and pay off student loans before i embark my journey anywhere far.
I also try to network and meet few people but so far i havent met yet anyone who knows if his manager is hiring. I try to stay away from craigslist because there is alot of scammers there and legitimate companies, especially large ones should utilize more proper channels for which they pay such as dice, indeed or internal taelo.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Most positions like noc technician, networkmsupport or engineer are not entry level ad require on average 5 years of experience
Typical entry field is help desk support but if u dont get into a role that supports networks besides desktops or servers finding later job in desired field is gonnabe harder
You should at least follow up with the NOC and support roles so you can find out whether they have a track record of promoting within into roles that you'd be interested in. I don't know what it is you're doing now, but if it's not directly relevant either, then why not at least get closer to where you want to be?

Also, you might be surprised how many hiring managers are willing/able to refer you to a more relevant position if they feel like you're good but that the role they have isn't what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
I try to stay away from craigslist because there is alot of scammers there and legitimate companies, especially large ones should utilize more proper channels for which they pay such as dice, indeed or internal taelo.
That's a mistake on your part.

Yes, there are scammers, etc, but there are also legitimate companies that hire through Craigslist. Especially small tech companies. The company I work for his hired people from Craigslist. When I worked at Orbitz.com pre-launch, we advertised on Craigslist. Being able to differentiate between scammers and real companies is a necessary skill. I mean, how can a company trust you with securing their network if you can't even secure your own job hunt without just blocking off a source of leads?

You're being picky, which is fine - I'm picky, too, because I work in a niche area of software development, but you're also not using all the resources available, which is a sure way to miss opportunities. There's nothing wrong with knowing what you want and being picky, but when you are picky you need to understand that you lose your right to complain about how long it's taken to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago